PDA

View Full Version : Servicing. Northern England.

bungle
08-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Looks like 'ive finally got a ramp sorted for this weekend to get all my welding done and get my Galant on the road after 3 weeks of frustration just looking at it sat on my drive. (Although it has not been a bad view to be fair).;)
So my next step is get the exhaust sorted, MOT then take my car in for a thorough service ( everything but cambelt) as the car has been stood for quite a while prior to me buying. I had a search on here but the only recommendations I could find were all way down south so I found a Ralliart service centre in Barnsley, by the sounds of it they don't do to many though, It is called Harrats and it is a Mitsubishi dealer. They have quoted me a price of £815:rolleyes3 Included in this is all oils and filters new spark plugs, and a vehicle health check.
I was just hoping for some advice on whether this seems ok on price and for any feedback on this dealership. And also if there is any members on here locally who could do the work as I would much rather trust an enthusiast with my car rather than a dealer, as you never now what your going to get with them, other than a hefty bill. That seems to be the only guarantee with them.
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

adaxo
08-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Where you about?
IMO £800+ for all oils and spark plugs is WWAAAAYYYYY tooo much.

bungle
08-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Thats what I thought, brake cleaning and thorough inspection etc is included + diagnostics but still!! 800 is a lot of money. They said cambelt change would have been an extra £375. Im in North Lincolnshire but originally from Stalybridge (near Manchester). So any where in the radius between here and there is ok. Any recomendations??

adaxo
08-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Think I could do it cheaper but its a matter of finding time for it if you don't mind travel to Worsley.

Have Evoscan for diagnostic and a bit of experience with health check.

bungle
08-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Cool. Worsley is no problem, gives me an excuse to get over that way for the weekend, via Snake Pass./Elmo I'll send you a PM now

chris g
09-01-2015, 11:32 AM
I have used Harrats for my VR-4's, RVR, Galant and Lancer RA - they can be expensive but do sell/service Evos occasionally and generally I trust them and their work...

If in North Lincs you could use NR Autosport - may be closer to you - very good reputation...

bungle
12-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Cheers Chris I'll have a look at NR. Gonna have to cancel the Harrats service anyway as work has just gone mad and my car is up on a ramp at the min anyway with what feels like half the floor pan hacked off.:violin: Will probably use them to do the cambelt change which is gonna need doing sooner rather than later.

bungle
03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Can anyone help with servicing? The car is now on the road and I have all parts/oils just need someone who can do the work properly, as described in the threads on the site as I'm hoping to run this car for many years and dont want to send it to a dealer only to have a half arsed job done. I tried NR autosport they said they only deal in Evos now. I've also found Japtech in Hull they could be an option but would rather have someone who will give the car the care it needs. Any help appreciated feel free to PM me. Ta

giblet
03-02-2015, 07:57 PM
I'd happily recommend Adam (adaxo) but like he's said it's a case of getting the car to him and the weather!

bungle
04-02-2015, 06:00 PM
I'd happily recommend Adam (adaxo) but like he's said it's a case of getting the car to him and the weather!

That's who was supposed to be doing it but I'm getting no response via PM. The car was put on the road Monday so getting there is not a problem, if the snow holds off. Just need a definite day preferably weekend or Friday afternoon as work is manic at the minute.
The guy who did my car is coming round later (apparently/duh) so should get them pics up tonight and I'll get him to look at your pics while he's here see what he thinks.

Davezj
05-02-2015, 02:23 PM
if you put and adaxo in the post it will flag it up to him.

might have just missed your pm.

Adam, I can pop round and help out on the day, to make it all doable in a day.

adaxo
05-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Yeah, read msg from bungle while was pissed (brother in law visit me from Irleand /drinkswine :beerchug::5shots:/Fever) and completely forget to reply, btw thanks giblet for txt me about it so yes I/we with Davezj can do it but its one obstacle on the way and that's regular work which make's me free to play with your or others car on Wednesdays only not sure how Dave situation is now but AFAIK he working full time too.

Or if you not mind to leave it with me in your free time then I can do it in my free time and you can collect it while you fee again. I know its pita but that's how we eventually can manage to sort it out. As Dave mention, do all what you want to do (and do it properly) could be a problem within one day for one man.

bungle
05-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Cheers people. I don't mind helping out myself I work in engineering and am used to removing and replacing pipes etc just on a bigger scale. Would prefer to help out to be honest and learn a bit. Wednesdays are not a problem I can book the day off tomorrow, probably best bet is the 18th as it gives plenty of notice for everyone. Can always cancel it if not convenient. Just let me know if this is OK. Ta

adaxo
06-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Yes 18th is fine.

Davezj
06-02-2015, 02:38 PM
adaxo

i should be able to do the 18th as well I will have to take the day off work to do it though.

so what exactly is required, just to clarify, is it?
1. all fluids and filters only by all fluids do you mean all fluids (engine oil and filter, manual gear box or auto box and filter? transfer case, rear diff gear oil, rear diff cluch pack ATF, rear diff and AYC pump ATF, coolant, brake fluid).
2. all fluids and spark plugs and health check (boost leak test, bearings, suspension arms, etc.)
3. all fluids and spark plugs and health check and cambelt.

Are the rocker cover gaskets and plug seals leaking a all?
if so when doing the spark plugs it is the best time to change them as well.

who is providing fluids, filters and gaskets and other parts?

bungle
06-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Hi. Cheers adaxo, Davezj much appreciated. Yeah all oils and filters except engine oil as I had this done along with the filter. Also need everything else you mentioned except cambelt unless you meant just a check of the cambelt as I dont have that part. I have the fuel filter, ATF filter 12 ltr of Amsoil ATF + 2ltr of SVG oil + air filter although I'll probably do this myself if I get enough time and I have sparkplugs. Will buy some coolant as well before then. Any recommendations? I couldnt tell you about the gaskets, plug seals is there a way I could check this? The only places I know that are leaking is the rear n/s diff and the front offside brakes which need a new copper washer apparently. I also have the injector seals supplied by yourself. Are these much of a job to change as if possible would like this doing too and I would obviously cover the extra cost.

adaxo
06-02-2015, 10:19 PM
initially settlements was point 1 and 2 without brakes but plus injector seals if necessary Davezj so pretty much as Gib's car we did last time.

Davezj
07-02-2015, 02:03 AM
sound good to me, i will book the day off.

giblet
07-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Love it when a plan comes together. Adam did you get my PM regarding the work on my rustbucket?

adaxo
07-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Love it when a plan comes together. Adam did you get my PM regarding the work on my rustbucket?

Yeah got it and reply already, seems like they're as buses but now this buses are followed by datsun :-) to spice things up.

sound good to me, i will book the day off.

Great, looks like we catch up eventually.

giblet
07-02-2015, 04:41 PM
I want to see the Datsun boat! Hopefully it will be there when I drop mine off.

bungle
09-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Cool. I'll see you then. Could you PM me an address at some point and let me know what times ok. I'll be driving over the night before so anytime is good for me.

Hell yeah, snake pass here I come./rally Cheers for the help fella.

bungle
15-02-2015, 03:36 PM
adaxo, Davezj. Hope your ok just checking that everything is still ok for Wednesday. I have everything I need for service and can be there at whatever time suits for both of you. Thanks

Davezj
15-02-2015, 07:42 PM
well i have the day booked off work. adaxo, what time are we going to kick off.
gareth, make sure you have everything to bring round to do all the jobs, if you don't bring the bit and i mean all the bits washers seals etc, the jobs can't get done. unless you have arranged with adam to supply some of the parts.

adaxo
15-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi, yes im good to go on wed, did you get oil filter for gbox too if you need one? time wise, if you could come over at 8ish? it will give us plenty of time to do all jobs, me think, Davezj ?

edit, well Dave I got some of atf and some crush washers for oil drain plug, you have to bring set of inj seals and Gareth should have rest, ah btw I have to format my hdd so its empty in my notebook means no evoscan ect so if you could bring yours with you just in case I not manage to set my till wed

Davezj
15-02-2015, 07:46 PM
sound good to me, i can be round at your before 8.00

adaxo
15-02-2015, 07:48 PM
sound good to me, i can be round at your before 8.00

:iagree:

Davezj
15-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Hi, yes im good to go on wed, did you get oil filter for gbox too if you need one? time wise, if you could come over at 8ish? it will give us plenty of time to do all jobs, me think, Davezj ?

edit, well Dave I got some of atf and some crush washers for oil drain plug, you have to bring set of inj seals and Gareth should have rest, ah btw I have to format my hdd so its empty in my notebook means no evoscan ect so if you could bring yours with you just in case I not manage to set my till wed

yes i will bring my laptop, and a set of injector seals.

bungle
15-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Sounds good the earlier I set off the better really, avoid the lovely Manchester traffic I miss so much. Heres a full list of parts I have

1. 6 x Denso Spark plugs
2. Fuel filter ( this could be t#*t of a job due to corrosion on pipes)
3. Transmission Filter
4. 2L of Amsoil SVG
5. 12L of ATF Fluid
6.1L of Comma Dot 4 Synthetic brake fluid ( The brakes are brembos will this oil be ok?)
7. 1L of Green Silicate based Coolant
8. 5L of de-ionised water
9. Amsoil transmission flush. (Dont know wether this is recommended? Oil looks quite orange/brownish on the dipstick)

Thats everything, is there anything Im missing? I dont have any washers/ seals at all other than the injector seals off yourself. If you could let me know what I need and I'll make sure I have them or if you can supply them thats great. Could you send me the address also. Thanks Davezj, adaxo

Davezj
15-02-2015, 09:47 PM
i will let adam give you his address, i don't actually know it i just now where he lives and how to get there.

bungle
15-02-2015, 10:00 PM
i will let adam give you his address, i don't actually know it i just now where he lives and how to get there.

No worries is there anything missing that you can see?

Davezj
16-02-2015, 12:44 AM
you might be a bit short on the ATF with only 12L which is enought to do the gearbox oil change but not the rear diff and AYC pump which will need another 3-4L of ATF to do a full change. but adam says he has some ATF available for this perpoese so all is good there.

we will have to find some copper compresion washers to fix the leak on the brakes.
the Comma dot 4 fliud is ok for replacing the brake fluid but it would not be my personal choice i would use Racing blue dot 4 fluid, but that is for track confidance. but we will probably need more than 1L to flush trought all the system and brembos contain quite a lot of fluid compaired to the original calipers.

The normal coolant fitted to the VR4 is glycol based coolant green or blue and you should only replace like for like glycol based for glycol based coolant otherwise you can give yourself some horrible issues. but the thing you should not do is Mix glycol based with more modern OAT (i think it stands for Organic Acid Tecnology) if you mix them it can cause a brown sludge to build in the cooling system and block up passages in the cooling system which is bad.
it just makes me ask the question what is Silicate based coolant. compared to glycol based. bring it along and we can have a read of the bottle before using it and if it is not suitable we will be able to pop out and get some glycol based stuff that should be ok depending on what has been used in the ar before. but if you don't know what was used in the car when it was last changed then we can do a clever flushing processwhat will replace all the collant with plain water, then a partial drain of the cooling system and top up with neat coolant so it mixes in the engine correctly.

Now for the fuel filter, please make sure you have as little fuel in the fuel tank when you turn up as removing the fuel filter will cause fuel to pour out of the pipe due to the weight of the fuel in the tank pressing on the fuel in the pipe then a syphoning effect will try and empty the contense of the tank on the floor. but if the tank is nearly empty then it will not have this effect.
i have changed a fuel fiter with a fuel tank of fuel and i think i got about 15-20L of fuel coming out of the fuel pipe before i could get the ne filter back on the pipe. luckerly i had planed for the and it all drained into a big bucket but that had to be filtered before it was put back in the tank.

what plug have you bought for the car yes they are denso but what heat range are they IK20, IK22, IK24.

just a few questions and concern for you, but nothing major.

but apart from that

bungle
16-02-2015, 07:18 AM
The plugs are platinum ones not iridium but they are 20's. Everything was sent as a bundle, the filters are all blueprint parts. Il get some more info about the coolant when I get back from work but the full flush may be the best bet as whats in there at the minute doesnt look too healthy. Cheers

Nick Mann
16-02-2015, 08:45 AM
1l of brake fluid should be enough. /yes

Davezj
16-02-2015, 10:24 AM
That is good to know nick,
Another good reason for changing to racing is the colour change. It makes it easy to see when fresh new fluid is coming out of the nipple. With clear fluid I would tend to use more to be on the safe side to ensure that all the old fluid has been purged out.

bungle
16-02-2015, 11:13 AM
The coolant is monoethylene glycol, silicate based is this ok?

Davezj
16-02-2015, 05:38 PM
The coolant is monoethylene glycol, silicate based is this ok?

that will be fine as long as it is glycol based.

bungle
17-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Cool. I'm on my way over now I'll see you both in the morning. Thanks