PDA

View Full Version : UK: Guaging Interest for 96 Legnum VR4 Fresh Import

bernmc
22-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Just guaging interest:

As the forum regulars will know, my 96 Legnum VR4 will be arriving mid-March, and should be SVA'd and on UK roads by the end of March. I've been speaking to one of the Japanese agents about importing later cars + model reports and possibly broken cars. I'm still very wary of the whole thing, but in order to make a start, I'd have to sell the car I've already bought and start again!

So, would there be any interest in the car (no point in me going ahead with the other stuff if not!)

Details to be confirmed on landing:
1996 Legnum Vr4 (Purple)
41000 miles
High Auction grade: 4.5/b
Essentially unmodified/clean, apart from a turbo timer and rear strut brace. May have aftermarket shocks
FSH (Japanese Ah So)
Fully SVA'd, UK registered and Cat1 Alarm

Basically, I bought the highest auction grade/lowest mileage unmodified car I could find - my best bet at getting something that was unstressed and well-looked after, with the aim of keeping the car until the wheels eventually fall off!

Pics Here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7016)

I'd have to get £6600 to break even, so might put it in the trader for £6995?

TRADE-INS?

I might consider a trade-in for anyone looking to upgrade, BUT:

The object of the exercise is to get my money back to import the next car, so I could not offer a 'private sale price'
I'd be looking at sticking the trade-in on fleabay or in the local paper
As a guide, look at the trade-in value on Parkers (http://www.parkers.co.uk) and remember that that price is for an average of 10000 miles/annum for cars with a dealer history- values fall off considerably if you've done more mileage.
i.e. you will DEFINITELY get more money for your car if you sold it yourself! If you want me to take on the risk/burden of selling for you, expect it to be reflected in the price!
Any thoughts? Sales of these cars seems very slow, but this might be a reflection of the rubbish being imported...?

:inquisiti

ritch_w
22-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Bern

why are you wanting to go through all this hassle again? :inquisiti

just curious!

Ritch

bernmc
22-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Believe it or not, I've enjoyed it! I still watch all the auctions and find myself wanting to bid. Think I'm one of those people that get more of the process than the result. It's just the 'end selling' that I'm not in to - definitley not a salesman :(

Thing is, I know the system now, so its not a big thing anymore - I have all the contacts, the transport, the SVA stuff etc etc. I'd love to be able to keep the Purple Legnum while importing again, but I don't have the cash. It's no big deal if I can't carry on - just another hobby!

ritch_w
22-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Believe it or not, I've enjoyed it! I still watch all the auctions and find myself wanting to bid. Think I'm one of those people that get more of the process than the result. It's just the 'end selling' that I'm not in to - definitley not a salesman :(

Thing is, I know the system now, so its not a big thing anymore - I have all the contacts, the transport, the SVA stuff etc etc. I'd love to be able to keep the Purple Legnum while importing again, but I don't have the cash. It's no big deal if I can't carry on - just another hobby!

I see what you are saying Bern, something i have thought of myself (and countless others no doubt as well) as a hobby, but i think the biggest sticking point you'll find is selling at this end, unfortunately if you try to flog your legnum, you'll find there is not a great demand amongst those that are blissfully ignorant of these fine vehicles - which is why most importers probably stick with Skylines, Evos and Scoobies etc as people know about them and they probably shift alot quicker than VR4s.

So far there has been zero interest in my VR4, which kinda surprises me... but there ya go!!!

good luck!

paulmc
22-02-2005, 10:16 PM
very good idea but i think ritch_w is right, and at 6600 you are getting close to dealer prices for that age of car

bernmc
23-02-2005, 02:49 AM
So far there has been zero interest in my VR4, which kinda surprises me... but there ya go!!!
Similar situation in the autotrader, and fleabay unfortunately- the reason behind the big boy's reluctance to produce a model report for the cars I think.

I'll wait and see - it's not exactly going to break my heart if I end up keeping the car :happy: after all, its what I wanted!