PDA

View Full Version : stumped

Zeke
22-02-2005, 07:40 PM
guys i have a challenging one for ya..

my friend has a GTO with 60k miles, JDM, n/a, 1991 model.
just yesterday a severe problem surfaced, heres what happens:

when you drive the car, it will go about 20 yards, then the gas pedal becomes useless, in that any pumping of the gas pedal will rev the engine but won't drive the car forward. the car will gradually slow to a stop but the engine is still on and you can rev it by pressing the gas pedal, but it won't go. turning off and on results in the same thing, car goes for about 20 yards then same **** happens.

reversing gives same problem, 20 yards, then the car wont move, it will only rev
i am completely stumped and have no clue on fixing this problem, except i believe something is wrong with the tranny.
is there anyone out there who can help diagnose this or tell me where to look for possible problems?

thnx

ritch_w
22-02-2005, 09:24 PM
is it auto or manual?

if its manual it sounds like the clutch slipping

if its auto - its either going to be serious (and expensive) or something simple.
Based on other posts on auto box probs on the site - the 1st things to look at are all the electrical contacts (clean them etc) and get the tranny fluid flushed and replaced - if the fluid is brown and sludgy it aint going to work!

dunno what else to suggest, maybe some of the guys that have had autobox probs will have more info / help for you

good luck!!!

Kenneth
22-02-2005, 09:26 PM
also check the fluid.

Zeke
22-02-2005, 10:08 PM
is it auto or manual?

it's an autobox. i checked transmission fluids, seemed ok, the car recently had an oil change as well. there is a squeal/screeching noise when you step on gas sometimes, seems to be coming from the timing belt. which i know needs to be replaced at his mileage, but i dont think that has anything to do with this problem.
anything else?

Jimbo
22-02-2005, 10:33 PM
If it's an auto, and it goes for a short distance before stopping, despite revving, then I'm guessing that the engine sounds fine and that this is just some sort of fault with the torque converter.....??

Kieran
22-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Screeching sometimes, eh? I wonder if that's a brake band or a wet clutch in the autobox wailing? :inquisiti

Polabear
23-02-2005, 06:58 PM
there is a squeal/screeching noise when you step on gas sometimes, seems to be coming from the timing belt. which i know needs to be replaced at his mileage, but i dont think that has anything to do with this problem.
anything else?

I can guarantee it is not the cambelt causing a squeal........ /yes that would be more of a loud BANG followed by :bigcry:

Zeke
16-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, we got around to replacing the headgast and it worked. but for like 2 weeks, the problem came back and this time we're really like :bigcry: