PDA

View Full Version : ECU Re-Map

carfanatic
21-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Hello, can anyone help getting my FL ECU remapped please. There are a few previous related threads but nothing recent. Colin.

Ghost_2008
22-01-2015, 01:30 PM
There was a brief period where a few members offered a service, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

On occasion and ecu will come up for sale, or it can be done diy... I think eurospec can do it, but they are in Guilford....

carfanatic
23-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Cheers Adam Do they need the car to remap or could I just send the ECU?

Ghost_2008
23-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Give them a bell, the website link below should take you to their home page...

www.eurospec-2000.co.uk

Erni902
23-01-2015, 10:49 PM
I would personally not simply send someone my ECU to flash then send back. They could quite easily remove fuel cut and raise boost to 1.5 bar etc with no knowledge of supporting mods and more worryingly the health of your car with such a map.

I wouldve thought Ben would want the car down there and on the dyno whilst he remaps as this is the safest way of doing it due to being able monitor things such AFR's and Knock Counts etc.

Ive been to several dyno days and no 2 cars have had the same results even with matching mods.

As I say this is simply my personal view. Its entirely up to you if you feel comfortable enough to send it away and have it flashed with a generic map. But just be sure you read all the fine print and disclaimers etc as I am sure there will be a line or 2 that says if your car blows up its not their fault as they didnt have the car.

Ghost_2008
24-01-2015, 01:54 AM
I would personally not simply send someone my ECU to flash then send back. They could quite easily remove fuel cut and raise boost to 1.5 bar etc with no knowledge of supporting mods and more worryingly the health of your car with such a map.

I wouldve thought Ben would want the car down there and on the dyno whilst he remaps as this is the safest way of doing it due to being able monitor things such AFR's and Knock Counts etc.

Ive been to several dyno days and no 2 cars have had the same results even with matching mods.

As I say this is simply my personal view. Its entirely up to you if you feel comfortable enough to send it away and have it flashed with a generic map. But just be sure you read all the fine print and disclaimers etc as I am sure there will be a line or 2 that says if your car blows up its not their fault as they didnt have the car.

I'm agree, I would expect they would want the car to be on the safe side... But if you contact them they should be able to talk you through it all...

TAR
24-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Ben is not very keen to remap factory ECU's so he may say no. His prefers tuning using piggyback or aftermatket ECU's.

I would still ask him anyhow.

:happy:

carfanatic
25-01-2015, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys and the link Adam. I'll bell them on Monday.

giblet
25-01-2015, 12:58 AM
Are there no local members who could flash on a map for you at your own risk?

carfanatic
25-01-2015, 09:58 PM
doesn't appear so?

Ghost_2008
26-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Sorry to hear that... They know vr4s very well, most scratch their heads with our cars.... I assume the old club members who used to provide a service are no longer about otherwise I'm sure they would have replied.....

carfanatic
31-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Anyone?

Ghost_2008
01-02-2015, 10:48 AM
An ecu has just come up for sale, this would give an extra 20bhp if your vr4 is an auto.... I have a manual ecu in my auto and it works fine but I may have traction control....

carfanatic
01-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Yes mine is an Auto, where is the one for sale?

Nick Mann
01-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Yours is a facelift, so already has 280. The only cars with 260 were pre facelift autos.

carfanatic
01-02-2015, 11:43 PM
Thanks Nick, I found it and did see it was a PFL.

carfanatic
01-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Is this the reply I should have expected when asked about remapping the brum brum. Cos i didn't.

Good Morning

There are 2 main ways to map these.(Seems he meant 3 in fact, read on)

1. Open ECU. This is freeware and it is unsupported but we can do it. We charge £300 plus VAT. However, unfortunately we do not guarantee or warrant it in anyway as it is not a professional supported software.

2. We can supply, fit and map a standalone which has more flexibility, but is also more in terms of cost. Vipek £1595 plus VAT and Link G4 ££1495 plus VAT are our most popular options for remap on the VR4.

There is another option, for £995 plus VAT we would like to offer the Link ATOM at a discounted trial price. To discuss this further, please call Ben on 01483 234879.

Kindest Regards

swinks
01-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Pretty much right.
re: 1. Not OpenEcu, rather EcuFlash in our case. Reputable tuner re-map cost between 250-350 quid. That's Evo prices, i.e. Ecu-Tek remaps. Usually includes all-day dyno to get maps right. Unfortunately not much gain from re-flash, but stiil something. Beware, that vr4 ecu is unknown territory for most tuners.
re: 2. Standalone is the best and most expensive option. The most popular in Mitsi are ViPec and Link G4. Depends which one is preferred by tuner. Each has his own likes and dislikes and tricks, i.e. Eurospec recommend ViPec, Indigo-GT likes Link G4. Standalone unit can use both MAF and MAP signals for max gains. Quoted prices are similar with all tuners, those should include also necessary wiring, sensors, hardware and necessary dyno session.
re: 3. God knows what it is. I assume some piggy-back system. Not to my like :)

adaxo
01-05-2015, 08:43 PM
What a real pro company who cant spell correctly what they offer? /duh /haz

wintertidenz
02-05-2015, 02:16 AM
The Link Atom isn't suitable for our cars, it only has four injector drivers.

http://www.linkecu.com/products/engine-management-ecus/g4_atom

Davezj
02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Pretty much right.
re: 1. Not OpenEcu, rather EcuFlash in our case. Reputable tuner re-map cost between 250-350 quid. That's Evo prices, i.e. Ecu-Tek remaps. Usually includes all-day dyno to get maps right. Unfortunately not much gain from re-flash, but stiil something. Beware, that vr4 ecu is unknown territory for most tuners.
re: 2. Standalone is the best and most expensive option. The most popular in Mitsi are ViPec and Link G4. Depends which one is preferred by tuner. Each has his own likes and dislikes and tricks, i.e. Eurospec recommend ViPec, Indigo-GT likes Link G4. Standalone unit can use both MAF and MAP signals for max gains. Quoted prices are similar with all tuners, those should include also necessary wiring, sensors, hardware and necessary dyno session.
re: 3. God knows what it is. I assume some piggy-back system. Not to my like :)

quick question,
what do you gain going for a stand alone ECU over reflashing the factory ECU?

i presume there will be an option for use a MAP sensor over the Factory MAF and the option to tune on the fly as you drive, but apart from that, what do you gain.

billybobboot
02-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Depending on the ecu alot.
You can run map rather than maf.
Run seconary injector.
Far closer ignition and fuel settings.
A good aftermarket ecu map you can map the car to almost perfect fiel air ratio.
To give you an idea most ecus are mappable per 500-1000rpm levels
Good aftermarket can do every 100 or even 50rpm levels. Means every 100 rpm you can map the timing and fuel. You can also use them for adding extra items like nos or water injection

billybobboot
02-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Same way you dont tend to see race cars spitting flames unless anti lag is on. The maps are near perfect. Yes a popping exhaust sounds good but its alot of unburnt fuel.

carfanatic
02-05-2015, 10:45 PM
wintertidenz Your link was useful and I agree with you the ATOM isn't for the VR4. Atik I not sure what is spelt wrong but hey if you say so, I agree with you.

In truth I hadn't realised it would cost so much, a lot of money which I could spend improving the aesthetics such as leather for the interior. On that note I have picked a poppy red, Yellow Inserts with heavy yellow top thread to finish.

carfanatic
02-05-2015, 11:14 PM
BTW after all this it's back to the original plan, Turbo Boost!

Kenneth
04-05-2015, 01:32 AM
quick question,
what do you gain going for a stand alone ECU over reflashing the factory ECU?

It depends.

OEM ECUs are very good at doing what they are programmed to do, which is running the OEM engine within its standard hardware parameters and detecting when these parameters are no longer met. In this regard they usually out-perform standalone ECUs in terms of functionality and reliability.

Once you start changing the OEM hardware, the very code that made the OEM ECU so reliable and functional is starting to bite back, making it hard to change some things as well as the potential for un-expected behavior and results.
The further you get from the OEM hardware specification, the worse this becomes as limits are reached.
Additionally OEM ECUs are usually difficult (if not impossible) to tune in real-time.

Standalone ECUs have a high amount of flexibility and will allow much more variation in the hardware you can control. They also publish all the parameters for the tuner to access and allow tuning of these in real-time.
Because of this tuners are able to get accurate and reliable tunes on a much wider variety of hardware. They also allow the addition of other features which the OEM ECU probably didn't, for legal cost and environmental reasons.

Whether a certain feature is a gain or a loss is entirely dependent on your personal requirements and taste.

One thing which is true regardless is that the quality of your tune is dependent on how good your tuner is. You don't have to look far on the internet to see this re-iterated over and over again.

Davezj
04-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Thank for the responses to the question I asked, it pretty much as I expected. It is very nice to get other peoples take on the subject.