PDA

View Full Version : Replacing heater barbs

mattnz
03-02-2015, 04:03 AM
I've broken both my heating element barbs getting the engine out (they were heavily corroded). What is the easiest way to replace them? I don't particularly want to take off the dash, or regas the AC :/

Adam.Findlay
03-02-2015, 11:06 AM
sorry to let you know but its either dash out or letting the AC gas out.
If you let the AC gas out you can pull the condenser unit out with only removing the glovebox, and then get to the Heater core barbs whilst leaving the heater core in place, (Each barb is held on by 4 screws each.) once the old ones are unscrewed and out its a bit of a fiddle to get the new ones in and on with the O-ring seated properly but it is doable.

I can grab some snaps of what to do for the dash out method as my dash is currently out at the moment if you wish but dash out is a much bigger job. and I'm not entirely sure you can get away with not degassing the AC this way as Ive never done a heater core this way.

mattnz
03-02-2015, 11:50 PM
Hmmmm, thought that might be the case. Should probably detach the heater hoses from the engine end next time!

I've currently got all the bits and pieces (clock, vents, instruments etc) and the steering wheel off, so the dash is just sitting there, how much of a job is it from there?

Adam.Findlay
04-02-2015, 11:54 AM
provided the vents are out it wouldnt be that hard. the hardest part is getting the two side vents out IMO

mattnz
05-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Wow, got it out. A few less screws and clips in there now! What a mission, but I suppose I saved money on the regassing haha.

kiwigalant
05-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Mine crumbled on my VR4 when I took them off, I'll not take it off that side next time haha.