PDA

View Full Version : forged piston and rods

FTOLTD
21-07-2003, 05:32 PM
if anyone has a old piston and rod from the 6A13 engine could you please let me know as i need a sample to send to the USA to get JE forged piston Made and some Pauter Rods.

Your help will ensure that we can all get them in the future once i have done it i will post a link to the companies website

I am sure it will only be a mater of time before one of use gives there engine to much nitrous or boost. just remeber to save a piston and rod for us

BraindG
21-07-2003, 05:46 PM
not found any at a scrappies yet?

Nick VR4
21-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Why the US ?
Are you in the UK , EU , APAC or the moon ;)
Check this thread on the MLR

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?threadid=15082

FTOLTD
21-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Im in AUstralia and all my research shows that getting them done in the USA is cheaper than any where else and JE forged pistons are one of the best, the rods well you can go with a few differant brands

check this site out for performance parts

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

a set of 6 custom made JE pistons and pauter Rods for 1575$USD thats about 1000 pound

LOMY
21-07-2003, 06:50 PM
What about the crankshaft ? Isnt that likely to suffer if power is boosted enough so that forged pistons are necessary ?

FTOLTD
21-07-2003, 07:34 PM
I am currently getting 400 Hp out of a 6a13 engine with stock internals

The stock crank should hold up ok with forged pistons and some decent rods, i will be also using ceramic coatings on the pistons when i do the internals, will balance the crank and cryo treat all the internal parts and do lots of other work but most japanese motors these days are quite well balanced from the factory and it is not like it was 20 years ago

The crank is reciprocating mass and dosent have to stop and change direction like a piston, what you really have to worry about is detonation.

So long as your timing is right and you dont let the fuel lean out you should be ok. A good aftermarket computer and some one who is good at tuning the aftermarket computer is what is required, the forged pistons and rods are to take the extra stress so you can pump up the boost. it also depends how you plan to drive it. There is a lot of variables but getting hold of certain parts to start the process is what is needed so that in the future other people can then just buy them from a company that has already made them and has the measurements all on computer or even has them in stock. Just asking for a bit of help so we can all benefit when the time comes

mossy
22-07-2003, 11:07 AM
....i've just had my motor freshened up under warranty...big ends, rings, guides and stem seals to try and locate an annoying puff of smoke.
when it was apart i was talking with the dealer and they tell me the cranks in these are nitrited so the bottom end should be almost bulletproof.
interestingly they reckon the oil pumps are shock proof as well and don't replace them in a rebuild...sounds odd eh

FTOLTD
22-07-2003, 11:41 AM
that is good news

could you by any chance get hold of an old piston and rod from the dealer who did the work to your motor

mossy
23-07-2003, 06:05 AM
....asked this morning; they have never had to replace one in the few vr4's they have worked on...sorry

FTOLTD
23-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks for asking mate

well the search goes on, eventually will find them somewhere

LOMY
23-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Why not just splash out and buy one ! If you are thinking of spending the equivalent of £1000 for a forged 6 then it seems like a relatively small additional expense.

FTOLTD
24-07-2003, 02:10 AM
if i have to I will

just hoping to find a old used one

mossy
24-07-2003, 06:15 AM
http://www.kempys.co.nz/