PDA

View Full Version : WTB Turbo Elbows

giblet
09-02-2015, 03:50 PM
After turbo elbows for both turbos. The idiot who fitted my downpipes ended up mullering the threads on mine and subsequent efforts to repair them haven't worked. Downpipes have been leaking as a result. Also does anyone know if they require any gaskets when being fitted to the turbos? Cheers

fassi1
09-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Yes the do require gaskets. I think I even have front one.

giblet
09-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Do you have the front elbow or front gasket?

fassi1
09-02-2015, 08:50 PM
I shoul have front gasket if you interested.

Davezj
09-02-2015, 09:30 PM
it is possible for the studs to be drilled out for the eblows and a bolt fitted from the back of the drilled out stud hole and weld the the head of the bolt on the back of the turbo elbow.
that is what i would do.
you can fit stainless holts fo they don't rust in the future.
the original studs are M12 (12mm diameter).

giblet
09-02-2015, 11:35 PM
it is possible for the studs to be drilled out for the eblows and a bolt fitted from the back of the drilled out stud hole and weld the the head of the bolt on the back of the turbo elbow.
that is what i would do.
you can fit stainless holts fo they don't rust in the future.
the original studs are M12 (12mm diameter).

Not sure if Adam fancies the rigmarole. Another garage already tried fitting a retaining nut but a daft speed bump caused the downpipes to come loose again so looking for the best permanent solutio.

Davezj
10-02-2015, 01:16 AM
well if you can't find replacement elbows you could try a stud extractor and some heat to yo can insert a new stud into the treaded holes in the elbow.
i have a toolthat wil grip the stud correctly and if it will come loose it will undo it but if it is stuck fast and it snaps off then it is a drill out job and weld a bolt in there, but that depends on the elbow coming off the turbo, which it should do. a good soaking in WD40 before removing rusted bolts is always good prep.
but if you are going to have to swap the elbos then they will have to come off anyway.

giblet
16-02-2015, 12:31 AM
Bump. The price for new ones was way more than I expected, does anyone have a pair sat around?

Davezj
16-02-2015, 01:08 AM
this is why i suggested the drilling out and bolt welding.

don't take this the wrong way, but i might be able to do the drilling out and welding the bolts in, i will have to practice my mig welding before letting you know if i can do it, as have not done a lot of welding recently but i did a bit a few years ago and i quite enjoyed it.
for some personal stuff, i have to do some welding soon, i need to get back into welding soon so i am going to have to jump in at some point, which i will hopfully doing next weekend, but no promises. i have to convince myself i can still make a welding wand work for me.
But if i am satisfied i can do the job, your turbo elbows should be to much of an issue as long as the different metals welds ok. but if not i do have some turbo elbows that i don't realy want to get rid of but if the welding does not work on your turbo elbows then i can give you mine as a replacement. But as i say i don't realy want to part with them. so i will do my best to make it work with your elbows.
how does that sound.

if you can get some original elbows for a resonable price then go for it, but the offer is there if you can't find any anywhere. it is fall back plan if things don't work out.

peter thomson
16-02-2015, 09:41 AM
I think I have a spare set. I'll try and remember to have a look tonight

giblet
16-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Cheers for the offer Dave. Might take you up on it it Peter doesn't have a spare set. Any luck Peter?

c0xxy
16-02-2015, 11:58 PM
if peter doesn't find his, i'm pretty sure i have some still bolted to an old pair of turbos in me garage

adaxo
17-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Like a bloody buses :-)

giblet
17-02-2015, 01:43 AM
Like a bloody buses :-)

As long as the price is right I don't mind!

peter thomson
17-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Didn't get a chance to look last night as our dog had an op yesterday. Should be able to check tonight

dazjb
17-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Giblet, if your going to bin your knackered turbo elbows I'll take the rear one from you. I need one to use as a template for modifying so condition isn't important.

Cheers

giblet
17-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Didn't get a chance to look last night as our dog had an op yesterday. Should be able to check tonight

Cheers.

Giblet, if your going to bin your knackered turbo elbows I'll take the rear one from you. I need one to use as a template for modifying so condition isn't important.

Cheers

Aye you're welcome to it. I'll drop you a PM once my old ones have been replaced.

peter thomson
17-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Sorry just a pair of manifolds, no elbows

giblet
17-02-2015, 09:06 PM
if peter doesn't find his, i'm pretty sure i have some still bolted to an old pair of turbos in me garage

How much would you like for them?

Sorry just a pair of manifolds, no elbows
Dang. Thanks for looking.

c0xxy
17-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Not a clue mate... Make an offer?

giblet
17-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Not a clue mate... Make an offer?

£75?

c0xxy
17-02-2015, 09:54 PM