PDA

View Full Version : Legnum VR4 Questions (Power steering, AWS and Fuel)

Tarps87
10-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Hi

I am looking to own a Legnum VR4 (ideally facelift), I have been reading up on the different specs, common issues, servicing, etc and have a couple of questions that I cannot find answers to. I’m hoping someone here can help me out.

1) I have been told that a common issue with the standard Galants was the power steering rack failing, is this a common issue with the VR4?
2) I believe the 7th gen Galant had AWS, as it is not mentioned with regards the 8th gen is it safe to assume the rear wheels are fixed?
3) I cannot see it written anywhere but as with other Japanese performance cars, should it be run on a higher octane fuel?

Thanks

Daniel

chris g
10-02-2015, 07:45 PM
AFAIK it was 6th Gen that had AWS...

And yes, use SUL...

Ghost_2008
10-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Generally in think the steering rack is fine, if you apply full lock the pump keeps going, you can hear it. Simply take a little steering off and it stops... This can cause issues with the pump but not the rack.

Use as close as possible to 100 octane, 95 can cause it to run a safer map and reduce power.

No rear wheel steer..

Nick Mann
11-02-2015, 12:10 AM
Rear wheel steer was replaced with AYC.
Rack ends can wear, but they are cheap to replace. I haven't seen many with a dead rack.

Tarps87
11-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the responses, that's all my questions answered.

That's useful to know about the pump on full lock, thanks

Davezj
11-02-2015, 01:06 PM
The rear does have a small passive steering effect when the suspension loads up, the rear toe control arm shifts the angle of the rear wheel to help with cornering.
It is not linked to the steering system, just the position of the wheel up and down with respect to the chassis. Multi link rear suspension.