PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Acting The Goat

carfanatic
15-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Can anyone help me with any info on the following. Yesterday I noticed my speedo was flying up and down the rand while I was doing 20-30. Today it has stopped flying and in fact stopped working all together. All I did before that was I filled her up at the garage and drove home. Oddly enough the interior clock is acting odd too. I think they are in cahoots. Colin

Erni902
15-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Evening Colin, the clocks are renowned for playing silly buggers so this is probably separate. The only advice I can offer for the speedo is hat maybe the needle is sticking against the dials. There are 2 bits of double sided tape on either side the speedo and rev counter needles. If this has lost its stick the dials maybe popping up and catching the needle. When mine went tits it was because i changed the dials and pushed the needles on too far doh!!!

As for the clock do a search there are plenty of threads about repairing it

Nick Mann
15-02-2015, 11:30 PM
What Rikki said about the clock.

The speedo could well be a failing/failed converter. The bad news is that it will be an aftermarket addition, so finding and replacing might not be a quick easy job.

Erni902
16-02-2015, 09:26 PM
As Nick says above could be speedo converter related. I bought a new one from SVA PARTS (http://www.svaspeedos.co.uk/product_info.html) The model number of the one you want for a VR-4 is E0021 cost is about £35 delivered IIRC.

carfanatic
16-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys for your help. I'll get one of those thingy ma bobs ordered and stick it somewhere . Colin.

carfanatic
16-02-2015, 11:23 PM
just bought one. Tyvm. C

Erni902
16-02-2015, 11:51 PM
No dramas mate, any questions on fitting etc just give me a shout. Fairly easy though and it comes with fitting instructions. Plus if you have one already then it should be a straight forward swap. Let us know how you get on

carfanatic
17-02-2015, 09:45 PM
HaHa, straight forward, I've heard that one before. lmao you don't know me. I'm sure I'll be in touch. Cheers.

carfanatic
21-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Hi Erni902 & Nick Mann. The 4 wires attached to a little plastic bit have arrived. No instructions though. Where does it go? once i locate it i guess it's fairly easy to swop. C

Erni902
21-02-2015, 01:32 PM
carfanatic

Hi mate it goes behind the dash clocks.

2 screws toward the upper part of the shroud which then just clips off once you have removed the plug from the back of the dimmer switch on the right hand side.

Then you have four gold screws, one in each corner of the clocks.

Pull the clocks out and the converter should be behind there somewhere, hopefully with the same coloured wires as your new one.

PM me your number and I will nip out and send some pics over.

Erni902
21-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Just realised I think there is somewhere else it could also be but cant remember where. The majority of them are behind the clocks though. If you do a search on here there should be a thread that tells you where the other place is. But try behind the clocks first as this is the usual place.

Nick Mann
22-02-2015, 05:15 PM
The other place is near the speedo sensor on the gearbox. That is where I have mine. If you convert behind the dash then you don't change the speed that the ECU sees. This has pros and cons, but the deciding factor for me was that the ecu seeing mph means that my speed limiter is now set for 180mph, not 180kph.

The wires will be 12V, Ground, KPH signal in and MPH signal out. On mine the 12V and ground are red and black. Then yellow is the KPH in and grey is the MPH out. Near the gearbox the speedo sensor has three wires, 12V, ground and signal. So at the gearbox you can piggyback the 12V and ground and then split the signal cable to wire it through the converter.

Wherever you put it, you will obviously need to find the old one and remove it!

carfanatic
23-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Guys. this is my summation of the info.
If it's behind the clocks it needs removing. The new one then needs fitting onto the g/box. If it's on the G/box already I just need to get it replaced. easy peasy lemon squeazy. I don't do anything under the car due to my glass back so I'll have to get that one sorted.
Thank you both for all your help thus far, no doubt I'll be in touch. Col.