PDA

View Full Version : Knock sensor plug

Colin Wiltshire
20-02-2015, 08:11 PM
From what I have found, the knock sensor plug is 1 of 2 near the throttle body. Only I can't find out which, and not knowing what the other 1 is, I don't want to take a chance just incase it messes something up.

I assume I have the correct set of plugs, 1 is black, the other is grey. Both have 2 wires.

adaxo
20-02-2015, 09:17 PM
this may help, seems like is right one

Nick Mann
20-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Yep, if you can follow the cables, one of them goes under the plenum and down towards the middle of the vee. It's that one. I can check over the weekend if you still can't tell.

Colin Wiltshire
20-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Ok, according to that pic, same on camskill, the camskill pic has it highlighted (£119 for a new one/JawDroppi) pt number 14924. Looks to be on the other side of the engine?

Nick Mann
20-02-2015, 11:56 PM
The knock sensor is definitely at the top of the vee, in the middle of the engine, mounted to the block under the inlet manifold, connected at one of the plugs by the throttle body.

Colin Wiltshire
21-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Well, after having a look today and from what I could see/make out. I think it was the grey plug.
Both plug wires went under the plenum, but the wires from the black plug joined up with a loom the went to the other side, they grey plug went into a plastic cover for the wire and went down, then I couldn't see where it went after that. Car started afterwards, so we'll see what happens tomorrow when it's driven.

Nick Mann
22-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Yes, that sounds right Colin. You won't see the CEL with knock now - I did that as a check last year. Also, you do know that the sensor is the one that came with the engine? It is not the one that was on your previous engine.

Colin Wiltshire
22-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Yes Nick I remember. The CEL light did come on and stayed on, but I think that was just the ecu saying theres a fault. Funny though as it didn't come on until 2.5k.

The annoying thing is the symptoms where still there, I can only describe it as running out of fuel, but just about keeps running on the fumes. Apart from not having black smoke coming out of the exhaust, it's was almost like when I popped off a boost hose on track when I had the Legnum. And it's still intermittent

Ben did say he had the det cans on it, even though he saw very high counts of knock, he heard nothing on the cans. Could be electrical interference. but doesn't think it's real Knock.

Nick Mann
22-02-2015, 09:05 PM
No, I don't think it is real knock either. It would be nice to solve the problem though!

Colin Wiltshire
23-02-2015, 06:07 PM
It would be nice to solve the problem though!

Your telling me, I've had problems with this car from the moment I bought it.