PDA

View Full Version : clutch slipping after only a few years??

billybobboot
21-02-2015, 04:33 PM
My legnum has just started to slip the clutch from no slip to put your foot down in any gear at .4 bar boost and slips even worse with boost controler turned on.
Its got a evo fly and exedy evo stage 1 clutch. Its always been a bit juddery but you can really feel some vibration from the clutch peddle now no noise from bearing just judder and the bite is right at the top.
Always has slipped in reverse.
But its just one day decided to start slipping and thats it.
No oil or anything inside the housing as took cover off all clean.
Was done in 2011-2012 think it was may have been 2010 but sure was 11. Should it last longer? Not so hot on how long they last in these but other cars ive done far higher millage and longer.
Millage wise its prob close to 20k if that old owner did 6 k a year and ive done 4 so far 2k was a holiday of long drives.

billybobboot
21-02-2015, 04:36 PM
For got to add other cars were 300 bhp mr2 turbo rev4 with stock fly but exedy stage 1 and rx7 with light weight fly stage 1

TAR
21-02-2015, 08:44 PM
that mileage seems very low unless the clutch wasn't bedded in properly and is badly glazed.

It may be worth checking that you have the full amount of travel from the slave cylinder as the clutch may need bleeding?

If its definitely knackered put your name on the list here http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?73248-Eurospec-Competition-Clutch-Group-Buy&highlight=competition+clutch so we can arrange a discount on replacement clutches.

:happy:

Subaru ETA
21-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Could have an oil leak which has contaminated the clutch?

billybobboot
21-02-2015, 09:19 PM
No oil leaks only one i had was from the oil filter relocation kit for the greddy oil cooler.
Yer did wonder about the bedding in as its always smelt on reverce.
The slave is another point as but it pushes firm all the way down but if you pull on the clutch arm it does move back towards the slave a little. But has a aftermarket internal on the slave with modified spring so just wondered if the spring was too strong and holding the clutch down a little.
If it has gone looking at getting
Light weight flywheel evo 8 from demon tweeks with exedy stage 2 3 puk clutch. And giving to work to do as ive done it once and for 140 lab its not really worth my time to do it after work.
Ill have a play tomorrow.

CANDEE
22-02-2015, 08:21 AM
By oil leak David means the main seal leaking and it getting to the clutch..

Subaru ETA
22-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Yea, rear main or gearbox input shaft seal leaking

billybobboot
22-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Oh see shouldnt be the main was changed at the same time as clutch and the box was rebuilt about a year after so box is only 1-2 years sence build if its leaking ill be very anoyed.

billybobboot
22-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Im going to go to work today and going to check the slave and spring see if its the spring holding the cluch a little. If not might see if i can undo the cluch plate bolts and see in as i know you can get them on and off without the box off as this is how i took the box off when clutch got changed and see if its just a case of the flywheel is burnt or something well see.

Davezj
22-02-2015, 11:34 AM
you said earlier that the clutch has always slipped in reverse, this is not right all. so it sounds like the clutch system has been failing for a long time and probably becauase you have not had this sorted out, you may have trashed the clutch slowly and steadily of the last 2 years.
A clutch should never slip in reverse.

billybobboot
22-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Woulnt slip like it is now but but has always smelt like clutch slip its always gripped but just smelt of clutch so has had clutch slip. Its ok on short reverce e.g. off the drive but if you had to go up a sloped drive would smell.
Ive know the car sence was in country i cant vouch for gareth but i drive fairly hard but dont do things like launching or dip clutch while driving.
Why i came on here to see if anyone elts has had probs as from how it was for it to just decide to start to slip somethings not right. Car dosnt get used for short runs, always only longer drives.
Like said its been fine till the other day went out and thought it slipped once but it was semi cold so thought was a bit of ice. Next time i drove it was 4 days later all warmed up then driven as normal was ok then got to a 60 out of town and revs went up by 500rpm like huntung (slipped) then gripped and was ok it grips but for the first 500 rpm in say 3rd when you put foot down slips then grips and is ok.

billybobboot
22-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Only owned car for 6 months and i know last owner when i was in car he didnt abuse it. But at same time its a 300bhp+ car its there to be enjoyed. If it has to be replaced thats ok im just thinking of ideas it could be before i spend 500-1000 on a clutch as looking at evo clutch and fly or going for a full 1000 exedy fly and clutch kit.

Davezj
22-02-2015, 12:55 PM
The extra info is great as it allows people to know what you know, other wise we are just guessing.
now i am not that familiar with the manual gearbox, although i have done a clutch swap twice, on different cars which all went well.

but in my book clutch slip is clutch slip the longer you leave it the worse it will get no matter what the cause is. if you continue to drive it the more likely you are to burn the fly wheel as well as trash the clutch friction disc and the clutch plate.
so you need to diagnose the issue and get it sorted soon as possible. if it is not the actual clutch at fault and it is a clutch mater or slave cylinder issue you might be able to save the clutch if you get the hydraulic system sorted.
good luck, there are lots of people on here with lots of manual clutch experience and it is the best place to find the answer.

billybobboot
22-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Yer from what i know on this car.
The flywheel was an evo but second hand
Exedy stage 1 clutch kit.
Im going to work in an hour. So going to rebuild the slave and take the spare spring and cut it down a little to reduce the spring strength as i know i can pull the arm back a little. Not sure if this is the prob.
My main thought is the flywheel even though i sanded it to give a rough clean face its ov not as good as a new or good but skimmed fly.
Ill post my findings.
If not bye bye clutch and hello box out. Hope is slave as dont fancy another 7 hours on my own car.

Nick Mann
22-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Even in reverse, the engine is spinning the same way, so the clutch still works exactly the same. I'm not sure why reverse would be worse unless you are slipping the clutch for longer when you reverse?

It sounds to me like the friction surfaces are worn. Not what you want to hear, and maybe I am wrong, but I'd guess it is a clutch change job.

billybobboot
22-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Yep clutch plate fibres have given up its started to shred it for some reason took the bung out and the bung was covered in clutch dust so was inside of box could just see the odd fibre so looks like its a bad clutch plate. As said i know the flywheel was a second hand one so maybe wasnt the best and has glazed over? Dont know till shes out on the floor. So going for new fly and clutch now just got to decide if i get a slightly cheaper clutch and fly and get someone elts to fit or fit myself and get a exedy hyper clutch kit? Dont really want to do it as 1 not got time and 2 i know it can be a pain.