PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint recall?

cwgt93
26-02-2015, 11:50 PM
I understand that there was a recall carried out at some point for Galant's regarding a ball joint. Resulting from a recent service my car was found to have the offside front bottom ball joint to have excessive play. I asked my local Mitsubishi dealership and they said there was no outstanding recalls. I asked them to double check and they said to ring the manufacturer directly for more info. This makes me think there is something in this. Has anyone had any experience's or helpful information on this? Cheers!

Nick Mann
26-02-2015, 11:57 PM
If your car is UK from new then the dealerships can tell you if all the recalls have been done. If the car is an import then you should check with Mitsubishi headquarters and it will take a couple of weeks to check with Japan. There is a thread about it somewhere, try searching for "recall status" or something similar.

Confused
27-02-2015, 09:54 AM
I checked my recall status by completing the following form: http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/enquiries/recall.aspx

I actually had a response back on the same day, within a few hours!

mitsiboyblue
27-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Hi there yes there was recalls on all UK galants and then later the vr4's
I'm a Mitsubishi Master Technician working for myself now and we did hundreds of them over the years.
If it has already been through the warranty process with mitsubishi the Dealership will not see any outstanding recalls as that particular recall is closed on their system. So yes you can e-mail mitsubishi headquarters with reg number and chassis No. So they can confirm this.
The fault was identified to be water ingress caused by the steel base plate fitted in prodution of the joint where the cast of the joint met the steel plate.
production fix after joint replacement was to paint the bottom of the new joint with a special rubber coating. This was the fix.
I would suggest that if you have no luck the Mitsubishi replacing them again is to buy them and carry out the water proofing as discribed. You shouldn't have any more problems after that.
Dave

Louis
27-02-2015, 01:35 PM
check your recall status as above.
It is likely that the recall has been done, and the lower arm may have been replaced a few times since then.