PDA

View Full Version : BOV types

Jnic0
05-03-2015, 06:40 AM
Hey guys I have tried googling it, but I can't find out the difference between a standard, sequential or super-sequential BOV. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Nick Mann
05-03-2015, 07:35 AM
I don't know the whole answer but the HKS SSQV has a two stage actuator. A small change in pressure only activates the first stage and a large change activates the first and second stage.

billybobboot
05-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Standard is just that a boring will blow off loosing all boost and making big wosh noises even at .1 bar. And is open all the time at vacume e.g. off throttle (bad for cars with afms as it can alow air in threw it and cause running probs. The best example of these a baily bovs (cheap and cheerful but rubbish)
sequential is still sim to standard but you can adjust it to control al what pressure it blows off it will at low boost but you can set them to be almost closed at low boost and activated at high. These have changable springs in as well as adjustment they also only activate on first vacume then shut usable on afm cars. Blitz is best example these are expencive but types but well worth the money. You can set these using the springs and set up to limit boost from over boosting as the spring will only hold back so much pressure but you get blow off all the time.
Ssqv is very sim to above but its non ajustable it will activate all the time but limits the output of air at low boost and lets it all go at high. Hks is the best of this they give a sort of squeek at low boost and a woshy squeek at high. Again good for money but non ajustable.
Your best set up you can do is put bov as near to the throttle body as pos and a boost limit valve as near the turbos as pos.
Reasons
The air flows from turbo to tb like a 1 way road with the bov near the tb all the air getting out keeps moving in the same way and it does actualy make a big diffrence to throttle responce. If the bov is nearer the turbo all the air after the bov has to stop and come backwards then you excelarate and it all has to go the other way.
You put a boost limit near turbos as as air pressure gets too high it lets some air out but not all keeping boost at say 1 bar as it opens and shuts the pressure is kept the same threw all the system but if drops a bit to low its close to where the pressure is made and builds back up quicker. You dont need a boost limit valve but it its a sort of mechanical fuel cut system good if you have not stock fuel cut + its not as violent as fuel cut.

Jnic0
06-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Hey thanks so much for that. Some really good info and detail! :) :)