PDA

View Full Version : Full ATF Flush, Fluid and Filter Change

Erni902
07-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Hey guys just read Kierans guide to carrying out a flush and change of the ATF fluid. From reading through it seems quite involved and I don't quite like the idea of doing something wrong and the gearbox dries out and goes tits up.

The question is for anyone who has done this themselves, is it really that bad a job to do or is it simpler in practice?

Also if I was to take it to Mitsy to carry out the change how would I be able to tell they have done the change correctly and not just drained the sump and refilled?

Also now Amsoil has cut its overseas ties what are the best ATF filters to go with? I will be using Millers fluid but will just a generic filter suffice?

Nick Mann
07-03-2015, 08:26 PM
A blueprint filter should be fine. I understand that it needs to be an ATF filter, not an engine oil filter.

The procedure is not so bad, Kieran was a stickler for making sure people didn't misunderstand his instructions. Often the most awkward bit is releasing a hose to allow the fluid to be flushed. If you are around my neck of the woods over a weekend then give me a shout and I'll happily look over your shoulder and help if required. It's a procedure I have done many many times now!

Erni902
07-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Cheers Nick, yeah I had noticed that in a few of Kierans threads, which is fair enough because no one wants to be held responsible for damage to someone elses car due to their instructions.

I figured youd probably done '1 or 2' changes before lol. That would be great mate if your happy to do that. Got a busy month this month with only this weekend free to sort stuff out. Not in a major rush to be done as the fluid does still have some nice colour to it (noticed when changing the radiator today) but its not been done since Ive had it (the silver one) so its about time really. Once Ive got a suitable ATF filter and another 5l of fluid I will let you know what weekends I will be around and hopefully we can arrange something.

Top bloke Nick :2thumbsup

Nick Mann
07-03-2015, 11:02 PM
No probs. I'm potentially in Houghton Regis in three weeks time too, if you are in Dunstable. I'm supposed to be visiting family, but I reckon an hour or two away would be okay!

Erni902
08-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Aha well I may be around that area then. If Ive got everything ready Ill give you a shout, many thanks