PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Size

dazjb
26-03-2015, 09:57 PM
What size aftermarket intercoolers are you guys running with good results? I'm needing to install a FMIC for my FTO VR4 conversion but not sure what size to go for :thinking:. At the moment I do have a core size 550 x 225 x 64mm bar & plate FMIC but not sure if this would be too small. I could fit in a 600 x 300 x 75mm if needed but this would block more flow to the radiator + i'm not sure if it would give me significant gains over the smaller size. I hope to have a mininum of 300bhp once I have everything up and running so need to size the intercooler for this figure.

Any opinions appreciated

Cheers

Davezj
26-03-2015, 11:58 PM
a lot of people including me are using 600x300x75 intercooler but fitting can be a lottle tight but it will fit on the VR4, not sure about the FTO, though.
a slightly smaller intercooler will not make much difference if it saves a lot of cutting and welding to the intercooler to fit.

dazjb
27-03-2015, 02:56 PM
I can comfortably fit in a 600x300x75 intercooler .. it would nearly all be exposed to air as well. Read things about people saying a bigger intercooler causes lag and pressure drop so it was putting me off going larger. I was also concerned about blocking even more flow to the radiator.

Davezj
27-03-2015, 05:18 PM
to be honest probably about half the intercooler/radiator is blocked be body work, bumper. grill, etc.

this is why i have fitted 2 fans on the back of the intercooler to draw the air through much more efficiently, the rad fans only have to do the job they originally were doing, drawing the air through the rad and air con condenssor rad.
you may wan't to think about the power steering cooler, this might need replacing as well, but it depends how you mount the intercooler.