PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather problem

I-S
24-02-2005, 09:40 AM
I've had this happen before once in cold weather, but thought it might have been isolated. However, with the snow and cold now, it's happened again.

The problem is that the car unlocks itself. It disables the alarm and everything, just as if it was unlocked with the remote. I don't know if the indicators flash because I've not seen it happen (I've just come to find it unlocked), but if so then it's advertising itself as being unlocked.

Anyone else had this?

Nick VR4
24-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Might be coincidental but depending on what remote alarm system you have if you just touch the remote button to unlock accidentally in the house it will unlock and that can be quite a distance away from the car

Mate of mine had a Ford Mondeo and could unlock his car from around 50 yards away
Might be worth trying just to make sure its not you doing it in doors when you grab your keys

I-S
24-02-2005, 10:53 AM
It co-incides too neatly with very cold weather. One time I put some stuff in the car after having found it open, locked it as I went to get some more stuff, and it was open again when I came back. Could it be a "feature" so that the locks don't freeze shut?

Nick VR4
24-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Thats very odd and not a good thing for obvious reasons

Have you tried using the key instead of remote to see if that keeps it locked ?
I know the alarm etc wont work but at least the doors aren't open

Roadrunner
24-02-2005, 11:37 AM
You don't have a neighbour that could have the same alarm system, do you? I know there are supposed to be millions of combinations for the alarm system, but I ask only because I noted last year, when I used my remote to unlock my car in an airport car park, it activated the system on a car parked nearby. I thought it might have been co-incidental, but pressed the button a few times and could lock and unlock both my car and the other one. Cobra alarm.

I-S
24-02-2005, 11:40 AM
It's happened both sides of moving house though. I would be surprised, because the other cars on my road are little fords and vauxhalls mainly, which use different alarm systems.

I'll keep an eye on it.

The Vee
25-02-2005, 08:29 AM
It's happened both sides of moving house though. I would be surprised, because the other cars on my road are little fords and vauxhalls mainly, which use different alarm systems.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Can be caused by wires starting to chaf on door where they go through aperture from door pillar. Can be hidden by rubber ducting.

on a different note, Why was the house moving?! :rolleyes4 :embarasse :oops:

ok I'll get me coat

VR4Dave
25-02-2005, 09:40 AM
I have noticed on mine that if I unlock the car with the remote and then open the boot with the key, while the boot is open after a minute or so the car locks itself. Could be an arse if you put your keys down in the boot.
Does this happen on all VR4's or just mine?

v8killa
25-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I was telling my mechanic how mine locks itself at random - he told me most mitsis with central lock have that problem in extreme weather (mine locks when its really hot)

Big Ian
25-02-2005, 02:40 PM
has your car still got the factory cobra item?

I-S
25-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes.

Jimbo
25-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I know this won't help much, but I thought I'd show some solidarity......

I used to own a 99 reg V6-24 and there were at least a dozen times that I'd go to the car in the morning and it would be unlocked. It always seemed odd, and far more than just coincidence or that I'd forgotten to lock it. Never once happened away from home, only on my drive and only overnight.

To be honest I'd just convinced myself that I'd managed to knock the fob inside of the house, or like Brian says, that somebody near me had a similar frequency fob, but the chances had to be slim on both.

Polabear
28-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Just as an addition to this and a little thread hijack, sometimes when I lock mine I will come back to find or next morning one or other of my rear windows open about two inches, and mine is a Toad alarm..... any thoughts...? :thinking:

Wodjno
02-03-2005, 12:20 PM
I have noticed on mine that if I unlock the car with the remote and then open the boot with the key, while the boot is open after a minute or so the car locks itself. Could be an arse if you put your keys down in the boot.
Does this happen on all VR4's or just mine?

As far as i know it's a pre-requisite for a cat1 and maybe a cat2 alarm to have the self lock function.. It's for insurance purposes ..For the main reason that if you walkaway from your car without locking it , it will automatically lock .. thus keeping your insurance company happy .. If you unlock your car with remote but do not open and shut any doors , the car will stay unlocked .. If u unlock the car with the remote then subsequently open a door and leave it open it will not lock automatically, but if u then close the doors it will automatically lock the car after approx 1 min .. (keys in the car or not) .. If you are doin stuff on your car or maybe cleaning it,either have your keys in the ignition with ignition on as it will not auto lock .. or make sure u keep ya keys in ya pocket .. When ever you unlock the car if u don't start the car within 10 to 20 secs it will automatically immobise itself.. Also on most Cat1 and "alrms you will have what they call a "valet" mode .which is used for the purpose of when you are cleaning the car so as not to accidently lock ya keys in the car .. (instruction bookl;et should be good for this 1 .. )

I have also tested the distance that i can arm and disarm my car alarm, with a new battery it was in excess of 100yds .. so be careful :rolleyes4
RE .. Cars self unlocking .. I have come to the conclusion that this is due to accidental pushing of the remote buttons . it has happened to me many times but usually when i have just left my keys kicking around so any of the family could have accidently disarmed the car .. i now keep them up out the way in a specific place and have not had the problem since ..

mpau009
24-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi, i'm not sure if this will help, but when i was mucking around with my stereo, i blew a few fuses, one of which operates the central locking, i couln't figure it out, cause it only seemed to unlock randomly - this was because the fuse was broken, but still touching, but a bump (or maybe the weather) meant it disconnected. could be worth a look.

Also most modern alarms feature a tumbling code for the reasons already mentioned, so theives can't record the code for future use.