PDA

View Full Version : Downpipe Torque Settings

Erni902
05-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi guys have done a search but cant find the recommended Torque settings for the Downpipes.

If anyone knows it would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows how to get the nuts to loosen off the rear one as they are not budging at all. Left them to soak in WD40 for a bit to see if that makes any difference. The front 2 loosened with no dramas.

TIA

adaxo
05-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Use blow torch to heat them and they should give up, it usually works for me.

Erni902
05-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Use blow torch to heat them and they should give up, it usually works for me.

Unfortunately dont have one laying around. May have to tighten the fronts back up and go out for a spirited drive (need fuel anyway) to try get some heat through.

Should you try and remove whilst still hot of wait until they cool to aid in the breaking of the corrosion?

adaxo
05-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Yes that's good way to heat it but still simple blow torch save my ass many times especially on exhaust job or suspension nuts.

BTW manual for uk v6 said is 49Nm of torque required, put some copper grease on nuts so future removal will be a doodle.

Erni902
05-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Ill give it another go but probably head out and get some heat in it. If only it wasnt Easter Sunday I could find somewhere to grab a blowtorch. Although seen as its drenched in wd40 its probably best I dont have one haha.

Cheers for the info Adam got the copper grease at the ready I always use it when replacing nuts etc that are prone to getting wet/corroded etc :)

Erni902
05-04-2015, 02:02 PM
I think I may have to admit defeat :(

Its such an easy job but if the buggers wont budge then theres not much else I can do. It kills me to have to pay someone else to fit the new downpipes as its only 6 blooming bolts!!

On the bright side my mates garage in Hereford only charge £32/hr labour.

giblet
05-04-2015, 03:53 PM
I used a local garage to take my old downpipe off and fit the uprated one last year. The monkey managed to trash the bolts and threads. Had to source new elbows which are being fitted by Adam.

adaxo
05-04-2015, 04:16 PM
And believe me, removing turbo elbows is not what I consider as nice and easy job, just a word of caution that make sure they take this job with right tools patience and a bit of heat, not knackered socked and scaffolding pole to undo this fairly fragile nuts.

Erni902
05-04-2015, 05:41 PM
giblet adaxo

Cheers guys, thats why I just stopped where I was and didnt carry on any further. The guys down the road are pretty good and they never rush jobs, they always have my car for at least the whole day and know they can take as much time as they want with it. That being said they never take the piss. I shall warn the main guy when I drop it off that they are dodgy and see what happens.

wintertidenz
05-04-2015, 08:20 PM
If you have a good impact gun and new six-point socket you should find they come off quickly.

Erni902
05-04-2015, 08:58 PM
If you have a good impact gun and new six-point socket you should find they come off quickly.

May have to invest in one Daniel

TAR
05-04-2015, 09:36 PM
trouble with using an impact gun, is that one of the rear nuts is impossible to get at without an extension bar. An extension bar will reduce the effective torque of the impact wrench.

I had to soak the rear nuts in WD40 for a good couple of hours (regular re-application) before they would let go. I did end up using an impact driver to get them off.

Hope you get it sorted.

:happy:

Erni902
05-04-2015, 09:47 PM
trouble with using an impact gun, is that one of the rear nuts is impossible to get at without an extension bar. An extension bar will reduce the effective torque of the impact wrench.

I had to soak the rear nuts in WD40 for a good couple of hours (regular re-application) before they would let go. I did end up using an impact driver to get them off.

Hope you get it sorted.

:happy:

Fair point regarding the impossible to get to one, that wouldnt quite work with an impact gun. I did the periodic and lengthy soaking in WD-40 but nothing budged :( Think ill leave it to a garage, that way if they break it its not my fault haha.

adaxo
05-04-2015, 10:02 PM
But, tightening up fassi1 pipes is not fun either, there are so big that there is not much/enough space for bolt and socked, just saying.

Erni902
05-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Another reason to pay someone else to do it Adam ;)

wintertidenz
06-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Never had problems with loss of torque on my gun with an extension - in saying that it's rated to over 500Nm of torque, and it zipped out flywheel bolts covered in red Locktite over 20 years ago with ease.

The rear ones are always a pain in the ass.