PDA

View Full Version : AYC questions

Jimbo40
20-04-2015, 09:47 PM
I have just bought myself a Legnum VR4, everything seems to be in good condition apart from the ayc. even after only a few days of owning the car I can feel the advantages. But I find that once everything has warmed up. IE when I go from junction 10 to 12 of the M1, the long curve off ramp makes it give out quite a loud grinding/creaking noise. I did find that it kind of went away as I pushed it round the bend harder (which went against every bit of my mechanical sympathy).

It also sounds like the inside tyre is squealing but this may just be that they are fairly old. Could it just be that I just need to change the ayc fluid, which the previous owner assured me he did.

I am a bit concerned that this is going to be causing long term damage.

Any Help/ideas is appreciated

Cheers
James

Nick Mann
20-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Almost certainly the ayc clutch pack fluid needs changing. There are three areas of fluid in the rear diff and the clutch pack is just one. So maybe some stuff was changed?

Jimbo40
20-04-2015, 10:46 PM
is that the reservoir in the boot, or do I need to get under the car.

Correct me if im wrong, but from what ive seen on here.

Gear Oil in the Diff

ATF in reservoir in boot

ATF in separate part of the diff ? for the clutch pack

im not going to get time to change it until at least this weekend, any way I can turn it off to save it for now

Nick Mann
21-04-2015, 06:47 AM
The reservoir in the boot is the hydraulic part. You need to change the third fluid you mentioned in your post.
I understand that you can pull the fuse in the engine bay fuse box to disable the ayc but I have never tried personally.

billybobboot
21-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Yes pulling the fuse in the engine bay does disable the system. I removed this while doing my rebuild. Its also a good way to find out if ayc is working find some were quiet with some hard bends leave it working drive it remove fuse drive it see if there is a diffrence. I dont notice it at slow speeds but a bit to quick for the bend with no ayc and you can feel the diffrence. Tyres can also come down to it.

Jimbo40
22-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I couldnt bring my self to spend loads of money on amsoil (which from looking around here appears to be loved by all), I didn't think it was worth the cost if im going to be changing it every 4500????? miles. So I have bought Triple QX ATF Plus, which on euro car parts website said was to mitsi sp-ii-iii, but this is not listed on the bottle, only things like dexron VI etc. Do we reckon it will be ok?

chris g
22-04-2015, 07:27 PM
No it is not worth having...

And AMSOIL is worth ALL it costs...

And you do not need to change it every 4500 mls...

Jimbo40
22-04-2015, 07:54 PM
No it is not worth having...

And AMSOIL is worth ALL it costs...

And you do not need to change it every 4500 mls...

I read some where about 4500 mile oil changes and was surprised that something other than engine oil needed doing aswell, I probably mis-read, how often does the ayc clutch pack fluid need doing then

billybobboot
22-04-2015, 09:16 PM
I use castrol edge on all oils including diff gear and atf.
Or i use amsoil.
If triple x was any good why would castrol valvoline or amsoil bother? Its the same with budget tyres if they were any good we would all be buying jinue or autogrip or nankang on every car!
Yes it will lubricate but its not had years and milions spent on the development.
Put the cheap stuff in and in 5k miles spell the oil then put high quality in and smell the oil after i know which most would then run.

Nick Mann
22-04-2015, 10:03 PM
The atf in the gearbox needs changing every 45000 miles according to mitsy, not every 4500.
If it isn't mitsy sp3 compatible then I would definitely not use it.

chris g
22-04-2015, 10:22 PM
AFAIK AMSOIL can be left for much longer mileage...

Search AMSOIL threads and info should be revealed...

Jimbo40
22-04-2015, 10:32 PM
The atf in the gearbox needs changing every 45000 miles according to mitsy, not every 4500.

Yeah i would trump for amsoil when i do the gearbox oil, i thought the change intervals were much more often with the ayc clutch pack and ayc fluid reservoir. Hence the thought i could use cheaper atf, also because i want to do it this weekend and would have to wait for amsoil to be delivered

billybobboot
23-04-2015, 12:07 AM

Depends if manual or auto.
Most gearbox oils except ayc are 45k same as engines are 10-12k its expencive but its worth changing more regularly as helps keep things clean and deposits down and keeps the oil at its best all the time.
But as said gearbox oil is a far higher temp oil than engine oil.

billybobboot
23-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Get castrol or valvoline oil can still get it at euros.
Hen you can do it this weekend and just get some amsoil for next time.

Nick Mann
23-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Sorry, I was tired last night and forgot we were talking about the rear diff.
Yes, the ayc fluid is a 4500 mile change according to mitsy. Just the ayc parts not the gear oil. I change mine less often than that, depending on how I am driving the car.

Jimbo40
24-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Right well I tried to get the fill nut off this afternoon, few trips to halfords etc, i cant get the nut to undo, its starting to round off a little bit, I have to wonder if its ever been taken off. Anyone got any suggestions,

Oh and it turns out that the ayc reservoir in the boot is leaking from somewhere, nice fresh atf covering the underside part of that car.

Nick Mann
24-04-2015, 10:30 PM
A 6 sided deep socket and a breaker bar. I once had one that I had to drop the diff slightly to get better purchase but it shouldn't come to that. I have removed dozens using the deep socket and breaker bar method.

Jimbo40
27-04-2015, 08:44 AM
After 2 afternoons of trying I didn't manage it. The nut started to round off so I called it off rather than make it worse. I don't think my exhaust piping is original. It seemed to be in the way. I did however undo the drain nut very slightly to see the condition of the fluid. Kind of a transparent maroon colour.
so for now I've taken the motor fuse out. And found out how well the system works. Ie having the back end step out coming off the m1. Slightly fun

Jimbo40
27-05-2015, 10:42 PM
A 6 sided deep socket and a breaker bar. I once had one that I had to drop the diff slightly to get better purchase but it shouldn't come to that. I have removed dozens using the deep socket and breaker bar method.

I Tried that the weekend just gone and it worked just fine. I have noticed the diff noise isn't actually gone, just a fair bit quieter. is this normal or should there be no noise when the ayc is active. I suppose it might not be helped by the leaky wang li I have on the back right. new pair of tyres is next job I think