PDA

View Full Version : ABS light

Colin Wiltshire
25-04-2015, 01:09 PM
A strange issue (1 of many I have) My ABS light comes on intermittently, but when it comes on it stays on til engine is turned off. It's not regular, but has happened more often recently. I'm not having the abs peddle vibration, suggesting it's not any of the abs rings.
It could be an air leak, but any thoughts on where that could be? I've had a quick look at the pipes coming off the throttle body plastic pipe (where the red tip pipe is, also I know it's not that pipe) following it across the engine into a cylinder of some sort and back out.

Nick Mann
26-04-2015, 01:01 AM
What is the fault code?

Colin Wiltshire
21-05-2015, 08:04 PM
I actually managed to get the flashy dash working for me, turns out I was joining the wrong 2 pins. I now have ..../---/.../--/./--
Although I can't find how to translate into codes. I have 1 for ayc and engine management light as well.

Nick Mann
21-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Long flashes are tens and shorts are units. I'm guessing that you have 21, 24 and 33. Go to the codes thread to decipher.

Colin Wiltshire
22-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks Nick, so going on that I have on ABS 34,23,21 AYC 33,41,61,81 Engine light 11,12,13,24,35
Time to look them up

Think some of these are old codes, so I'll disconnect the batt tomorrow, see what comes up after.

Nick Mann
22-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Colin, the tens are the first part of the number. I think you have counted the units first and then the tens which gives you units and tens from different numbers.

Colin Wiltshire
22-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Right ok. do I ignore the units that flashed before the tens started?

Nick Mann
24-05-2015, 12:01 AM
If the first thing you see is short flashes then ignore them yes.

Colin Wiltshire
26-05-2015, 05:23 PM
It is so much easier to count the flashing lights when you know what your counting.
Engine light 12,13,25 airflow sensor (maf?) inlet temp sensor, atmospheric pressure sensor.
ABS 21,24,33 wheel speed sensor (fr), wheel speed sensor (rl) stoplamp switch ( I know this is faulty, changing soon)
AYC 33,41,81 Steering sensor, tps system, (if the throttle position sensor is playing up, why is it not in the engine light section) elec pump relay

The wheel speed sensors, I guess are the abs rings?
Is the inlet temp sensor part of the maf?
Atmospheric pressure sensor, Is that the standard boost selonoid? that the perrin ebcs pro I have is to replace?

Confused
26-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Airflow sensor, inlet temp sensor and atmospheric pressure sensor are all part of the MAF - so either your MAF is buggered, or the connector is! (Or, maybe, the 5v sensor feed to the MAF is damaged, hence causing all 3 to show issues)

The wheel speed sensors could be the ABS rings, or the sensors themselves. Check the rings carefully for any splits, this is probably the most likely. I had an ABS fault which was a rear ring, but it didn't pulse the pedal.

AYC also uses the ABS sensors, amongst the other things.

Colin Wiltshire
26-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Airflow sensor, inlet temp sensor and atmospheric pressure sensor are all part of the MAF - so either your MAF is buggered, or the connector is! (Or, maybe, the 5v sensor feed to the MAF is damaged, hence causing all 3 to show issues)

The wheel speed sensors could be the ABS rings, or the sensors themselves. Check the rings carefully for any splits, this is probably the most likely. I had an ABS fault which was a rear ring, but it didn't pulse the pedal.

AYC also uses the ABS sensors, amongst the other things.

Great, thanks for the info. Tim is letting me borrow his spare maf, so we will see what happens there when it's swapped.
My abs light only comes on occasionally, but without the peddle vibration, like yours.
I can't say I've noticed the rings before, are they easy to spot after taking the wheels off?

Confused
26-05-2015, 07:56 PM
You don't even need to take the wheels off - the rings are on the back of the hubs, on the end of the driveshaft. Take a good look at them, whilst slowly rotating the wheel (so it's easier to do with the wheels on!), checking for any cracks. The slightest difference in spacing between the bumps and dips can cause an issue.

The rings themselves are only about £12 each, and about half an hour per wheel to fit.