PDA

View Full Version : Rust on rear arches?

cwgt93
08-05-2015, 02:44 PM
So I've noticed rust on my rear arches has started to come through and also on the bottom of one of the passenger doors. I've been quoted £500 to sort this which I have no qualms with paying as I intend to keep the old girl for life. My question is does rear arch rust indicate bigger underlying problem? Before I go ahead and get this sorted only to find out it's actually worse than first thought. Does anyone have any experiences? Thanks.

Atik
08-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Rust depends on the car. The rear arch I believe is double skinned and water gets trapped there causing the rust. If you plan on keeping the car long term, I'd get a detailed look at it all, including the suspension turrets and wheel arch areas. They are also prone to rust on these cars. Once you get an idea how bad/good it is, its worth doing all in one go.

My current car has some rust on the rear arch and under the wing mirrors. I'm planning on tackling it myself over the summer with a view to keeping the car until it dies.

peter thomson
08-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Rear valence can suffer badly as well . Closing panel on the end of the sills is also a good place to check.