PDA

View Full Version : ignition cut under acceleration, but only when steering!

cbcen
09-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Here's a confusing one, my s plate vr4 has an issue when accelerating hard with anything more than a small amount of steering applied.

It feels like the brakes are being slammed on and off and the car rocks as a result, when I'm driving the car normally it's fine and the problem only ever occurs when steering past 10/2 o'clock, in a straight line is ok.

The car recently had a 60k service and nothing was picked up that could be the cause, any ideas?

Chris

Nick Mann
09-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Does your car have tcl and asc?

cbcen
09-05-2015, 11:56 PM
No it's a type v manual without any drivetrain extras

SEAN-NZ
10-05-2015, 10:44 AM
ABS issue? Any lights dash lights coming on? Can easily check the codes, if you do a search you'll find how to do it, and the list of codes

Davezj
10-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Could it be possible that you are hitting fuel cut and the steering thing is just a red herring.

Just a thought.

Nick Mann
10-05-2015, 09:55 PM
An evoscan log might help too.

cbcen
11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I've checked the dash lights and have got a wheel speed sensor ABS code coming up, I will pull the main abs fuse and see if there is any difference however faulty or not can the abs pump apply pressure to the brakes when I'm not on the pedal?

I don't think it's fuel cut, have only ever experienced this when I had a boost spike, in a straight line the car accelerates fine on full throttle.

Chris

Subaru ETA
11-05-2015, 06:52 PM
How much fuel is in the car when it does it?

Davezj
12-05-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't think it's fuel cut, have only ever experienced this when I had a boost spike, in a straight line the car accelerates fine on full throttle.

Chris

Fuel cut occurs when you get a boost spoke.
As long as the spike lasts the 1000ms time set in the stock rom. I think you have to be within the same 500 rpm rev range as well for the 1000ms time period.

swinks
13-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Are you sure it's a fuel cut?
From description it sounds like typical violent asc power cut. That occurs whilst abs sensors, g sensors and steering angle sensor can't agree together with engine power applied to wheels.
If you have already problems with abs sensor then sort this out first.

Davezj
13-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Are you sure it's a fuel cut?
From description it sounds like typical violent asc power cut. That occurs whilst abs sensors, g sensors and steering angle sensor can't agree together with engine power applied to wheels.
If you have already problems with abs sensor then sort this out first.

No I am not, I never said I was.
which why I am giving the option of what it could be. And what needs to happen for fuel cut to occur, I am no mind reader. It is up to the guy experiencing the issue to fix his own car with the knowledge he is given.

I hope he gets the answers he needs to make the correct diagnosis.

swinks
13-05-2015, 01:28 PM
I wasn't refering to you Dave but quoting cbcen. Sorry for not making it clear ;)

lancerevo3
13-05-2015, 09:18 PM
its the vac connection on the power steering pipe .happened to mine .i pulled the two rubber pipes and joined the ends together and the problem was gone.
drivers side the metal pipe runs under the engine mount ,connection is towards the front with two rubber hoses facing upwards

cbcen
18-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the advice guys been busy so not had a chance to inspect the car again yet. I will take a look at the vac hose on the power steering, what is the deal with this how does it cause the car to rock as it does, it feels like the brakes being slammed on and off? I'd best order an abs sensor to eliminate the known fault, Swinks is there a g sensor on the vr4 I did not know?
Dave firstly, I wish I had a door! it does feel like fuel cut but the way it cuts in and out is odd, also its definitely limited to only occurring whilst steering, although much more turn than I originally stated you need your arms crossed before it will happen.

cbcen
18-05-2015, 06:01 PM
How much fuel is in the car when it does it?

Just spotted this, there's another thought... I had not taken notice of the fuel level when it happens but definitely something else to consider. I never run it so low that the reserve light comes on but then again sometimes I still run it until its almost on the lowest mark. Food for thought.