PDA

View Full Version : Is this absurd?

I-S
26-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Bear with me here...

My gearbox has been having problems with jerkiness for some time, although it does seem to come and go. I have, however, noticed two things that seemed to have a significant effect upon it.

1) Front tyre pressure. For a while the gearbox was very indecisive, and the car seemed to lack some power. I found out that because I'd done the tyres on a very cold morning, they were too high in pressure (around 0.2 bar too high). Letting them down to the correct pressure, and the gearbox started to behave again.

2) Tracking and alignment. Getting this done has brought back the handling feel that was going missing, but does also seem to have resulted in smoother shifts, especially 1-2.

My question is am I just imagining things, having found a minor problem and solved it that others have gone as well? Or is it possible that because all these things are in the driveline, they are having an effect on the behaviour of the transmission?

And yes, I'm still going to do the fluid. I have 10 litres of beautifully bright red (unlike what's in the car) Amsoil here, just begging to go in the car...

mpau009
27-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Hi, iv just been reading your thread, and iv experienced similar, i had my box rebuilt this time last year so have been paranoid as hell about it, it seems that the levels of fluid make a big difference to the invecs, sometimes when its cold the shifts seem a bit harsh until it warms up and the fluid expands a bit, so make sure its right up all the time, as thats what led to the end of my first one...
Another thing they did when they rebuilt it was to fit a seperate oil cooler just for the transmission, in behind my radiator, which seems to have helped keep things nice and consistant.