PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

Trow
26-02-2005, 06:47 PM
o.k am going to ask a question and someone will probably point out the fact that there's already a HUGE thread dealing with it already but here goes anyway.......

Am thinking about upgrading my intercooler shortly, but don't know much more than the fact I want to ram more cold air into my turbos.... if the intercooler is upgraded will I have to remap the fuel management? could it go into melt down ? will it give me much extra power or is it worthless without going the whole hog?
what's the best one to go for, anyone got much experience with this?

Am also considering the Apexi AVC-R but don't know if I will be able to suss it all out!!!

(gone are the days when cars could be fixed with a pair of tights and a hammer) /help

Kenneth
26-02-2005, 09:34 PM
You should not need to re-map your fuel delivery for a bigger intercooler.

A good intercooler should make the intake system more efficient, reducing the amount of work the turbo has to do as well as decreasing intake charge temps

No, its not worthless... In fact I would say its definatly worth while. A better intercooler is laying the ground work to support bigger boost.

With an intercooler you are looking for a big core area and a low pressure drop across the intercooler. From what I have heard, bar and plate are the best air to air type intercoolers.

AVC-R? You should be able to sus it out... if not, come to ak and ill give you hand while we drink ourselves silly ;)

AllBeItMine
26-02-2005, 11:21 PM
when buying an intercooler. there are a few different types. there are the cheap ones which have crappy cut down truck cores inside them and there are the good ones that have a proper offset fin core.

when looking at coolers you need to work out how much room you have in the front of your car. one of the big issues for the vr4's is the height available.

because the mouth in the bumper is not very tall and because of the overhang of the front bar over the wheels, anything much more than 25cm tall is going to be a waste of time. My cooler is 30cm tall and it only *just* fits in, but if i were to do it again, i would go for a slightly wider cooler, to fill up the front bar and something slightly shorter so that i don't have to worry about scraping it on tricky driveways.

something around 700mmx270mm core with nice bottom feed intakes on the endtanks would be perfect. this will require a couple of mods to the bottom pipes to fit. a couple of reducers from 3inch to 2 1/4 inch. There is also *just* enough room in there for a 3inch thick cooler. but if you want less fitting hassles, go for a 2.5inch cooler instead.

Trow
27-02-2005, 07:46 AM
excellent!! cheers folks, that's givin me alot to go on.

I got an update today on my gearbox - in a word it's goosed :embarasse the mechanic is going to look for another box for me tommorow and fit it.. he says am looking at $1600 + for the box alone...

oh am getting the clutch done at the same time, he says mine was quite worn so should see a better performance when laying the power down

never mind

psbarham
27-02-2005, 02:41 PM
i just found this (http://www.sdsefi.com/techcooler.htm) and thought it might help you a little

Trow
27-02-2005, 04:40 PM
WOW, pretty neat, designing your own one, loads of info... Hmmm thinks I need to buy a tig welder...

ako
01-03-2005, 07:17 AM
$1600 for a gearbox??

Look on trademe, use your old bellhousing and throw on an evo 4 - 6 box. MUCH cheaper :D

AllBeItMine (Andy, your name still makes no sense to me) nailed it right on the head - just use as much space as you're given. Cold air = one happy engine and MORE POWER!! :evil2: