PDA

View Full Version : Legnum ressurection

PaddyB
24-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Hi All,

Looking for advice on getting my legnum going again - it's not moved (or cranked) since July 2013. It wasn't a planned mothballing, so it's been sat outside on it's tyres with 1/5 tank of petrol & oil that was about to get changed.

Phase I is to get the engine running: I've been researching online & there's loads of conflicting advice from "just turn the key", to prepriming the oil pump by hand, cranking it with no plugs in & everything in between. What's the accepted wisdom round these parts ?? My reckoning is to check the airbox for birds - hoses for splits - & go for it.

Cheers

Nick Mann
24-05-2015, 10:36 PM
I would hand crank it a couple of times personally, then starter crank it with the cam and crank sensors disconnected. Obviously after checking fluid levels etc.

PaddyB
25-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Cheers Nick - I'll let you know how I get on ...

PaddyB
25-05-2015, 05:19 PM
/megawoot/megawoot/megawoot/megawoot/megawoot/megawoot/megawoot

THankks Nick. I did as you suggested. Oil was on the bottom mark & gunked up to buggery. The stick took a bit of cleaning to get a good reading. Some coolant had evaporated as had pretty much all the petrol. Disconnected the crank & cam connectors.

Gave it about 5 revs by hand. Followed by I don't know how long on the starter motor until the oil light went off - I'm guessing 10-20secs but it felt like a lifetime.

Reconnected the sensors, a quick crank & vrooom :) I have never been so happy to hear those tappets. Quite a lot of steam from the exhaust at first (put my hand over it & it was wet) but that cleared up after a minute.

A couple of niggles: The throttle pedal did absolutely diddly until I manually manipulated the throttle body. The bonnet release catch in the cabin takes a serious amount of ooomph to open the bonnet. The environmental control thingy was dead until I punched it (very millennium falcon). Good stuff.

So.. next in the list is some good petrol, engine oil/coolant/brake fluid changes, some new tyres & maybe discs & then an MOT & tax.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for ??

Cheers again.

Nick Mann
25-05-2015, 10:45 PM
I think you have it all covered. fluids and rubbers are the items that need checking and you have already listed the important ones.
I hope it keeps doing what you want! (I did laugh out loud with the millennium falcon reference )

giblet
26-05-2015, 04:17 AM
Let me know if you manage to do the kessel run in 12 parsecs in your Legnum. That's always been the ultimate goal for my VR4 ;)

gazz
28-05-2015, 07:37 PM
My Legnum had been parked up for 4 and a half years, although I did start it once a month (possibly less as the years went by) Last summer I fired it up and drove it straight to the garage for an mot, only failed on a holed exhaust!

PaddyB
29-05-2015, 12:24 AM
That's good to know Gary - you've inspired me to book t in for an MOT (crappy discs an' all - they might polish up on the way to the test centre). Booked in for next Thurs - but I'm needing new tyres & want an alloy refurb too before I put new tyres on. My goal is to take it to the Wigan meet on the 7th but it might be a week too early.

gazz
29-05-2015, 12:29 AM
In fairness it only came off the road because of the miles I was doing, now I'm doing less miles it made sense to use it again. One thing I did do was to fit a set of ebc pads as they have an abrasive bed in layer on the faces, seemed to bring the discs up great.

Davezj
29-05-2015, 11:29 PM
That's good to know Gary - you've inspired me to book t in for an MOT (crappy discs an' all - they might polish up on the way to the test centre). Booked in for next Thurs - but I'm needing new tyres & want an alloy refurb too before I put new tyres on. My goal is to take it to the Wigan meet on the 7th but it might be a week too early.

Hi Paddy,
long time no speek.
glad to see you are back in the picture.
i have just swapped my engine, due to some vavle and piston punch up i don't think they get on. i will have to stip the old engine and find out how won. humm i think it could be the piston.
but that is just weekend fun and games.

i still have you hoody, yes the one you left round at my house about 4 years ago. vicky pulled it out of the cupboard the other day and washed it, because it had not been washed since last year. so if i make the 7th at the three sisters i will breing it along.

PaddyB
30-05-2015, 01:56 AM
Hi Paddy,
long time no speek.
glad to see you are back in the picture.
i have just swapped my engine, due to some vavle and piston punch up i don't think they get on. i will have to stip the old engine and find out how won. humm i think it could be the piston.
but that is just weekend fun and games.

i still have you hoody, yes the one you left round at my house about 4 years ago. vicky pulled it out of the cupboard the other day and washed it, because it had not been washed since last year. so if i make the 7th at the three sisters i will breing it along.

Hello Old Friend,

It has been too long. If I don't see you on the 7th we'll have to arrange a get together - my participation there looks challenging (but attainable). Sorry to hear about the engine - I've not been around for ages so I don't know the tale; one for around the campfire (or crispy creme).

Cheers for looking after the hoody, I'll keep it as slimspiration as I've put on about 25kgs since I was last round (oh there's a pun there somewhere).

Until next time.

Paddy

Davezj
30-05-2015, 10:35 AM
You and me both on the slender scale.

I have not made public my engine issues to the rest of the forum, I am going to stay a thread about it soon ish, and will revile all.
It is a bit embarrassing to be honest, but I will lay it all out for ridicule.

Erni902
30-05-2015, 11:05 AM
You and me both on the slender scale.

I have not made public my engine issues to the rest of the forum, I am going to stay a thread about it soon ish, and will revile all.
It is a bit embarrassing to be honest, but I will lay it all out for ridicule.

/popcorn

Cant be as embarrassing as replacing the red tipped hose with a silicon hose and wondering why I only have stock(ish) boost

swinks
30-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Cant be as embarrassing as replacing the red tipped hose with a silicon hose and wondering why I only have stock(ish) boost
7 psi was a wastegate pressure, not stock one :)
And result wasn't just only down to vacuum hose replacement. Engine (boost solenoid) should be fine with that, just some violent boost spike may happen, that's all. Your silicone hose was either cracked, holed or not seated properly, hence problems.

Sorry for off-topic Dave!