PDA

View Full Version : Would this work out ok?

cwgt93
27-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I've been offered a full leather interior, however there is a bit of wear. Do you think it would come up nice with a bit of elbow grease and polish? Or should I give it a miss? As I have no experience with leather. Thanks

Humpty's Revenge
27-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Do you think it would come up nice with a bit of elbow grease and polish?

No.

Or should I give it a miss? Thanks

Yes

cwgt93
27-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Ok thanks for your opinion. I was also looking at this one which looks better, but I think a bit pricey.

Atik
27-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Both sets looks to be from a UK spec car with the triple headrests and triple 3-point rear belts.
Good bonus as the JDM spec leathers only had two rear head rests and a middle lap belt.

I paid £350 or my black leathers which were in mint condition so I think £250 for the second set isnt too unreasonable.
Double check the electrics though as if they are electric, and if you have no power you wont be able to adjust them. A retrofit power supply will be required.

cwgt93
27-05-2015, 02:37 PM
I've been offered the first set for £100. Do you also think they are not to be considered as well?

Atik
27-05-2015, 03:25 PM
At £100 thats not too bad at all.
Personally I'd want to check them over in person and see how bad they are as its difficult to tell in person. Most of that could just be muck that is easily wiped away. The big issues are the faded/cracked or ripped areas which require re-upholstery.

All depend how fussy you are with your car. If you are OCD and like things clean and tidy maybe not, if you dont mind that then maybe yes.

cwgt93
27-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Yea I would ideally like to check them out but they are right at the top of Scotland unfortunately. I am quite ocd with my car. He said they are dirty but the wear on the drivers and passenger seat is the issue. I've been looking at YouTube at these leather restoration videos...not sure if it's perfect for me or a big farce!

Atik
27-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Leather restoration is tough.

I bought a set of black leather seats for my wifes MR2 a couple of years ago for £50. The bolsters on both seats were torn as were the driver base and the passenger back. I had the damaged parts reupholstered for £200. Thats ONLY the damaged sections so can be expensive to get repaired.

cwgt93
28-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Could anyone tell me how I can confirm whether I have the connections for electric seats? Thanks

cwgt93
28-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Leather restoration is tough.

I bought a set of black leather seats for my wifes MR2 a couple of years ago for £50. The bolsters on both seats were torn as were the driver base and the passenger back. I had the damaged parts reupholstered for £200. Thats ONLY the damaged sections so can be expensive to get repaired.

Could anyone tell me how I can confirm whether I have the connections for electric seats? Thanks

Atik
28-05-2015, 01:02 PM
If you have original electric seats they you have the connections. If you have manual adjust seats then you dont have the connections.

The new seats you are looking at will have either manual adjustment levers or electric adjust buttons.

cwgt93
28-05-2015, 03:26 PM
If you have original electric seats they you have the connections. If you have manual adjust seats then you dont have the connections.

The new seats you are looking at will have either manual adjustment levers or electric adjust buttons.
Ok thanks. They are manual and got them coming tomorrow :) are there any guides anywhere on how to remove seats and doors cards that you know of?

Atik
28-05-2015, 04:27 PM
I am sure I did a write up many years ago. But there isnt anything hard about changing the seats. Should be less than an hour even with minimal experience.

Literally four bolts per front seat, unclip the seat belt light warning plug. If your car has seat airbags, then there is an additional plug. If you have this, I'd recommend undoing the battery, pump the brake a few times to drain out any power, then unclip the airbag connector.

The rears are little fiddlier! Pull out the bench, this gives you access to the bolts. One each for the side bolsters. then you just lift the bolsters up and away. There are bolts for the split fold hinges. Undo, and pull away. And finally the bolts for the centre seatbelt. When you get to this, if you have a centre lap belt originally, you will need to move the retainer clip to the other side, ie the lap belt is mounted driver side, and the retainer is passenger side. The 3point belt requires the belt mounting on the passenger side, so you need to move the retainer to the driver side. Easy!

Door cards are not too tough either. Remove screws inside edge of the door cards and outer edge of the door cards. Remove screws from the inside of pull handle and behind the lever handle. Pull the handle plastics up and out of the door cards. Then feel at the underside of the door card for a small gap big enough to get finger tips in and firmly/gently pull away from the door. There are around 5-6 plastic tabs holding them down. once they are loose, get the electrics for the door lights and the window buttons unplugged. Lift the door card up out of the door. On the front, you'll need to pull the tweeter covers away to give enough clearance to do this.

Fitting is just a reversal of the above.

cwgt93
28-05-2015, 06:41 PM
I am sure I did a write up many years ago. But there isnt anything hard about changing the seats. Should be less than an hour even with minimal experience.

Literally four bolts per front seat, unclip the seat belt light warning plug. If your car has seat airbags, then there is an additional plug. If you have this, I'd recommend undoing the battery, pump the brake a few times to drain out any power, then unclip the airbag connector.

The rears are little fiddlier! Pull out the bench, this gives you access to the bolts. One each for the side bolsters. then you just lift the bolsters up and away. There are bolts for the split fold hinges. Undo, and pull away. And finally the bolts for the centre seatbelt. When you get to this, if you have a centre lap belt originally, you will need to move the retainer clip to the other side, ie the lap belt is mounted driver side, and the retainer is passenger side. The 3point belt requires the belt mounting on the passenger side, so you need to move the retainer to the driver side. Easy!

Door cards are not too tough either. Remove screws inside edge of the door cards and outer edge of the door cards. Remove screws from the inside of pull handle and behind the lever handle. Pull the handle plastics up and out of the door cards. Then feel at the underside of the door card for a small gap big enough to get finger tips in and firmly/gently pull away from the door. There are around 5-6 plastic tabs holding them down. once they are loose, get the electrics for the door lights and the window buttons unplugged. Lift the door card up out of the door. On the front, you'll need to pull the tweeter covers away to give enough clearance to do this.

Fitting is just a reversal of the above.
Awesome thanks alot, much appreciated. Where abouts is the seat belt warning plug located? Under the seat?

Atik
29-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Yes, should be a tiny little plug very obvious when you get to the underside of the seat.