PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Park 26/2/05

Physician
27-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Went on a driver training course at Mallory yesterday.

Superb day for the most part and learned loads - was instructed by Robin Liddel in car and classroom. This guy has a string of racing successes including Le Mans racing. It was good because he has a natural ability to communicate his knowledge in simple ways that I could easily understand.

Only problem was when I was out on track by myself. I've made a brief video - link below. Part 1 is the pits straight without any problems.

OK ....... listen VERY carefully in Part 2 just a fraction of a second before I go under the pedestrian bridge crossing the track. When I get to the end of the straight ........... eeeeek.

This problem has been the issue on a number of posts here - a bit disconcerting when it happens as one approaches a bend at 80+ mph! OK, all you techies - tell me what happened - it took me about 5 seconds to realise but my pants were full by then.

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/mallory.mov

psbarham
27-02-2005, 02:54 PM
i bet you knocked the lever over and put it in N instead of up a gear , any way hope you enjoyed the day , i love that track we used to test a lot there when i used to do 400 supersports . and next time you watch the video just think about what it would take to get a car in the lake on the inside of gerrads (first corner) coz when my dad worked at mclaren in the early 70's one of the drivers managed to put a f5000 car in there and then they managed to put a can am car in there as well !!!!!!!!

bernmc
27-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Great vid. Not enough!

Impressed by the way the car gained on those little 2 seaters in the bend (part 1).

Can you post details of the course you did - duration, cost etc.

Jimbo
27-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Hope the course went well Rich, was it as good as it sounded, the tuitition, etc?

I'm guessing either it was very damp or the training paid off, I didn't hear the slightest bit of tyre sqeal on the long right after the pits! :thumbsup:

Hope you had a great time mate - go on then, what was the "clunk" noise, it did look like it was an upshift point so I'm guessing the same as above, that you were in D /lol

Nothing a new pair of undercrackers wouldn't solve /yes

Spirit
28-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Looks like you had another fun day out on track Richard, well done mate.

I concur with the above.........

Physician
28-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Nope ........ you are all wrong lol !

It's the same damn *(*)$%^£ing problem ......... power steering belt shredded and I ended up at end of straight not being able to turn until I realised what was up and managed to work my poor weak muscles a bit harder!

Yes Jimbo ........ it was a real eye opener and I learned a load. Will definitely go on to the second stage course as soon as it's arranged. It was exceptionally well managed with high quality course materials and very, very good instruction.

Rich

Jimbo
28-02-2005, 10:23 AM
It's the same damn *(*)$%^£ing problem ......... power steering belt shredded

Oh no, not again :sick:

Polabear
28-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Nope ........ you are all wrong lol !

It's the same damn *(*)$%^£ing problem ......... power steering belt shredded and I ended up at end of straight not being able to turn until I realised what was up and managed to work my poor weak muscles a bit harder!

Yes Jimbo ........ it was a real eye opener and I learned a load. Will definitely go on to the second stage course as soon as it's arranged. It was exceptionally well managed with high quality course materials and very, very good instruction.

Rich

For what it is worth Rich, since having my last PS belt fitted and adjusted PROPERLY this time I have had no problems whatsoever, apparantly my mate tells me that its all to do with expansion....the mitsi's engine just like the honda's to name but one expand quite a bit when hoofed to hotness, and if the belt is not adjusted correctly and to coin a phrase (piano wire tight) they want to throw, but because the alternator belt is on the outside it can't throw the belt totally so it jumps a groove on the PS pump pully and shreds itself....... /yes