PDA

View Full Version : Ride height

galantnight
10-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Hi all,
Jacked my car up and now it seams to be at a higher ride height , been to japfest in it so had a good run to settled down, when I saw a photo of my car I could tell it did not look right.
I am running teins with bilsteins
Is it possible that I have over extended them?
Or maybe go for a good run and see if I can put some pressure on them.
Will add photos when I get on laptop.
Thanks

Davezj
10-06-2015, 08:08 PM
should not have an issue jacking the car up.
the car might sit a little higher for a while until you go out and drive it but once round the block, a few hundred yards and it should be back to normal.

galantnight
10-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Normally it's ok but this time ride is higher
Not much higher about 10mm but it don't look right will see if I have photos that I can upload tommorow to show the difference

97legnum
11-06-2015, 12:55 AM
Any chance the springs weren't entirely captive and have hooked up on their seats? That may account for 10mm. Have you jacked it up again since to have a look what's going on?

galantnight
11-06-2015, 03:39 AM
Thanks not jacked it up again but will do and see if it is the reason why

galantnight
11-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Jacked car up and look all ok just out for a drive will see what it does when I get home

galantnight
11-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Still the same but I give it another run and try to corner a bit harder and see if it makes it any lower

Has anybody got any other ideas on what to do??

Nick Mann
11-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Are you certain that the ride height has changed? Are you now parking in a different place? Taken tools out of the boot? Swapped wheels/tyres?

galantnight
12-06-2015, 04:03 AM
Hi Nick yer certain height has changed will post photos
So that you can see
Just so busy don't get time but will get time today72614726137260872609726107261172612

Now these are the before photos when i believe the ride height was ok and now........................

If they have come out right the second one here was what made me think the ride height was wrong taken on the way to japfest.
The third one here is a before.
Please let me know what you think ?

Is it because it needs a good run fully loaded up as the suspension is quiet solid so needs a bit more time to settle down.

galantnight
12-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Photos now added
Who's going to be the one to give me the right answer.........................................??? ?

Humpty's Revenge
12-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Photos now added
Who's going to be the one to give me the right answer.........................................??? ?

Have you checked to see if one of the suspension arms that bolt to the body or hub hasn't stuck in place due to a bolt rusting solid ?

IE when the car was jacked up everything headed south but when put back on the ground the rusted bolt has made the arm or arms stay where they were ? & hasn't returned to settle properly

It can happen sometimes

galantnight
12-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks Steve,
But would this be on all four wheels or just one side that can cause this

Will check all around and see if I can spot anything.

galantnight
13-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Had another look at this jacked car up took wheel off then jacked up hub seamed to go all the way,

then on other side jack up car put a 4" block under it lowed it down then jacked back up and the took for a good drive and ............

still the same.

one more thing to try after that don't no.

anybody else?????

Davezj
13-06-2015, 08:18 PM
From the pictures posted up I can't really see any difference in ride height. From the before and after.
Sorry

galantnight
13-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Thanks Dave but i can see a difference when i look at car,
may just be me.

Davezj
13-06-2015, 09:07 PM
I think it might be angle you are taking the picture from.
If you take a picture from straight on, directly looking at the wheel and arch it would be much more obvious to see any difference in ride height. This is assuming you have a similar from before the change was noticed.

PaddyB
14-06-2015, 12:40 AM
I think the pictures have got a bit mixed up - which makes it difficult for us to see what you mean.

On post #9: picture 2 of the before set also picture 3 in the after set (i.e. the same photo); likewise picture 1 of the before set is picture 6 of the after set. That's why we're struggling.

Lovely car btw.

Humpty's Revenge
14-06-2015, 08:53 AM
I think the pictures have got a bit mixed up - which makes it difficult for us to see what you mean.

On post #9: picture 2 of the before set also picture 3 in the after set (i.e. the same photo); likewise picture 1 of the before set is picture 6 of the after set. That's why we're struggling.

Lovely car btw.

Speakadaenglish....:book:

galantnight
14-06-2015, 01:45 PM

Lovely car btw.

Thanks
I see what you mean
These are now photos,
Compare with the before photos except the ones that got mixed up

Davezj
14-06-2015, 06:18 PM
so which pictures are before and which are after you are going to have to spell it out, put a picture up, describe what it is underneith. do this for each pic you post up.

the only diffence that is obvious is in the able post is the first picture top left has a bit more of a gap between arch and tyre.

but you can get this type of change depending on which side of the car is parked against the crub on a road due to the camber of the road, it pushes more weight to the side of the car next to the curb because the road is slightly lower.
if you put a spirit level on the ground where the car is parked you can check if the car is actually on flat level ground or not.

galantnight
14-06-2015, 08:27 PM
thanks Dave the photos are what i took today and it is parked on a bit of a sideways slope will check on level ground.