PDA

View Full Version : New member down south UK

mogston
11-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Hi

I've always loved the look of the Galant estate (almost bought one nearly 10 years ago but ended up with a Subaru Legacy estate instead) but only recently discovered the Legnum and I'm hoping it's going to be my next car

I don't own a Legnum yet but the time has come to let go of my beloved RX8 and get something more 'sensible' - well, something with more luggage space anyway, the extra horsepower is a bonus!

So, I have a couple of things to sort out before taking the plunge into VR4 land

Finding a good example to buy (I'm not a mechanic and don't have the time/space to fix one up)

Finding a good mechanic to work on it

I live in Tunbridge Wells, Kent but from my research so far it seems most of the Legnum action is in the North - can anyone recommend a garage or mechanic anywhere near me and possibly a good dealer or Legnum for sale?

At least there is a proper owners forum :laugh:

EDIT: Found references in the forum to Eurospec in Guildford which is close enough - are they any good??

MPBVr4
11-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Welcome aboard. This is the best place, the only place to be if you've got a Galant.
Eurospec know these cars in side out. So yes a good place go :thumbsup:

Erni902
11-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the club Martin, yes certainly the guys that know the most about these cars would be Eurospec but a very good mechanic will be able to sort you out with any work you need doing.

The only thing to watch out for is the servicing, due to the AYC etc there are extra bits that need fluid changes at service time and not just the engine oil and gearbox oil. Even Mitsubishi can screw this up so make sure whoever does the servicing knows exactly what to do and what fluids to put in. There are tons of threads on here about what fluids need replacing at what intervals and the best fluids to use.

As for dealers you will only really find importers such as Ebony and Ivory etc that have these cars however given the rarity of these cars now I think you will have to enquire about having one imported to order. You are hard pushed to find private sales these days let alone dealer sales.

If you have the funds then importing a fresh model that has not been exposed to the salt and weather conditions over here maybe the best option.

Either way whatever you decide good luck in your hunt :)

mogston
11-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks Rikki my next question was going to be about importing. Have already seen some good looking ones on import sites but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to buy something at such a great distance

Mind you, I'm a bit weird when it comes to buying cars, I spend ages researching and agonising about which one to get then seem to buy the first one I look at!

Not sure how long it will take to find one but I will run it by the buyers forum if I find one I like the look of

As for servicing I'll probably get Eurospec to do those and leave the other mechanical stuff to my local guys

Getting excited now, project Legnum is go!

Erni902
11-06-2015, 07:49 PM
No worries dude, I would say with a VR-4 or any car really not to run out and buy the first one you see. Know what you want, research, and test drive a few. I am a bad example as I did indeed buy the first one I looked at but I did have test drives in 2 others before I committed so thats my excuse lol.

You could end up buying something that looks good on the outside but is a bit of a lemon underneath. The 2nd one I bought was in brilliant nick outside but had some issues mechanically although I knew this when I bought her and was willing to sort them out. All bar 1 are now sorted :)

Its always handy if you are near someone that owns one who can take you out in theirs and talk about any issues and things to look out for etc.

Nick Mann
11-06-2015, 10:17 PM
/Welcome

Good advice above. Rust is becoming more of an issue, so have a good look round, especially wheel arches and strut towers. Eurospec are awesome! Plenty of info to read about on here, so plenty to digest whilst looking for one to buy!

elnevio
11-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Eurospec are so good, I even made them their very own smiley! :eurospec:

peter thomson
15-06-2015, 02:15 PM
The sills are also a good place for rust but from the inside out rather than external. The one I just broke had severe rust issues inside the sills . The strengthening plates inside the sills were all like paper. It would be worthwhile if you for an import to get these properly waxed in the sills before the UK weather takes there toll

sigmapetman
27-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Welcome aboard. This is the best place, the only place to be if you've got a Galant.
Eurospec know these cars in side out. So yes a good place go :thumbsup:
Hi , I'm new to all this forum type stuff , I have what appears to be a rare car that I am having trouble finding anything about and I am hoping that someone on this site knows someone or something about my car . It is a Mitsubishi Sigma estate on a N reg , 1996 , it has a 6G72 3 litre V6 engine with a manual gearbox , I have had it for 2 or 3 years and it has always had an intermittent fault with the idling , some days perfect other days a real b**** , sometimes pulsing between 1000 rpm and 2800 rpm and sometimes not idling at all but driving well no misfiring , but stalling when you dip the clutch but restarting immediately !!! . Any help would be most appreciated . I'm in Sussex and have never seen another anywhere I have travelled in the UK , does anyone know of another anywhere or anyone have any knowledge of what to check or how to set up the settings in / on the throttle body etc etc ,
Cheers ,
Dave

MPBVr4
28-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Hi Dave

I'm sure somebody on here will have an idea and/or an opinion..........they usually do:d

Might be better to put up a new thread. Titled "Mitsubishi Sigma V6...Help !!" or similar...... usually gets somebody's attention.

Probably in UK Chat forum.

mogston
03-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Its always handy if you are near someone that owns one who can take you out in theirs and talk about any issues and things to look out for etc.

Ok so are there any forum members from down my way - I live in Tunbridge Wells so anything in the SouthEast UK or London is fine, maybe further...

chris_dono
06-07-2015, 08:26 AM
I'm not far from you, happy to chat if you need help with anything. Eurospec is the only place to go, don't bother with anyone else!

mogston
15-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Ok so I'm a bit slow updating but I did manage to find and buy a Legnum and it's a beauty

Made in 1999, Hamilton Silver facelift model imported in 2012, mileage is about 80k
Previous owner has spared (almost) no expense (i had to get the front flexi pipe repaired) so the car is mechanically excellent
Bodywork and interior are what I can only decribe as 'mint' - even still has the road flare!
Starts, goes & stops exactly as it should with no unpleasant noises
All in all the perfect car and I LOVE IT!!!

mogston
15-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Not a very good picture, sorry!

elnevio
16-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Nice one!

:pimp2:

Davezj
16-11-2015, 06:06 PM
welcome to fun time, the right foot is addictive and expensiive at the pump.

mogston
19-11-2015, 12:43 AM
welcome to fun time, the right foot is addictive and expensiive at the pump.

Yep, got that sussed 😉

So far i've varied between 17-26 mpg which is much the same as my other car (RX8) so at least I'm used to it...
If you want to have fun it costs money
obviously...

Also, I do need a few odd bits & bobs for it, where is the best place on here to ask for help?

Davezj
19-11-2015, 02:07 PM
if you want something in particular then you can start a WTB thread (Want To Buy) and if anyone has one they want to sell the will post back up in the thread.
Or if it is just general stuff then try searching on this forum for the item, most bits and bobs will have been discussed before and places found to buy them from if it is small items low value items then a mitsi dealer is a good place to start.
or of course ebay is a popular search just be careful the item is what it says it is.
you can always do a thread and post up an ebay link to the part and ask if it is any good, other will have probably already bought it in the past and they can say yes or no to quality or if a part is genuine OEM or after market.

mogston
19-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Cheers for the info, plenty of options then!

There is a mitsi dealer just down the road who knew what a Legnum was when I was asking about getting the exhaust fixed so I'll try them first as the bits I need are mostly small rubbery stuff and fasteners/clips

Happy day today, just got an awesome new sound system installed. Also got the fitter to remove the annoying Toad immobiliser which allowed the remote start to work. No more hurriedly driving off with a windscreen I can't see through 😊

Gotta love the Japanese and their crazy toys..

sigmapetman
13-01-2016, 03:21 AM
Hi Dave

I'm sure somebody on here will have an idea and/or an opinion..........they usually do:d

Might be better to put up a new thread. Titled "Mitsubishi Sigma V6...Help !!" or similar...... usually gets somebody's attention.

Probably in UK Chat forum.
Hi , yippee ! I have managed to get back into this forum at long last ....
I hope you didn't think I was being rude/ignorant . My phone had a lock up then in the reset I lost all my sign in names and passwords etc etc , sometimes I could get in , sometimes not , etc etc .......
Anyway still got the Sigma , still over revving on idle , but running better , not dying so much when you dip the clutch at junctions ..... still frustrating as **** !
I've cleaned the throttle body quite often , cleaned Maf , pulled pipes sprayed them with throttle body cleaner ......
Still not sure what difference if any it has made . All seems good just after its been done , then the next time you turn it off and then restart it might be perfect but then it might rev to 3k rpm .....
Does my problem sound anything like what galants or vr4's get ?
Do you know of any galant/vr4 meets down South anywhere ?
Also do you know of a bloke/shop up near Southend that is supposed to be good on 3000gt's , I did have it saved along with loads of other saved pages of relevant info ... all gone when the phone froze .....:eek::confused:
I hope that the password situation has been resolved , it hasn't been on TGC site yet ....
Best wishes .
Dave

sigmapetman
21-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Me , back again , what is it with Tapatalk , I'm signed up to a few forums for different subjects , sometimes I can get in other times not , some stuff I have participated in is there sometimes not .......
Anyway back to .... does anyone know of a Mitsubishi official website that allows you to check on official spares . An irish member whose name I can't remember did mention it but didn't tell me the details .

Davezj
21-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Most people use ASA, or partsbase.org

Sent from my space-aged gizmo