PDA

View Full Version : Any Plasti-Dip Experts Around?

Erni902
26-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Any of you guys know much about Plasti Dipping?

Been doing some reading and think this is the route I will be heading down at some point. I just cant seem to find the answer to one particular question:

Is it only available in standard colours or can you supply a paint code and have it matched?

Also the aftercare side of things, is it safe to take to an Arc/Imo car wash or is it strictly hand wash only?

Im sure Ill have a few more questions but these are the main ones for now.

TIA

Pugme
26-06-2015, 11:02 PM
The best thing to wash it with is dodo juice glass cleaner.

My house mates 200sx is dipped, he did it on the drive and we have a full professional dip kit in the cupboard downstairs :-)

Search youtube for "dipmycar.com" there is some awesome colours out there.

If your looking for a company to do the car, have a look at "matt pack" in essex, it's where we got our kit from.

Me and my housemate will both be at jap show, don't judge the finish off his too harshly, underneath the dip, is his paint which is shed paint and was applied with a roller haha

WOODY72
27-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Hiya Ricky, you still have this tailgate to pick up from me at sometime?

Erni902
27-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Hiya Ricky, you still have this tailgate to pick up from me at sometime?

Oh balls Id completely forgot about that Graham! Let me see if I can arrange the works van for a day and Ill come grab it.

paulg23
02-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Not an expert but I have been looking into 'dipping' parts of my Legnum... namely the front bumper, bonnet and roof. The front has so many chips and dents on it from various pieces of junk 'caught' on the M1 and the bonnet and roof are losing their lacquer.

Bought a can of Gun Metal Matt Plasti Dip and had a play with front grill. Probably not the easiest part because I didn't want to dip the plastic mesh bit so tried to mask it.

Sprayed it outside (25 deg C). Main issue was keeping flies off it. Gave it 4 coats. Had to go out unexpectedly so about 2 hours before I could remove the masking tape from the mesh. Too long I think as the dip wouldn't let go of it so I have some torn edges on the dip. It did come off the 3 diamonds without issue though.

Next time I am going to try the stuff from CarDipUK. It gets good write ups.

Erni902
07-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Well done for doing the grille yourself mate it looks really good. Think Im just going to pay for someone else to do it rather than do it myself as I would have to a) fork out for the gear b)find the time to do it c) hope the conditions lend themselves well as I dont have a garage or any kind of cover to do it so just easier to pay someone lol.

Pugme
07-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Matt pack quoted me 500 to do the bmw 550 including the hardtop, but this doesn't include shuts.

Did you see the purple 200 with me on sunday? Granted the quality is poor, but it's poor underneath lol that was done on our drive in one day from white to purple.

Erni902
07-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Aha yes I did see that but I completely forgot to take a real good look lol. On the face of it it didnt stand out as a bad job anyway so all good. Yeah I will check out Matt Pack now. I have a real specific colour in mind but its quite a bold choice for the Legnum so no idea how it will look, especially if I cant colour match plasti dip by the paint code.

Pugme
07-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Flips, pearls, metal flake anything is possible now with dip.

Search dipyourcar on youtube and check out some of fozs videos

Erni902
11-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Ok so it starts out with a base price of £550 for the VR-4. But if you want to choose a non-standard colour then its extra £50. Then to have any finish other than Matte its extra £250 and if you want non scratch and petrol resistance then you are talking another £200.

Why you wouldnt expect these as standard is beyond me but what looked like an uber cheap alternative to wrapping turns out just a fraction cheaper.

HPRULZ
18-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Aha yes I did see that but I completely forgot to take a real good look lol. On the face of it it didnt stand out as a bad job anyway so all good. Yeah I will check out Matt Pack now. I have a real specific colour in mind but its quite a bold choice for the Legnum so no idea how it will look, especially if I cant colour match plasti dip by the paint code.

You do realise that if this turns out in any way to be pink that I will have to hunt you down?!!!!!

:) Kev

Erni902
18-07-2015, 09:16 PM
You do realise that if this turns out in any way to be pink that I will have to hunt you down?!!!!!

:) Kev

Haha trust me no shade of pink is going anywhere near my car! Purple is a possibility but would be a deep purple and definitely not pink.