PDA

View Full Version : Sudden gearbox problem, Wont go in or out of gear. . .

nos monkeys
16-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Any insight to what may be the problem, I'm limited for time to work on my car its dark by the time i finish work and don't have a garage so working outside on the wet grass in the dark with no lighting isn't going to happen. So would love some input on what may be the problem.

I went for a drive in my manual vr4 legnum before drives as it would no problems done 50km fine. wasn't thrashing it or ramming through the gears, i came up to a give way sign so i went from 5th down the gears to first no problems then took off gently as i normally would from 1-2-3 then trying to go from 3rd to 4th it wouldnt come out of 3rd and after a few pulls it popped out then wouldnt go into 4th so tried putting it back into 3rd and nope wouldnt go into any gear moving. i gave it a rev while trying to push it into 3rd it grinded a tiny bit but went into gear. i stayed in 3rd the rest of the way home.

Driving in 3rd seemed fine i put my foot on the clutch and it seemed to work fine and starting coasting.

When i get home with the car turned off i can get it to go through the gears but only just it doesnt feel as smooth or as nice as it use too. when i start the car i can get it into first and when i slowly take my foot of the clutch it makes a weird clunky noise sometimes but moves forward fine. but then it wont come back out of gear.

while putting the clutch pedal in and out with it idling the clutch makes a noise.

I'm hoping my gearbox is still ok since when its in gear it still drives fine. . . im hoping its just a clutch problem, it has clutch fluid and the clutch fork moves in and out as it should when pressed.

is there anyway i can look/check my clutch without removing the gearbox. The clutch is only 2 years old ^.^ well so the receipts say but hey the receipts for the cambelt kit services and everything elses were photoshopped so the gearbox/clutch probably hasnt even been replaced.

I done the gearbox and transfer box oil a year ago.

TAR
16-07-2015, 10:03 AM
check the selector cables at both ends, one or both may have come adrift. There is a bracket on the gearbox where the cables are mounted, the mounts can come apart.

:happy:

Atik
16-07-2015, 10:34 AM
check the selector cables at both ends, one or both may have come adrift. There is a bracket on the gearbox where the cables are mounted, the mounts can come apart.

:happy:

First check, and very easy. I had the selector cable fall off the gear lever on a roundabout while in neutral! Zip-tied it back up and had no issues after that.
Also the selector cables at the gearbox side can sometime get sticky due the the bearings seizing up. There is a fix somewhere in these forums for using some skateboard bearing to replace the seized/worn bearings.

nos monkeys
16-07-2015, 11:19 AM
I did look at the selector cables on the gearbox while i got a mate to go through the gears at the gearbox end they looked fine and worked fine with the car off it went into 1st and 2nd and 3rd but when he went to take it out of 3rd it got stuck but didnt look like it was the cables but i will double check both ends next time its day light and im home

SEAN-NZ
16-07-2015, 11:49 AM
are you sure the clutch is completely dis engaging when you put your foot on it?

nos monkeys
17-07-2015, 03:26 AM
are you sure the clutch is completely dis engaging when you put your foot on it?

yes I think so, this morning when I put it in first it started to engage when my foot was about 1/2 way off the clutch . . put it into 3rd . . now its stuck in 3rd and wont come out. linkages still look ok but not sure what a broken on will look like ill have a proper look when I have time.

nos monkeys
17-07-2015, 07:02 AM
i think/hope its the linkages. i sprayed everything with crc and took it for a drive and it drives fine just hard to get in and out of gear but after a few yanking it through the gears and alot of crc it made a 2km drive home with no issues.

thank god its not a stuffed gearbox/syncros/clutch. Will take the linkages and stuff off to clean and find why there sticking on my next day off.

Cheers for the help

Cuture
30-07-2015, 03:14 PM
First check, and very easy. I had the selector cable fall off the gear lever on a roundabout while in neutral! Zip-tied it back up and had no issues after that.
Also the selector cables at the gearbox side can sometime get sticky due the the bearings seizing up. There is a fix somewhere in these forums for using some skateboard bearing to replace the seized/worn bearings.

Do either of you have a picture of the mountings?

I'm having trouble with getting gears shifted on, it started pretty soon after a clutch replacement and kinda thinking there might have been something going wrong with that. As far as I'w gotten so far is to find out that the gears go in with a little help, by helping the selector by hand, but not with out. I'm not sure how it would be possible, but I think then mountings are "upside down" facing the wrong direction.

Picture needed to confirm this.

Thanks!

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAH! The problem seemed to be really simple, the mounting was just running loose. The rubber that is supposedly to hold the mountings on place was gone, might have fallen of while the clutch was being changed but other than that i cant really find a explanation for the mystical disappearing. Simple quick solution until I get to visit the hardware store for new rubber and glue= Cable ties :DDD Works perfectly and having no issues with the selector anymore.