PDA

View Full Version : Removing oil filter without draining oil

Grid
20-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I fitted a sandwich plate to the oil filter, with oil pressure and oil temperature sensors screwed in. Did that along with an oil change. Then found out the temperature sensor is an NTC type and requires calibration to be able to connect it to the UTComp. That or it can also be converted to a digital type by replacing its insides with a 3-wire digi sensor. I simply forgot about all of that and did the oil change, along with the analog sensor fitting.

What are my options now - if I just unscrew the temperature sensor will all of my oil drain or just what is in the filter? I am guessing I won't be able to put the sensor back in unless I am able to clean the thread of oil. Unless somebody has experience with "Auto Gauge" brand temperature sensors? If I can get my hands on a spec sheet I may be able to guess the correct parameters without removing the sensor from the sandwich plate.

Any help appreciated :-)

MarkSanne
20-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Only question I can answer is that by removing the sensor you'll just have a low amount of oil coming out (maybe a cup) so very do-able.

Humpty's Revenge
20-07-2015, 01:01 PM
I fitted a sandwich plate to the oil filter, with oil pressure and oil temperature sensors screwed in. Did that along with an oil change. Then found out the temperature sensor is an NTC type and requires calibration to be able to connect it to the UTComp. That or it can also be converted to a digital type by replacing its insides with a 3-wire digi sensor. I simply forgot about all of that and did the oil change, along with the analog sensor fitting.

What are my options now - if I just unscrew the temperature sensor will all of my oil drain or just what is in the filter? I am guessing I won't be able to put the sensor back in unless I am able to clean the thread of oil. Unless somebody has experience with "Auto Gauge" brand temperature sensors? If I can get my hands on a spec sheet I may be able to guess the correct parameters without removing the sensor from the sandwich plate.

Any help appreciated :-)

You will get a bit out so best put something under it to catch it

Grid
20-07-2015, 02:29 PM
OK thanks for the confirmation! Not much risk in doing this then