PDA

View Full Version : Is my Turbo dead!

gazz
01-08-2015, 06:15 PM
I think the probable answer is yes, but thought I'd post up a little vid!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/gazz200581/vr4/th_VIDEO0122_zpsuzcbywlf.mp4 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/gazz200581/vr4/VIDEO0122_zpsuzcbywlf.mp4)

I have noticed that there was a blow coming from the front, so I'm assuming thats why the smoke is showing there?

Nick Mann
01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
That looks like a lot of smoke for a blow? Are you sure oil/coolant isn't leaking?

A blown turbo most often starts showing itself as smoke from the exhaust on extended overrun.

gazz
01-08-2015, 11:32 PM
I can feel escaping exhaust gasses from around that area so it's definitely blowing, and yes it does puff alot of blue smoke on the overrun if pushed to high rpm's and then let off (even more so in tiptronic).

gazz
02-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Have had a look and there doesnt appear to be any leaks, so I'm pretty sure its dead! Is it possible to get a replacement cartridge for the turbo? I see loads listed for the TD03 on Ebay but I'm assuming there a is specific one for the Legnum.

gazz
03-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Still parts hunting, took the car out yesterday and if you keep the revs down there is very little smoke, although the smell of oil is very strong, I would imagine its worse as there is a blow coming from the front manifold so the fumes are entering the cabin. It really only happens when holding it on boost in tiptronic then letting off.
Ive had a quick search around here and other than the topic about the home rebuild I can't seem to find anything about replacing the chra.
Also keep bumping into comments relating to worn valve stem seals which is worrying me now!

swinks
03-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Yours looks like damage to hotside with seeping oil from shaft seals into cracked turbo housing. The hairline crack is enough to have smokey front :)
Anyway, try to find second hand turbo, cheaper than any other option.

gazz
03-08-2015, 12:52 PM
That makes perfect sense, I'll keep looking for a turbo!

Davezj
03-08-2015, 01:32 PM
i have a turbo i can sell you.

depends what you want though, i can do a second hand turbo that i believe is OK. i have not fitted it to car and tested it but i bought it in good faith as working. or i can send you a rebuilt turbo, new bearing, seals, etc, but not balanced after rebuild if you want it balanced then you can send it away yourself or just use it as it arrives to you. either way£70 plus postage.

gazz
03-08-2015, 02:31 PM
I was reading your posts about the turbo rebuilding, I see it gets mixed reactions about the need to balance, or not! Either way it's the first offer of one I've come accross so I reckon it could be the answer!

Davezj
03-08-2015, 02:52 PM
It is entirely up to you what you go for, if you can find out what is letting the exhaust gas out, a cracked housing or just a gasket.
You could refurb your own turbo or just replace.

gazz
03-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Yeah I think I'll get the heat shield off and see if I can identify exactly where the smoke is coming from.

Davezj
03-08-2015, 03:20 PM
It could just be a blowing gasket on the turbo elbow hopefully that is an easy fix, or a but of oil getting sprayed onto the turbo exhaust housing, again a fairly straight forward pipe replacement, but even if it is the front turbo that needs replacing it is something a competent more mechanic can do.

gazz
03-08-2015, 03:34 PM
I'm quite happy in doing the replacement, and with the smoke coming from the exhaust aswell I'm pretty sure its shot, but obviously if the turbo housing is damaged then obviously it cant be rebuilt. I'll go and get my tools out and take a look.

gazz
03-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Well, a slight revelation!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/gazz200581/vr4/IMAG2757_zps3c1vuzrm.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gazz200581/media/vr4/IMAG2757_zps3c1vuzrm.jpg.html)

Pretty sure thats not supposed to look like that!

So theres the cause of the blow, and the blue smoke is comin out of the crack, so is it safe to assume that the failed turbo is causing the smoke back through the manifold?

gazz
03-08-2015, 05:17 PM

Davezj
03-08-2015, 05:25 PM
I will have to check, but i can probably find a manifold to go with the turbo, PM me and we can talk delivery and address and time scales if you want.