PDA

View Full Version : ecu flash

ec5a
01-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Hi All,

I have taken my vr4 to two different tuners first one is into tuning na lancers and said he can flash but has no base maps. Second tuner has tuned many vr4's but said my ecu cannot be flashed?? And to get one from a 2001 model fl. Mine is a plactic case and assumed good to flash with ecuflash however could not be done. He explained it was a rare change over ecu and best to change it. I saw the chip on the board H8/539 apparently tunable but was told to find one ending in f or fa on the other numbers on the chip HD64F5398F16

Any advise would be great.

TAR
02-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Look at this thread
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?62831-Common-tuning-FAQ&highlight=ecu
:happy:

swinks
02-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Seems like you have rare ecu based on H8 chip.
Yes, due to vr4 being rare vehicle, you may need to deliver base map and so on to the tuner because they may not have one.
Seems like you have one of quite rare ecu with H8 chip.
Yes, it can be flashed using MMCFlash software and Openport 1.3 cable. For some reasons OpenPort 2.0 doesn't work properly with H8/539 ecu's.
In the past EcuFlash did not work with this ecu (I mean re-flash), but things could change since then.

And, price wise... It would be more convenient for you just to get ecu based on MH7202 chip which is easy to re-flash.

Davezj
02-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Seems like you have rare ecu based on H8 chip.
Yes, due to vr4 being rare vehicle, you may need to deliver base map and so on to the tuner because they may not have one.
Seems like you have one of quite rare ecu with H8 chip.
Yes, it can be flashed using MMCFlash software and Openport 1.3 cable. For some reasons OpenPort 2.0 doesn't work properly with H8/539 ecu's.
In the past EcuFlash did not work with this ecu (I mean re-flash), but things could change since then.

And, price wise... It would be more convenient for you just to get ecu based on MH7202 chip which is easy to re-flash.

can i point out you can flash the H8 ecu with openport 2.0 cable using mmcFalsh i have done it many times.
it may have been the setting you were using to read and write the ECU that caused you the issues.

swinks
02-08-2015, 12:25 PM
can i point out you can flash the H8 ecu with openport 2.0 cable using mmcFalsh i have done it many times.
it may have been the setting you were using to read and write the ECU that caused you the issues.
Oh, well... in that case OK, Dave.
I had some trouble with EcuFlash and H8 sitting in my Evo. Evoscan website recommends OpenPort 1.3 family for H8 chips.

OK, little correction. I was wrong. :)
Openport 2.0 is "must have" for H8 ecu from years 1996-2002 then, they changed H8 chip and from 2002 it's 1.3U recommended for H8 ecu's, but this does not apply to Galant/Legnum, just Evo. ;)

Davezj
02-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Oh, well... in that case OK, Dave.
I had some trouble with EcuFlash and H8 sitting in my Evo. Evoscan website recommends OpenPort 1.3 family for H8 chips.

OK, little correction. I was wrong. :)
Openport 2.0 is "must have" for H8 ecu from years 1996-2002 then, they changed H8 chip and from 2002 it's 1.3U recommended for H8 ecu's, but this does not apply to Galant/Legnum, just Evo. ;)

you know i can't possible comment on the evo ecu's as i have no experience of flashing those. I am only saying you can flash VR4 H8 ecus with a openport 2.0 cable.

just for reference you need to use the following to read and write the vr4 H8 ecu

Use MH7202F[128K] K-line to read and write rom.