PDA

View Full Version : Smoky ???????

kennyt123
03-08-2015, 05:28 PM
I have recently put a 3 inch decat pipe on and removed middle box from what I presume is my standard 2 1/4 inch powerflow exhaust also fitted a blitz induction kit now car seems smoky could decat pipe be to big or does car need tuning to mods or has something else gone wrong the car still drives pretty good any ideas thanks

swinks
03-08-2015, 05:41 PM
What colour of smoke?
If a bit dense white on startup and warm up engine then it's normal. You have bigger volume exhaust fitted and condensation inside exhaust pipes gets twice worst than stock system.
If blue smoke then I would start to worry, as that may been caught previously by cat converter, and now it exposed. Something wrong with either engine breathing system, valve stem seals, piston rings or turbo seals.

kennyt123
03-08-2015, 09:20 PM
White smoke swinks but I still think decat pipe may be too big maybe a smaller one or a straight through system may help

SEAN-NZ
03-08-2015, 11:48 PM
how long does it do it for? and hows the weather been, my first vr4 used to collect water in the exhaust and i had to give it a bit to clear it out

Davezj
04-08-2015, 12:04 AM
my first VR4 made masive white smoke on start up for about 3mins but it did have a 5" tail pipe. i had loads of un necessary work do on it trying to recify a problem that did not exist. which includes head gaskets, when i was a nubie to VR4's and nieve to the joys of pulling one of the beast apart.

i need the cam belt doing and all the sahft seals were a good thing to do at the time but the head gaskets were a step to far. once all the work was done it still made loads of white smoke on start up. and i mean a lot. i could not see if a car was following me on the road for the first 3 mins or so all i could see was white smoke.

white smoke on start up not a probalem.

kennyt123
04-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Mainly start and warm up so I'm relieved it's nothing major defo gonna go for smaller decat or straight through system had a quote of 325 from a company on ebay ouch lol

swinks
04-08-2015, 07:52 PM
How are flanges from 3" decat matching with 2.25 from cat back system?? You sure have some blow-by in that area ;)
Anyway, 3 inches system is notorius for collecting damp and water in a cold weather, so white steam cloud behing on warm-up is one of the feature. :)
You may be better with stock 2.25 system, but still in a winter months you will get some smoke :)

kennyt123
05-08-2015, 12:50 PM
The flanges mate ok it's an evo decat pipe but I think I will take it off n stick with stock size but do a straight through system cos where I removed middle pipe everything is fine just bought a length of stainless pipe with swaged ends and exhaust clamps and that went on as sweet as a nut but next time I drop exhaust gonna do away with clamps n get it welded