PDA

View Full Version : What is this pipe and is this necessary?

cwgt93
07-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Just putting the stock air filter back on this morning. Firstly I noticed the plastic pipe just below the air filter housing is badly cracked...does anyone one what the pipe is for? I was thinking something to do with climate control.

Also, on the inlet manifold there is a box attached underneath which I presume is to catch larger debris, however, it is fouling on an intercooler pipe. Would it be harmless to remove this box from underneath so I can get it fitted properly?

Thanks,

Charlie.

mcosworth
07-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Hi Charlie,
Looks like you have air filter box and snorkel pipe from n/a V6 galant, it has smaller diameter than VR4 one.

cwgt93
07-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Hi Charlie,
Looks like you have air filter box and snorkel pipe from n/a V6 galant, it has smaller diameter than VR4 one.

I see...in that case I need a vr4 one. Would it be OK to remove the little box attached to the snorkel pipe and fit it for the mean time?

Davezj
07-08-2015, 01:29 PM
does the little box on the bottom of the snorkel have a large hole going through it to the snorkel itself.

i was just wondering if it was some kind of addition to add another cold air feed to the air box from somewhere else or is it an obvious V6 N/A snorkel i am not familier with them.

cwgt93
07-08-2015, 01:45 PM
does the little box on the bottom of the snorkel have a large hole going through it to the snorkel itself.

i was just wondering if it was some kind of addition to add another cold air feed to the air box from somewhere else or is it an obvious V6 N/A snorkel i am not familier with them.

It's basically a box with a hole on the top connected up into the snorkel itself, not a hole on the bottom of the box. It was bolted on so I've removed it.

So now I've got the snorkel connected to the air filter housing but the snorkel has a hole in the bottom of it where this box was originally connected. I can't see it causing any problems?

And sorry Mac, in regards to diameter, do you mean the snorkel itself or? I'll want to buy the necessary vr4 part but not sure which bit you mean?

Confused
07-08-2015, 01:55 PM
That is a V6 n/a snorkel, the extra little box is a resonator box, an attempt to reduce intake noise.

You could remove the resonator box, however that means it will draw some warm air from under the bonnet.

It will do short-term, but longer term, you want to remove the front half of the filter box and snorkel, and replace them with the proper VR4 ones. The VR4 one has a larger diameter hole where the snorkel affixes to the filter box.

elnevio
07-08-2015, 01:57 PM
I think the little box is a resonator box. I recall it being mentioned some time ago. Guess it was to help with noise levels.

But yes, the VR-4 airbox has a larger inlet hole where the snorkel attaches, so the V6 one is a little more restrictive.

As it is, that hole won't be making much difference to you right now, although you could tape over it should you wish. Ideally though, you would want a complete airbox and snorkel from a VR-4.

elnevio
07-08-2015, 01:58 PM
/lol

Slowest finger second! :zzz:

How to get the same information in a slightly different order... :D

cwgt93
07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Awesome cheers guys. I'll get it a WTB post on the go!

Chris.W
07-08-2015, 08:05 PM
The plastic pipe you talk of is that the ribbed thing in your pics?
If so that looks like a wiring loom conduit to me dude.

cwgt93
07-08-2015, 08:52 PM
The plastic pipe you talk of is that the ribbed thing in your pics?
If so that looks like a wiring loom conduit to me dude.

You're probably right Chris! I'm just a worrier, I'll double check it in the light tomorrow. I see your up in Lossie, delightful place haha. Was there not long ago!

Chris.W
09-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Oh aye, what brought you up this way? Might have seen my beast floating around before the ill-fated ring trip of last September when my bonnet decided to open on a french motor way whilst traveling home :(

cwgt93
10-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Oh aye, what brought you up this way? Might have seen my beast floating around before the ill-fated ring trip of last September when my bonnet decided to open on a french motor way whilst traveling home :(

Just with work mate, that sounds fun! It's off the road for now then?

Chris.W
11-08-2015, 01:37 PM
I see.
Yup, long term dead at the moment. Needs quite the amount of repairs :( Having to wait till I find a better paid job or get a pay-rise.
Needs a new roof as has a big dent (thanks to the power bulge in the evo bonnet) in the leading edge plus some rustyness and pinprick holes along it.
Also needs new bonnet as the carbon one snapped when it folded over the roof. The windscreen got trashed too.
As an aside it turns out that my coil packs are faulty and the EGT thermocouple fell out of the exhaust manifold so needs new boss welded in.
Thinking it might be a good time to do a couple other bits and bobs too.

Never ends with these things, hahahaa. Was once told "buy a vr4 and never have money again".