PDA

View Full Version : gauges again!!! need help on a decision

billybobboot
15-08-2015, 11:26 PM
ok I currently have an old type defi meter 2bar boost gauge, I love it don't get me wrong, looks crisp very fast and reactive, no noise, love the green back light far better than the white, blue or red you can get now.

now my problem

I need to get some more gauges,

I need a oil pressure gauge and wideband a/f

I cant find any old ones that match my current gauge as I really want all my gauges to match eachother this leaves me with a few options

1. get new defi gauges but don't go wideband a/f (seams a bit pointless not getting wide band)

2. get new defi boost and oil pressure and get a prosport premium wideband gauge that looks and acts very sim to the defi or get aem but wont look the same.

3. just get prosport premium or what ever there top gauges are.

I do have a hks boost controller that displays throttle level and boost levels and vacume but its in sill jap numbers rather than psi or boost so not much help to me as I can only work in bar,

i only really use 2 gauges boost and oil pressure but as its always something good to have and now im going a bit mad by going td04 turbos thought its better to make sure im running on the good side rather than running lean at least if it does get lean i can do something about it rather than not knowing espech after my last engine gave up due to no oi pressure from a pipe coming off if i had just ignored the wife and bought the gauge i may have had a dffrent outcome.

anyways need some help guys as to what to do if i can ill go defi after seeing some vids of how close they are to a mechanical gauge you cant really get much better, but don't know if the new prosport gauges are better than the old ones, as the old one seam to be a little inaccurate and slow but there new ones seam much better, (also a lot of people didn't have the gauges set in the right place,)

anyways comments like progauge are rubbish but then saying ive never run with them isn't helpful, i know my decition comes down to me but i need so positive help as its £200 for any good wideband a/f including prosports and around £150-180 a defi gauge+the new controller unless i can find a old meter green oil pressure gauge. have have till end of sept to decide as that's hopfully when car is going back on road.

Nick Mann
15-08-2015, 11:34 PM
What units is the HKS boost reading in? I have only heard of psi and bar when looking at air pressure. Surely the Japanese don;t have a different unit?

billybobboot
16-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Uses kpi or something
Think its kg per square inch rather than pounds i have no idea what that equals to. And vacum is either same or something sim.
Cant remember the vacum reading normally but boost is at 62 or 63.

Nick Mann
16-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Are you sure it isn't kPa? That is the same numbers as bar but with the decimal point in a different place. So likely that you are seeing 0.62 bar.

billybobboot
16-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Nope def no bar as 2 gauges read 1 bar and the boost controler will hit warning at 63 fuel cut would kick in at 64. Which on the defi was around 1.1 bar. It prob dosnt help that the car isnt her to just go look at as its at work but ill check next time im there.

Its never seamed to make any sence to me why i got the defi working as the boost controler is so co fusing. Its not even a case of i want this boost like others you set it up in stages of 2s so low boost is set to 6-8 is about .8 and 12-14 is about 1 bar. What ever the hell 12 is. Then the gauge will read a compleatly diffrent number.
Its a old hks unit came on the car i love the thing it just reads dribble to me but it works.

billybobboot
16-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Its an old khs evc with control box with 2 round knobs with volume under 1 for 1 boost setting one for the 2nd setting. Then a mode/power button and then 4 buttons on the gauge no idea what they do couldnt understand the jap manuel all they seem to do is beep.

If i could solve this i might then just get 2 gauges the oil pressure and wideband a/f that match eachother but the defi is a lovely gauge.

billybobboot
16-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Ah just remembered tickover the gauge sits at -68-70
I might be reading the wrong part of the gauge all i know is if i set the limit lower it will hit it the give me actuator pressure for about 5 secs then go back to running boost but if hits will slow you down bit like fuel cut but its a boost cut i have it set so fuel cut cant kick in

billybobboot
16-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Solved i think its stuck in scrambler mode. Just found some uk manual online as im is the original jap one.
That might explain why it reads and makes no sence to me.

billybobboot
16-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Anyways back to gauges still dont know what to do really want a green defi oil pressure but you cant get them no more new ones vome red or white or blue think is the choice and red is too much as everything is red. Blue just looks chavi.

billybobboot
18-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Woo my boost controler is no in kpi rather than some random set thing. Till recons its only running max of 63

SEAN-NZ
19-08-2015, 01:32 AM
pictures would help

billybobboot
19-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Yer pics ant so easy as i cant start the car as its dead dead. E.g. its seized and when it last ran to see if it was dead it broke the exhaust cam pully and sent it thew the cover and onto the floor.

billybobboot
19-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Also found my boost gauge isnt in bar its in kg/cm2 its vertualy the same but as its come from a jap imported car they seam to only do everything in metric as we use a bit of everything.
Intresting subject really as we buy milk in pints, fuel in liters, average it by gallons, measure in cm but do hight in feet and weight bought items in kg but weigh ourselfs in stone. Mmm its good to be diffrent.

chris g
20-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I have the gauge from the group buy we did on here for wideband thingy whatsit - unused/unpacked..

If I can remember the details or others can tell you what we bought, you can consider that...

If you want to buy it we can sort a price plus postage

It was the preferred kit that quite a few owners on here prefer and use...

chris g
20-08-2015, 09:19 AM
And the item is....

Innovate MTX-L Wideband

billybobboot
22-08-2015, 07:19 AM
http://1jzmerc.com/hks-faq/accessories/hks-evc

Someone asked for the evc 5 user manual

billybobboot
22-08-2015, 07:20 AM
I dont like the look of the gauges i have looked at those before. I am intrestes but i would need to convince myself to buying it rather than wanting it.