PDA

View Full Version : Power steering belt

Physician
02-03-2005, 03:21 AM
Some of you will know that my power steering belt has gone AGAIN.

I've ordered a new crank shaft pulley to see if that will eventually fix the problem but in the meantime ....... I was messing with the existing pulley to see if there was any 'play' and it has ......... as per the old picture below (the belt has gone completely this time).

Should there be ANY 'play' whatsoever or is it fitted to allow a degree of movement as shown by the red arrows?

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom.

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/pulley.jpg

psbarham
02-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Most definatly not , the bad news is that you need a new / recon power steering pump, do not go to mitsubishi find a local motor factors or specalist , also check the idler pully behind the air con unit it gets a lot of road crud hitting it , i've just changed mine £88 from mitsubishi but if you do need one i'm in the process of machining a bearing centre to take a standard size bearing in the original pully so i should be able to do an exchange service for a reasonably small fee

Physician
03-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Most definatly not , the bad news is that you need a new / recon power steering pump, do not go to mitsubishi find a local motor factors or specalist , also check the idler pully behind the air con unit it gets a lot of road crud hitting it , i've just changed mine £88 from mitsubishi but if you do need one i'm in the process of machining a bearing centre to take a standard size bearing in the original pully so i should be able to do an exchange service for a reasonably small fee

Thanks pal. Let me detail what I've been told today as you are evidently far more clued up on car mechanics than I am.

History:
The power steering belt has shredded twice now and completely ripped off once. Each time it has been when I have been really pushing it in 'manual' tip mode. ie: red lining at 7000 rpm.

I have changed the large idler pulley but it has made no difference.

Present:
I now strongly suspect the power steering pump because of your comments above.

The Mitsubishi service data sheets detail that the V6 engine new power steering belt should have a 'give' of 8 - 12 mm.

Talking to a Mitsubishi mechanic when collecting my new Crank Pulley he said that they prefer to have the power steering belt with much less 'give' - he said exactly what Pola suggested in another thread 'piano wire tight'.

MY mechanic said that he would also prefer to make it tight BUT that this may put too much stress on the pump parts and that this may be the reason for the 'play' as detailed in my first post.

He went on to say that the A/C compressor puts very high demands on the mechanical systems and that if I wanted to track the car regularly ( high speeds ) then it may be a sensible solution to get a shorter belt and miss out the A/C pulley. Obviously re-connecting it in hot weather.

Do you agree with this logic from your experience? I'm going to track the car again on Saturday just to see what, if anything, happens with my new parts and tighter belt setting.

Anyone else got any comments? And ........ anyone want to do Mallory track day on Saturday - it's £159 in your car or you can drive my car or be a passenger on track for £15.

Thanks,

Richard

SGHOM
03-03-2005, 01:14 AM
anyone want to do Mallory track day on Saturday - it's £159 in your car or you can drive my car or be a passenger on track for £15.

Thanks,

Richard
I may just pop down there Richard !! not in my car though, in me van ! :embarasse I'll PM you nearer the time.

Physician
03-03-2005, 01:19 AM
I may just pop down there Richard !! not in my car though, in me van ! :embarasse I'll PM you nearer the time.

That would be great Derek.

I DO know that it's the bacon rolls you're after though!

Rich

SGHOM
03-03-2005, 01:31 AM
DOH !! I've been rumbled already !! /yes /yes :thumbsup:

psbarham
03-03-2005, 06:38 PM
1) i'd love to come to mallory coz i love that track but i've put up a fence for the parents
2) your mechanic has the easiest solution with the idea about the shorter belt but i've just had a look at mine and i don't think you'd be able to adjust the belt coz of the angle of the p/s pump in relation to the idler , the other thing is to get the tension just right over tighening will rip the bearings apart coz all of the load is concetrated on one side and as you have found out under tightening will cause the belt to flap about under load . the only solution i can come up wit is to make up a sping loaded tensioner to tension the top run of the belt from the p/s pump to the crank pully and then play around with spring tensions and see what works . i'll have a think and if i get time at the weekend i'll see what i can come up with and let you know .

Physician
03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
i'll have a think and if i get time at the weekend i'll see what i can come up with and let you know .

That's kind of you, thanks. Don't go out of your way though.

Richard

Kieran
04-03-2005, 12:31 AM
What gets me is why the V6-24 seems not to suffer this fault... Maybe the belt system is different in some way and that might be a clue?! :inquisiti

koala
30-05-2005, 11:40 PM
My GLS suffered from this Ended up replacing the main crank pulley £140 plus vat and idler tensioner behind the ps pulley is the main couse !!!! And guess what Just this weekend I went to collect my lovely VR4 and yes idler tensioner got a play as well so I am working fro mitsubishi these days!!!

Will be oredering my idler tensiner 2morrow!!

Kind regards