PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know how to convert my regular map to Kenneth's extended tables?

filthyrich
27-08-2015, 07:09 AM
I got my car pro-tuned, but want to try the features of the kenneth rom.

I figure if i can convert the tables, I can copy and paste into the new rom

Davezj
27-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Just copy the fuel and ignition tables to Kenneth's rom and fill in the gaps with a smooth transition as Kenneth's rom has much more space in the tables to play with . Use the built in features ecuflash and allow the software to fill in all the missing columns using the column select features and and the auto fill. The software will put values in the blank column which are pay way between the selected columns..

filthyrich
27-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Oh cool! That easy eh?

Davezj
27-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Yes it is simple if you know what you are. Doing and understand what the changes you are making are doing and not just doing a blind copy.

This is only for if you already have a tuned rom that you want to copy into Kenneth's rom. Remember to donate to Kenneth's development fund which is list in the Kenneth's rom thread, here has spent a massive amount of time and effort doing this and he should rightly be rewarded for it. It is not much to ask.
I am assuming you know what you are doing manipulating fuel and ignition table and you know that all the other settings are the same like injector size, latency, scaling, etc.
I am not going into that here. Also assumes you have a wideband AFR to ensure you have not made and stupid copy and paste errors as it is very easy to do. I would not recommend doing this without one.

First You have to make sure you have the same rpm scale on the left of the tables, if not then you will have to do the copying on a cell by cell basis 3500 rpm at 120 load from your table, to 3500 rpm at 120 load on Kenneth's table. Etc etc.
If you have to do the cell by cell copying then firstly make all the cells in kennths table zero to make the copying less complicated then you know exactly which cells you have populated before you do the interpolation with the software.
Or you can change the rpm scale on the left to make it the same as you original rom table so you can do the a column copy. This rpm scale is used in other tables so you have to know what you are doing.

If the rpm scale is the same the you can do column copying on load number basis. But I would still set all the cells in Kenneth's rom to zero before you start copying your column in.
copy the 100 load column to 100 load column in Kenneth's table and the 120 load column to 120 load column in Kenneth's table, etc, etc, then do the interpolation to fill in the zeros with good data.
This will get you up and running.

adaxo
27-08-2015, 12:42 PM
/yeathat:iagree::d

Dave you aware of that you'll be sitting on passenger seat while we strap my car on to rollers @ Eurospec

filthyrich
27-08-2015, 04:49 PM
I guess for load values 220 240 260 and 280 I just copy 200?

Davezj
27-08-2015, 05:51 PM
I do indeed,
We will be swaping maps do a couple of runs switch off engine swap map start engine do a couple of runs switch off engine swap the map switch on engine do a couple of runs.
I think I still have the formulated approach I wrote out last time we were going to do this.

Davezj
27-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I guess for load values 220 240 260 and 280 I just copy 200?

If 200 load is the highest load value from your rom then yes you can can replicate it in the higher load columns.
If your table ends at load 200 and you boost goes up higher and pushes the actual load value to say 210 or 220 the ecu uses the figures in the cell at the highest load value it has in the table.
Normally as load increases AFR number will decrease (richer) and as load increase ignition timing will decrease but as rpm increases ignition timing will increase.
So at the 220 240 260 loads in the new table for AFR the values can decease a bit for each consecutive column to keep it safe if the boost is tired up.
The same can be done for timing you can reduce the original 200 load value by a point in each load column able the 200 load in the new table. Again this is just for safety.
Once you have updated hi octane table 1 you must copy this to hi octane table 2.

One thing you must do is edit the low octane fuel and ignition map as well. I copy the hi octagon fuel table to both low octane fuel tables and reduce all values by one whole ARF.
The same applies for the ignition table but reduce all vales in the low octane tables by three degrees. This is just for safety.

Hope this makes sense.

filthyrich
27-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Yes good as gold. I made an excel sheet to convert from big to small, so it gets rid of any copy paste / input errors. For the blank cells I just told excel to average what was on either side.

Davezj
27-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Sounds good

filthyrich
28-08-2015, 04:37 AM
Does anybody have any kind of aftermarket small map roms? I just want to test my calculator out some more.

Davezj
28-08-2015, 07:58 AM
There are the original fuel and ignition tables further down in Kenneth's rom they are not used by the ecu. Only the the larger tables marked Kenneth fuel and ignition are used.

There is also a thread on with all the available factory roms for the vr4

I think it is linked from this thread about ecuflash with the videos

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67698

filthyrich
28-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Ahhhhh I saw the original tables in the rom, and then to be honest kinda wondered what the point of doing the extened ones were if I was just going to extrapolate the same thing. I'm glad to hear they aren't used.

Anyway the calculator seems to work. I tried it with all of the tables I could find and nothing looks like nonsense.

Adam.Findlay
29-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Yes it is simple if you know what you are. Doing and understand what the changes you are making are doing and not just doing a blind copy.

Remember to donate to Kenneth's development fund which is list in the Kenneth's rom thread, here has spent a massive amount of time and effort doing this and he should rightly be rewarded for it. It is not much to ask.

Amen to that! on both accounts