PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intakes / induction kits mythbusted

Grid
10-09-2015, 09:00 PM
It was interesting to watch and tbh does make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

I doubt anyone has ever proven a significant BHP gain from an induction kit. Actually it's easier to lose performance if you mess up the airflow to the MAF and/or start pulling in hot air from the engine bay.

Davezj
10-09-2015, 10:12 PM
i like mighty car mods they do some fun stuff and some intesting stuff. it is not always that controlled but it gets the point across.

adaxo
11-09-2015, 04:56 PM
I have a biggish mushrom filter on 90 degree huge silicon pipe bolted to maf, of swinks, didnt notice any difference BUT love the noise it makes when tubs spool (its poking though carbon bonnet wents so its loudish) and this is the reason why its still there, we will do few runs on dyno and then we swap to standard box with k&n panell to see if its make a difference in this setup.

swinks
12-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Some of members here may remember when I did comparison runs on dyno at Area52, stock filter box and Pipercross filter vs. K&N big cone filter. That's been done tho on SD mapped vehicle. Actual diffarence was just 2 WHP between both settings (cone filter better). This just proved that if you running SD converted vehicle actual shape of the filter doesn't affect the power output as such, what does matter is the easiest breathing by turbo compressor wheel which affect top end power.
Haven't done MAF mapped vehicle comparison yet ;)

swinks
12-09-2015, 02:32 PM
I have a biggish mushrom filter on 90 degree huge silicon pipe bolted to maf, of swinks,
Yes, it was located directly under cold air intake in my bonnet (where stock battery sits). Pretty cool thing tho.

adaxo
12-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Yeah remember that you did this on your evo but didn't remember exact differences, may cos they were marginal.