PDA

View Full Version : The path to powah (and better lap times)

Grid
11-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Having done a couple of trackdays my apetite is growing and I want to unleash the power sleeping in the mighty Legnum. Hoping to get some opinions from you guys on the path I want to take:

Phase 1:
- Decat (already done)
- AFR Wideband (already done)
- DS2500 pads (or DS3000 front, DS2500 rear). Carbotechs are just too bloody expensive for something I will tear through in a few months time.
- Slotted rotors
- Fuel pump DeatschWerks DW-200 (it is said to be quieter than the Walbro)
- Grimspeed Evo 9/10 3-port BCS
- Boost remap done by myself + some on-road tuning

Phase 2:
- Bigger FMIC or keep the stock one and just go straight for meth for trackdays and switchable maps
- Autobox oil cooler
- Downpipes and 3'' exhaust, not a straight-thru to keep it civilized
- Cusco rear strut / tower brace

Phase 3:
- Coilovers

Looking for best bang for the buck basically. The car is a daily driver and I want to keep her that way, sleeper during normal days / weeks and a good car for the trackdays.

adaxo
11-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Bigger ic will definitely get you some gains, especially with raised boost, and its not that costly. As 3 inches down pipes, and keep the rest or fit fujitsubo, if you find one :), its very civilised for daily use and roar beautifully on WOT and on they www its details of what gains this exhaust should give you.

Suspension side, cusco ARB, not so expensive from jp, and if you want daily use and track use then you will need adjustable coilovers, I prefer teins as they are very widely adjustable, from really soft (should say as standard ) to very stiff, if you can afford EDFC then you can adjust front and back independently and save 3 settings in memory or go mad and fit EDFC active pro it will adjust dampers 'on the fly' while accelerate /brake and cornering.

Nick Mann
11-09-2015, 11:01 PM
I've been told that the best way to improve lap times is through a bit of tuition. I haven't actually tried that myself yet though!

Grid
11-09-2015, 11:26 PM
I've been told that the best way to improve lap times is through a bit of tuition. I haven't actually tried that myself yet though!

:evil2: Over my de... blown engine! :cowboy:

Adam, cheers for the tips about ARB and EDFC. Have to start saving up the pennies!

Grid
25-01-2016, 10:35 PM
To update this thread a bit...

Already done:
- DS3000 front, DS2500 rear. Standard brakes otherwise. Excellent braking and phenomenal brake wear as well, front set (pads + rotors) wore out in 6 months. Got another one, so happy with this setup since it works so well and is not so expensive.
- Did not get slotted rotors - good set of pads and matched rotors do the job well enough along with Motul RBF 660 fluid.
- MBC - temporarily - since the stock boost solenoid is borked and the 3-port didn't get installed yet.

On its way:
- MBC removal
- 3-port BCS installation (got a generic MAC valve meant for fitment with ECU Master equipment, which is what gets normally repackaged into branded 3-ports)
- Deatschwerks DW-200 fuel pump (they are said to be quiet and not requiring a hotwire to run OK)
- FPR (not sure which one yet)
- Fuel loop (considering this one: http://www.amber-performance.co.uk/product.php?xProd=7104 not sure if it fits)
- Injector cleaning (locally)

all of the above in preparation for a basic boost increase and tune

Wodjno
25-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Thats definitely not going to happen here either :D

Grid
25-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Thats definitely not going to happen here either :D

Where would be the fun in that! /lol

Think of me as that "trackday guy":

https://youtu.be/ZGV9xMiKWZs?t=76

Grid
05-03-2016, 06:29 PM

Just managed to spend 3 hours trying to remove the front bumper, only to realize I don't have a long enough extension to remove that last screw that's hidden just next to the washer fluid bottle. Mitsubishi engineers have small and capable hands. :D

chris g
05-03-2016, 08:42 PM
So to get some practice why not come along to the Ring Fri 8 Apr for BTG/Circuit Day trackday...

If not able to do trackday, come along and you can be passenger and get some laps with me...

Grid
05-03-2016, 09:49 PM
So to get some practice why not come along to the Ring Fri 8 Apr for BTG/Circuit Day trackday...

If not able to do trackday, come along and you can be passenger and get some laps with me...

This year all my disposable cash is going into mods, a tune, and training on the nearby track in Poznan. The 2015 Ring trackday made me feel very humble about my track skills, and I need to brush up first before returning, probably next year.

chris g
05-03-2016, 10:43 PM
This year all my disposable cash is going into mods, a tune, and training on the nearby track in Poznan. The 2015 Ring trackday made me feel very humble about my track skills, and I need to brush up first before returning, probably next year.

I guess that mean not able to attend for passenger laps...?

Grid
05-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I guess that mean not able to attend for passenger laps...?

I would very much like that. I need to however look into whether I can get my butt over there (days off, transport etc.).

Davezj
06-03-2016, 12:27 AM
most trackdays will offer free tuition from instuctors on the the day on a first come first saved bases.
but usually available all day.

Well worth taking advantage off.
It is amazing the stuff you learn from track to track

Grid
06-03-2016, 12:22 PM
most trackdays will offer free tuition from instuctors on the the day on a first come first saved bases.
but usually available all day.

Well worth taking advantage off.
It is amazing the stuff you learn from track to track

Cheers Dave, I realized my limitations during rides with an instructor at the Ring last year. My instructor was Andy Carlile, you may have heard about him :D

I was feeling like a rookie on some corners, planning on visiting the Poznan track in Poland several times this year to get practice and an instructor to sit with me. At the same time the car is a hobby so I want to squeeze a bit more out of it while keeping the safety factor. The major limitation is in my head obviously. Still I was able to drive quick enough round the Ring and Poznan circuit to make my passengers feel nausea. It isn't too difficult to achieve at the Ring with its rollercoaster ride, but Poznan is flat like a pancake so I had to really push hard to achieve it :D

chris g
06-03-2016, 12:52 PM
In my experience 'free tuition' at trackdays is not usual...

Grid
06-03-2016, 05:12 PM
In my experience 'free tuition' at trackdays is not usual...

50/50 so far in my experience - at the track in Poznan it's included in the price but you have to chase down an instructor. At the Ring it was extra (RMA trackday), but also very good value.

WOODY72
07-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Although the VR4 is a very capable car, the easiest way to go faster is to sell it and get something more capable. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed my VR4 all the time I had it, just that my wallet had trouble keeping up!

Nick Mann
08-03-2016, 08:49 AM
As a track car there are lots of things more capable. Not many of them would take a family of four on a weeks camping trip too though!

WOODY72
18-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Dead right Nick. I drove down to Southern Spain and returned absolutely fully loaded to the hilt, so far as I couldn't use the headlamps when I got back to Portsmouth because they were to high, I had to drive home on front fogs. But it handled it with ease, cruising at 90 to 115mph, cracking car!

Grid
26-06-2016, 12:08 AM
Although the VR4 is a very capable car, the easiest way to go faster is to sell it and get something more capable. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed my VR4 all the time I had it, just that my wallet had trouble keeping up!

It turns heads though! At the track parking lot - Porsche, Porsche, AMG, Evo, WTF is an estate car doing here? Then after some laps they come up and ask - what engine is that running? :smug:

Grid
26-06-2016, 12:29 AM
So after going to the Ring in 2015 and a couple of visits to Poznan... and finding out I did all that on wastegate pressure due to a borked boost control solenoid I started doing the maintenance/upgrades. What complicates the fact is that I have a full time job, 2 kids at home and basically no time. Also I know nothing about working on cars, and I learn on the job. I end up working on the car a couple of hours on weekends, and at nights if I feel up to it. It goes slow and gets me down sometimes. Only thing going for me is that I have a garage and driveway to use.

Well anyway, just to list the things I've done and plan to do:

- Bigger FMIC installation. Because I didn't want to half-ass this one, it felt just wrong, I designed and manufactured brackets, spacers... well the rest of it is in a different thread. Status: finished
- FMIC pipe thermocouples - Because I'm a geek. This complicated the FMIC part immensely, since I have/am a crappy stick welder (see what I did there) I burned through the pipe trying to weld in the thermocouple bungs. Had to seek help. Status: Got the patched inlet pipe back and need to put the front of the car back together.
- Spark plug and HT lead preventative replacement. Got colder DENSO IK22 plugs and Magnecor 8.5mm leads. Status: old plugs and leads removed, plenum removed. Found a rocker gasket oil leak/flood into spark plug wells. Status: blocked by rocker gasket job
- Rear rocker gasket overhaul. Since finding the leak I ordered a full gasket set from OZVR4. Took a month to get here, so now I can finally take care of it.
- ID1000 injectors: Trying to acquire a plug'n'play injector set from TME Steve of OZVR4. Figured I'd do the upgrade just for fuel economy for now, better overdo the injectors than run lean at any time.
- Deatschwerks 255lph pump. Sitting in a box, waiting to be installed.
- Fassi1's downpipes. Sitting in a corner, waiting to be installed.
- 3-port solenoid. Ditto.
- AYC pump - had the AYC error code when I bought the car. Even with the "special" pressure switch AYC felt like it barely worked. Got the OZVR4 refurb kit and tore the pump apart. Broke a solenoid while at it, and it is getting refurbished in a company in the UK. So this part is blocked until I get the solenoid back.
- Methanol injection. I got a deal on a AEM progressive meth kit - 200 GBP. It's getting delivered Monday-Tuesday. Installed who knows when at this rate.

Wish me luck! And I have to do all of the above within the next 1,5 months before I meet foxdie for a tuning session. And since I get such a chance 1/year...

chris g
26-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Sounds good but...

No matter what you do to the car to make it run perfectly in std spec or upgrade performance, it will be not be any use if you cannot drive the car effectively on track...

For me why change car if you are useless at learning a track or cnanot get speed, line and gear sorted to even get consistent performance...

If you cannot get full benefit of std power, handle 280 bhp and have confidence in your use of the car, why would you go for more power...?

If you are getting most out of std spec, using full performance on straights and effective through corners then change car but as ever brakes and handling first bring improvement...

Grid
26-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Thing is I like a lot of things about this car, and lap times is not my overriding motivator. I'm not going to give up the notion of getting tutored, and having more power under the hood does not mean I have to apply it all. Having it in there for the long straights would be nice. Same goes for the traffic lights grand prix.

Also I like modding this car, probably it's because this is the first car in my life I've modded. Upgrading the brakes with racing pads is the first thing I did to the car. I also discovered that "hot-spec" track pads on this heavy beast are perfect for every day use because the front brakes heat up so fast. Suspension will come too, but for reasons of rarity (more than anything else) suspension upgrades are expensive and a pain in the behind to get for this car. It will come though.

All in all this car is the definition of fun for me. I want to be able to take my kids to kindergarten/school at a leisurely pace, win the traffic lights GP on my way to work, do a reasonable lap on a Saturday and a shopping run to IKEA on a Sunday.

chris g
26-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Thing is I like a lot of things about this car, and lap times is not my overriding motivator. I'm not going to give up the notion of getting tutored, and having more power under the hood does not mean I have to apply it all. Having it in there for the long straights would be nice. Same goes for the traffic lights grand prix.

Also I like modding this car, probably it's because this is the first car in my life I've modded. Upgrading the brakes with racing pads is the first thing I did to the car. I also discovered that "hot-spec" track pads on this heavy beast are perfect for every day use because the front brakes heat up so fast. Suspension will come too, but for reasons of rarity (more than anything else) suspension upgrades are expensive and a pain in the behind to get for this car. It will come though.

All in all this car is the definition of fun for me. I want to be able to take my kids to kindergarten/school at a leisurely pace, win the traffic lights GP on my way to work, do a reasonable lap on a Saturday and a shopping run to IKEA on a Sunday.

Nothing wrong with mods and as lap times are not the objective my comments are not really valid...

so enjoy yourself with the modifications and have fun with the car wherever you can...

Grid
26-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Nothing wrong with mods and as lap times are not the objective my comments are not really valid...

so enjoy yourself with the modifications and have fun with the car wherever you can...

Forgot to add how I always appreciate your comments Chris, cheers! There should be a button to change the title of this thread - it's becoming more of a build thread than anything else in fact. If I end up getting better at tracking I might boast post ;)