PDA

View Full Version : Tein pillow ball top mounts

Davezj
14-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Hi all,

i am after some advice/information on how the pillow ball top mounts are supposed to be assembled with the washers, spacer, collars top bearing insert.

per top mount i have a normal big disk washer, a normal collar5mm high , a 15m high barrel spacer, a top bearing insert.
now i know the bearing insert goes into the top of the spherical bearing in the top mount, but i dont know what orientation the other bits go in, or even if i have the correct parts to properly attach the pillow ball top mounts to the shock.
The collar is the standard one that fit normal shocks, it fits on the step in the shock piston below the big disk washer . the rubber bushing normally sits on top of this but i have the metal spacer however the spacer is wider than the inside diameter of the spherical bearing in the top mount, so it does not look like it should fit this way.

the spacer will fit directly onto the shock piston and sit in place nicely then the smaller diameter collar can fit on top of the spacer and it will fit inside the spherical bearing and mate to the bottom of the top bearing insert, but there is no place for the big disk waser to go. seames fine but when the top mount goes on the threaded part of the shock piston stops before the top of the top shouck mount. so even if the nut was done up as tight as it can go the top mount would rattle about.
maybe i just need to make some bigger spacers to fit the space i have to fill.

i can post pictures up up of the spacers and other parts if you think it will help.

any ideas guys.

Pugme
15-09-2015, 12:02 AM
I'd actually quite like some pics please dave, for a completely different reason tho haha

I have camber "issues" my shock is kinda in the way of the arm that joins my wishbones and cambering my shock would be ideal.

I was planning over with ter to have my shocks off and reconditioned, and at that time was going to investigate custom top mounts, but seeing as your teins are apart, you could help me ��

Davezj
15-09-2015, 12:56 AM
here is a pic i have got from the web i have the fronts pillow ball top mounts with no camber adjustment as VR4 camber is not done via the shock mount, but it does have the what looks to be the same mounting hardware spacers, collar, etc. so it is the group of parts top left in the pic.

Davezj
15-09-2015, 05:55 PM
any ideas?

mcosworth
15-09-2015, 10:11 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/4019944857d11f830c22d02772dd77f6.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
I hope it helps.

mcosworth
15-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Ups... Something gone wrong.

Davezj
15-09-2015, 10:34 PM
unfortunately that picture looks like the standard top mount with the rubber bushing fitted.

i need the pillow ball top mount arrangement which has the spherical bearing pressed into the top mount, so it does not have any rubber bushing in it.
but thanks for posting up the picture anyway.

mcosworth
15-09-2015, 10:44 PM
73418 You're welcome Dave. What about this?

Davezj
15-09-2015, 10:45 PM
i might have found what i looking for but it is in japanese.

Davezj
15-09-2015, 10:54 PM
i have older Tein HA shocks and they are not the same as the HA doc shown above.
the above doc is the style of pillow ball top mount but they are not exactly the same as i have, and there seems to be two types of top pillow inserts one has the nut built into it and the other like i have has a separate top pillow insert and top mount retaining nut.

So i think i need to do the following,
larger 15mm spacer onto shock piston
then large washer
then small 5mm collar
then pillow ball top mount
then top pillow insert
then retaining nut on last.

This seems to what the pictures are suggesting.

what do you think?

you can see on pic 10 that part listed as 6 is the nut and pillow top insert in one piece, the numbering does not actually mention the larger spacer that goes on the shock piston first but it clearly shows it.

i have contacted tein UK to try and get the Tein HA with pillow ball top mounts manual form them but had no contact back.

John TheAntique
16-09-2015, 09:42 AM
Have you spoken to Yukiko, "kiko", at Tein 01908632861 Ext 7255 she is usually very helpful .

Davezj
16-09-2015, 12:48 PM
I will give her a try talking to someone is easier than trying to type what tho want to know. Thanks jon