PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions

Bazlightyear
03-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi all,

I've bought a '97 Legnum VR4 Type-S 10 days ago and I'm well impressed by how easy it is to just poodle around in. The ride is firm but liveable with. I haven't got round to chucking it into corners yet.

The driving position is similar to the Transit I drive for work, nice door rest and centre arm rest. Talking of centre consoles the first thing I looked for was the little flip-out cup holder in the centre pocket. Imagine my surprise when I found the one in the lid of the centre console.

Just a couple of niggles though, the front driver and passenger door courtesy light switch works the red lights in the doors but not the two in the roof. The bulbs are OK because you can switch the rooflights on. Any ideas?

I've got paperwork saying the car is fitted with a "Cartek" speedo converter and delimiter. I checked the speedo against my Garmin GPS and found the speedo reads 10% slow, when the speedo indicates 30mph the GPS reads 33mph and at 70mph indicated I'm doing 76ish.

I also found out that the delimiter may not be wired in because at ***mph the limiter kicked in.

Finally, THERE BLOODY QUICK.

Cheers,

Barry

adam_shaw
03-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Hey,

Glad you're enjoying the car!

Not to take the pi$$ ot anything (someone has to do it - first step in any debug - check the feckin' obvious) the switch for the courtesy lights should be in the middle position, then they should come on with the doors.

Do we get to see pictures?

I found my speedo to read a little on the 'safe' side (i.e. slow) are your wheels tyres standard (16" with.... I can't remember...)

Keep on enjoying it.

A

Smokinmasta2
03-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey,

Glad you're enjoying the car!

Not to take the pi$$ ot anything (someone has to do it - first step in any debug - check the feckin' obvious) the switch for the courtesy lights should be in the middle position, then they should come on with the doors.

A

Yeah, them bloody switches seem to be rubbish on all Mits, My FTO was like it drivers side, and both of my freinds EVO 4 were replaced - new ones i found for only £9 though!!!
But there again, the door lights are also switched from this ...................or not???
Smokin...................

adam_shaw
03-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Yep, same switch for all courtesy lights.

Have to be careful changing them, the wire has a tendancy to dissapear back into the frame :eek

A

Bazlightyear
04-03-2005, 12:09 AM
I've tried the roof switch in all positions but still no luck. I need to get the small panel on the front bumper before any pictures are shown.

SGHOM
04-03-2005, 12:26 AM
I need to get the small panel on the front bumper before any pictures are shown.
had a piece of mesh/chicken wire on mine since I bought it !! :embarasse I wouldn't worry too much :smug:

bernmc
04-03-2005, 11:53 AM
I've got paperwork saying the car is fitted with a "Cartek" speedo converter and delimiter. I checked the speedo against my Garmin GPS and found the speedo reads 10% slow, when the speedo indicates 30mph the GPS reads 33mph and at 70mph indicated I'm doing 76ish.

I also found out that the delimiter may not be wired in because at ***mph the limiter kicked in.
The speedos tend to overread as a safety device. The car won't get through SVA if it underreads by even the tiniest margin. There's a company in Nottingham that do a programmable converter - plugs in to a plam so you can adjust for different tyre sizes, alter the error etc.

I'm not sure eactly what goes on with these delimeters - Many SVA preps don't seem to bother about it - they just plug in a speedo converter. I think the better convertors alter the feed to the ECU, so although the delimeter is still in place, the ECU never gets to know that you're doing warp factor 10.

I must get off my bum today and sort these things out. My car arrives in two weeks, and I still haven't decided whether I should do the SVA prep myself or not.../help

Bazlightyear
05-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Now that the honeymoon period is over I had a good check over the car and found the garage hadn't changed the oil/filter as promised and the battery is still what looks as though it's come off a Nissan Micra, small posts and equally small size.

More disturbing is what looks like a vacuum unit underneath the front behind the rad on the nearside has the small pipe broken off and it's sucking air. The tickover was slightly irratic but with the pipe blocked it runs smooth.

Suggestions please.

Cheers,

Barry

Kieran
05-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Now that the honeymoon period is over I had a good check over the car and found the garage hadn't changed the oil/filter as promised and the battery is still what looks as though it's come off a Nissan Micra, small posts and equally small size.

More disturbing is what looks like a vacuum unit underneath the front behind the rad on the nearside has the small pipe broken off and it's sucking air. The tickover was slightly irratic but with the pipe blocked it runs smooth.

Well, oil & filter is straightforward enough. THe teeny-tiny battery indicates that the car is probably a 'warm area specification' VR-4 - The 'Cold area specification' Galants/Legnums have beefier batteries, alternators and extra undersealing. I wouldn't worry about the alternator, but make sure the underneath of the car is undersealed properly.

Regarding the vacuum unit... I think you've located the factory fit dump valve. It's connected to the turbo inlet pipes and it sounds like the vacuum line that operates the diaphragm has come away. Basically this means that the valve won't recycle when you change gear or step off the throttle, but at standard boost levels, I wouldn't think that this is too much of an issue.