PDA

View Full Version : getting to know my car lol.

Nikkei
20-10-2015, 06:04 PM
after long ownership and the car has always been service by dealer so I don't know much about it and bring such a big lump there isn't much room in there lol.

now I thinking I would try change the belts and the oil also want to fit my HKS air filter but I run into few things right away hahaha so let me ask for some expert advise :).

any info on how todo belt change? what oil should be used in winter time? where can I buy an MAF intake adapter for the air filter? and would these brakes fit?.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-MITSUBISHI-LANCER-EVO-5-6-FRONT-AND-REAR-BREMBO-CALIPERS-GROOVED-FRONT-/161864040820?hash=item25afd94174:g:oGkAAOSwo0JWJmI x

John TheAntique
20-10-2015, 08:24 PM
There are over 100 articles on " how to " in the members section including a detailed bolt by bolt how to change the belts. £20 on the membership fee will be the best £20 you will ever spend on your car. Don't bother with the HKS filter, it won't make you go any faster and it may make it slower it just looks pretty for the chavs. Spend the money on a FMIC and boost controller or get your ECU flashed, that will make a world of difference. Good luck.

Nick Mann
20-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Those brakes will fit a 99 on VR4. There is lots of useful information here that you can often find with a search. ;)

Nikkei
23-10-2015, 11:12 PM
There are over 100 articles on " how to " in the members section including a detailed bolt by bolt how to change the belts. £20 on the membership fee will be the best £20 you will ever spend on your car. Don't bother with the HKS filter, it won't make you go any faster and it may make it slower it just looks pretty for the chavs. Spend the money on a FMIC and boost controller or get your ECU flashed, that will make a world of difference. Good luck.

I been reading a lot on here and its a great place for info on those VR4 :)

Nikkei
23-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Those brakes will fit a 99 on VR4. There is lots of useful information here that you can often find with a search. ;)

I have been reading and its great place for the VR4 and I am between those brembo and those Carbotech XP-8 pads :)

Confused
26-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Standard brakes with Carbotech pads make a great combination.

I've just ordered my 3rd set of XP-8 pads for mine (I thought it was my 4th set, but not according to their system!)

Grid
26-10-2015, 03:48 PM
I am very happy with stock calipers, stock disks, Ferodo DS3000 front and DS2500 back. Top it off with Motul RBF 660 brake fluid and you are set for heavy braking, and track days too.

Carbotech XP8 pads are not competitively priced to use mild language. A set of XP8's is 300 pounds, twice the price of my Ferodo setup. A track ready XP10 front, XP8 rear set is even more - 350.

Pugme
26-10-2015, 03:57 PM
I couldn't handle the squeal of the xp8's bit then I don't drive my car properly lol

My mushroom filter is secured with a piece of Mdf inbetween the map and the filter lol, it's never caused a problem, and I can't say I noticed any difference in performance, so it is just aesthetic. (I needed to put it in as my hinges were in the way of the airbag)

Grid
29-10-2015, 11:09 AM
DS3000's squeal only when you brake like a girl :laugh: When used properly - no squeals.

Dimes
06-11-2015, 08:20 PM
A lot depends on how you drive really, standard brakes with uprated pads are good. But if you want real braking confidence? Brembos are the only way to go, putting decent brake fluid in makes a huge difference to imo.

Nikkei
08-11-2015, 08:08 PM
thx to confused for the info with brakeparts and they weren't far so got myself full kit and sorted out the F/B calipers and also got some xp8 to try out ;)
will let you know how they are soon.

I did use the DS for few years and yeh they make noise when use easy but before that I was on those red stuff lol.

Nikkei
29-03-2016, 05:51 PM
hey guys..hows everyone?

been working oversea pass few months and now back to the really great UK weather..WTF lol.

took the car out for a drive/wash and lucky I was going to wash then do the drive..my back brake has seized up making the a lot of heat on the wheel so took it home got it jack up to have a look..the slider pins has rusted so bad its not even moving and I worry about snapping the 13mm bolt if I force it off..it took few hours of wd40 then abit of heat and it come out so I rang brakeparts up and they say they don't have the back slider pins..anyone knows where I can get some?

Davezj
29-03-2016, 10:03 PM
hey guys..hows everyone?

been working oversea pass few months and now back to the really great UK weather..WTF lol.

took the car out for a drive/wash and lucky I was going to wash then do the drive..my back brake has seized up making the a lot of heat on the wheel so took it home got it jack up to have a look..the slider pins has rusted so bad its not even moving and I worry about snapping the 13mm bolt if I force it off..it took few hours of wd40 then abit of heat and it come out so I rang brakeparts up and they say they don't have the back slider pins..anyone knows where I can get some?

mitsi dealer or ebay for the bolts.

the bolts should not have gone rusty really, they should covered in grease so they can't rust and have a the bellows rubber seal expanding gattor over any of the bolt that would have been exposed by the movenet of the calliper. the bellows/gattor seal goes between the caliper and the mounting bracket and covers the bolt.

the bolts require red rubber grease for the bolt with the rubber slide seal (top bolt i think).
i use copper grease for the other bolt with no slide seal (bottom bolt i think).

Nick Mann
29-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Copper grease can go cloggy. I use high temp red grease on both pins.
You could try viamoto for the pins? I think camskill used to do them before they closed their parts department. They are the same as other cars including the evo 4 and some outlanders.

Nikkei
29-03-2016, 11:31 PM
yeh i know what ya saying dave cuz the front was same but they come out like they should and those back one was not coming out without some help from the heat gun.

once they were out..the pin was in real bad shape and the rubber thing was in bits also no grease inside or anywere lol.

i will go dealer and get some if do sell..are the 2.5 N/A have same back brake as the VR4? so i know what to ask for when i am there.

Nikkei
29-03-2016, 11:32 PM
hey nick..thx for that m8.

i will pop down and get some tomorrow :)

Nick Mann
30-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Some N/A models have the same caliper but with a different mounting and smaller disc. A dealer will be able to get the part number using your chassis number.

Nikkei
30-03-2016, 02:57 PM
rang dealer up and got them but was abit shock at the price lol.

4 slider bolts £54
2 rubber seal kit £85
set of rear pad £40

since the car was jack up I thought I check the suspension and it look like those are on way out too so was thinking should I get some coil overs but I am worry of the hard ride they give.

what do you guys do? coil overs or just use factory stuff?

chris g
30-03-2016, 03:40 PM
No avoid coilovers unless you really need that quality/adjustability -you can get replacement stuff of better quality than std without expense of coilovers...

And just to say my bit again in a thread about brakes, you do NOT need Brembos to have confidence in your brakes even if you are a hard-charging driver - choose right pad with decent discs and you will be ok - have decent brake fluid but despite some views, it does not improve brakes i.e. the stopping capability.

Get Brembos for 'the look' and you need bigger wheels and bigger tyres with all the consequent expense....

peter thomson
30-03-2016, 07:12 PM
I should have plenty slider bolts if you need

Nikkei
01-04-2016, 02:49 PM
wow I thought the summer was here yesterday but today I guess I was wrong lol.

wasn't hard to re-con the rear brakes..only thing that was the hand brake cable being hard to come off but got it all sorted now so thx guys for the info/help :).
chris g..after some thinking and knowing I wont use the car as much cuz of working oversea I now think better just use some normal setup then going coilovers so I call Bilstein UK but being an import they don't have the list so will have to wait for them to get back to me on Monday and see what they have for the VR4.

i understand a good combo sometime work much better then some aftermarket stuff and i just got some Carbotech pads before i went oversea so when i re-con the brake i have fit them at the same time and now UK start to warm up and some dry roads i will give them a try see how they are.
peter..thx man for the bolts but I got them from the dealer but if those bolts fail again then I will know who to ask.

thinking of getting rid of those 18s and back to some light weight 17s but worry about the car being heavy and hitting those pot holes will deffo kill those light weight rims lol.

chris g
01-04-2016, 04:00 PM
wow I thought the summer was here yesterday but today I guess I was wrong lol.

wasn't hard to re-con the rear brakes..only thing that was the hand brake cable being hard to come off but got it all sorted now so thx guys for the info/help :).
chris g..after some thinking and knowing I wont use the car as much cuz of working oversea I now think better just use some normal setup then going coilovers so I call Bilstein UK but being an import they don't have the list so will have to wait for them to get back to me on Monday and see what they have for the VR4.

i understand a good combo sometime work much better then some aftermarket stuff and i just got some Carbotech pads before i went oversea so when i re-con the brake i have fit them at the same time and now UK start to warm up and some dry roads i will give them a try see how they are.
peter..thx man for the bolts but I got them from the dealer but if those bolts fail again then I will know who to ask.

thinking of getting rid of those 18s and back to some light weight 17s but worry about the car being heavy and hitting those pot holes will deffo kill those light weight rims lol.

And with lower profile tyres as well on 17s...

Nikkei
12-04-2016, 04:46 PM
been looking around and i found some bilstein B6 and koni sport but the koni only have front in the UK and rear in Italy so i order the B6 at £480 also got hold of eibach for springs which they will get back to me and think it will be coming from japan so going to use the factory spring on the B6 see how they go and if no luck in springs then i will get a set made with a small drop on them.

i been looking at some TE37 and BBS LM..the BBS is not light compare to the TE37 also thinking of the Team D's PRO 3 but if i can find some MO6 at nice price then i will go with Compomotive MO6 :).

Nikkei
16-04-2016, 01:11 PM
the bilstein is here so going to put them on the car but I really want to know what is the factory spring high cuz I want to lift the front up maybe 1in to clear the humps we have around here lol..the springs on the car now seem tobe lower springs and the gap from arch to top of wheel is about 1 1/2in with 17/45/235..any one got the factory springs measurement and spring rate?.

I couldn't get any eibach from euro zone and I cant wait 5-6 week for them coming from japan so gonna use the factory springs for now till I can find some right one for the car.

Nikkei
14-05-2019, 02:45 PM
hey guys.

its been a while and with working overseas make hard to keep up with everything going on..I hope you all are well and still kicking.

i think its time for me to let the car go and let someone else look after it..i just don't have the time or enough knowhow to fix them and its sad to see the car just sat there dying.

anyone fancy taking over as carer?.

Nikkei
15-08-2021, 11:12 PM
its time to let the car go coz i am sad looking at it sitting there each time i come back home from working on the cargo ship so any1 like to look after it?.

import in 2000 auto 2.5 TT VR4 S with full recaro.

if anyone want info or see the car can text me on 07871684130..the car is in manchester 3 miles from town.

i will leave sale here for 1 week for you guys then will goto ebay.