PDA

View Full Version : Best products for washing your car!

Brind
23-07-2003, 10:23 PM
I've been using Autoglym (http://www.autoglym.co.uk/index2.html) products since I bought the VR-4 a couple of months ago.
I must say they are excellent products!
I bought a selection of different products from them which altogether one would need a bank loan to afford, but never the less they are certainly worth it!!

I bought the usual wash and shampoo, resin polish, glass cleaner, wheel cleaner and even bought the tar remover solution because tar spots really show up on my car, but last but not least the extra gloss polish.

I had only washed the car before with the basic wash and shampoo but since I wasn't busy today I polished it too, and since I hadn't used it before, I also used the extra gloss solution which takes between 30mins to 1 hour to do its thing.. which in one word is SUPERB! although after I finished applying it and hoovered the car.. it started to bloody rain!!! :mad: it hadn't been on the car as long as recommended but I tried to polish it off asap it case the rain made it go weird! which knowing my luck it probably would! anyway I got it done and believe me it was an absolute! :mad2: to remove!!!!!!! I'm sure it was because I hadn't given it enough time before wiping it off, so bare in mind if this happens to you.

Anyway, I must say the car is absolutely stunning now!! the hard work has payed off and I can highly recommend using Autoglym stuff if you haven't already tried it!!
The resin polish is very easy to remove unlike other types of polish I have tried.

I just have to touch it up on Saturday now if I get the time, ready for J.A.E.

Sorry for the long story but I thought I'd share it with you as I'm sure most of you are very keen on keeping your cars equally in top condition!!!

And Barry, you can completely discount everything you have just read! :D :D ;)

Spirit
23-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Brind

You are spot on mate. My valeter who machine polished my car is an approved Autoglym agent and uses nothing but their products. Of course following his advice we only use them aswell now.

If you read the bottles you will see they are used by the likes of Aston Martin aswell and my valeter has a contract with the local TVR dealer to do all their new cars before they are delivered to the customer.

In short, the products may be a little more expensive - but ain't your VR4 worth it ?

Pete

the_boy
24-07-2003, 09:20 AM
I use AutoGlym on my car but I'll probably be switching next time round to Meguiars.

Some of the guys on another forum give this a massive thumbs up and rate it a lot higher than AutoGlym. No harm in trying it :cool:

-LegnumVR4-
24-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Meguiars for me to wash, tyres, metal polish, leather cleaner. All work great.

I use a product called KEM-PRO to polish and wax the car in one step.

Nick VR4
24-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I use Mer
It is pretty good plus you can use it in sun light
A lot of polishing wax or creams state dont use in direct sun light .
You can add Mer to the water so it polishes as you wash it
It can also be used on chrome , alloys etc

I polised it last week and looks pretty good

SGHOM
24-07-2003, 10:00 PM
I use a product called " Rachael " .its 11 years old now, but still pretty good ! & it only costs me a couple of quid each time. & if the end result is not up to scratch !! she does it again !!

peterernest
30-07-2003, 02:47 PM
DEFINITELY TRY TURTLE WAX EXTREME IN THE BRIGHT GREEN BOTTLE.

ALL THE TEAM AT WORK USE IT ENTHUSIASTICALLY. AFTER A COUPLE OF WASHES YOU'LL NOTICE IT REPELLS DIRT AND THERE'S LITTLE NEED FOR REGULAR POLISHING.

Japmetal
30-07-2003, 08:59 PM
I've only really ever washed my car using run-of-the-mill shampoo [dont worry, I'm not neglecting a VR4 yet !] but the Autoglym wheel cleaner [the stuff I had had an orange label on] is the dogs bollocks for the job; it's what kept the WHITE wheels on my previous car almost blinding in direct sunlight :D

If the rest of the Autoglym products are this good [and i intend finding out soon] I can highly recommend them !

jtfleming
08-08-2003, 05:34 AM
Meguiars or Mothers seem to work well for me. One thing my bro pointed out to me was to take off the strips on the roof, all the dirt and crap gets caught underneath, a real pain to put back on so allow plenty of time. At least we don't salt our roads in winter like you poor guys in the UK, It must play havoc with your car.

Kieran
13-08-2003, 08:15 PM
I've been reasonably pleased with AutoGlym, but not stunned... Some of the Turtle wax extreme stuff seems as good, if a little less easy to apply. That said, I think the galant deserves better than Turtle Wax, but then again I may just be a badge snob and a touch obsessive!

Once my current hoard of car cleaning products is depleted INSERT INTO post VALUES (a mix of AutoGlym and Tutle Wax) I'll try the Meguiars range. I like to have a cleaner/protector for nearly every surface possible, so I'll be getting a fairly broad range of their stuff, I think.

Once I've tried Meguiars, I'm toying with the idea of Zymol, but we'll see.

Obviously, I'll post my findings re: Meguiars on here:)

SGHOM
13-08-2003, 09:05 PM
anybody risked steam cleaning their engines ? I used to help a mate out many years ago, & only about 1 in 5 cars actually started after they were done !! even trying to cover the electronics didn't always work.

Spirit
14-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Yep mine was done by my valeter - started first time and has been perfect ever since INSERT INTO post VALUES (done 3 months ago or so)

Kieran
17-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Well, I said I'd keep you updated:)

My collection of polishes and stuff is almost depleted.

When I've looked into cost, I've got a little scared by both Meguiars and Zymol - Indeed, with all the different products I use on my car INSERT INTO post VALUES (a different cleaner for almost every surface); The Zymol idea went out the window - I'd have been looking at about £270!!:scared1:

Meguiars is somewhat cheaper, and I've found a place that sells both the standard retail and the 'Pro' stuff INSERT INTO post VALUES (the public can buy either). I've ordered a Paint care kit that consists of all three of the 'Deep Crystal' products, a pack of foam applicator pads, and two cotton terry towels.... £35.

Have a peep here:Extreme Car Care (http://www.extremecarcare.co.uk/)

When it arrives, I'll let you know, and, if my bloody digital camera behaves, I'll see about some 'Before' and 'After' shots...

enigma
17-09-2003, 11:24 PM
If you want to try it regularly on my car drop me a note!!!! :D