PDA

View Full Version : Getting Tinted

scc
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm considering getting the windows tinted.

Has anyone had this done on their car with satisfied results from any particular company?

And whats the best percentage of shade and colour for a black galant?
I can't find the OEM spec for their usual shade and colour of tints.

Cheers!
Scc

Big Ian
04-03-2005, 01:10 AM
i think you are only allowed to block out 25% sun light? (must be 75% day light inside the car),do a quick search on google and you'll get all your answer's for the legal side of thing's also some insurance company's dont allow "after market tint's"

Zeke
04-03-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm considering getting the windows tinted.

Has anyone had this done on their car with satisfied results from any particular company?

And whats the best percentage of shade and colour for a black galant?
I can't find the OEM spec for their usual shade and colour of tints.

Cheers!
Scc

Black car = black tint, maybe the more expensive solar ones too. I have mine on 20% black, night time viewing is fine. Oh but don't live in England and i'm pretty sure 20% all around over there is not legal :)

freaksnzl
04-03-2005, 03:45 AM
got mine done a week ago in NZ we are only allowed 35% tints on saloons but on stationwagons we are allowed 5% all around expect the front have to be 35%. do not know why. the main reason i have been thinking of changing my galant vr4 to legnum vr4.

firefly
04-03-2005, 03:58 PM
If you going to a reputable company for your tinting - i.e. they are going to do it for you then they won't put illegal tints on your windows.

I also thought that it was only the windscreen and the drivers and front passenger side windows that needed to be legal tints, the rest of the windows can be as dark as you want.

To get around the insurance issue you could placate them by getting defender tints which involves applying a tinting film which prevents tea-leafs smashing your windows to get to your valuables (so to speak!). The film holds all the shattered glass fragments in place making smash and grab tricky for our little fiends!

Let me know how it goes and I plan to tint my windows once I done my clutch, brakes etc etc!!

dubstar
04-03-2005, 09:12 PM
yep only the front windows need to be legal, and good tinting website list the rules, sunstrip can be a max of 8 inches deep. all rear passenger and tailgate etc can be as dark as you want.

most insurance companies won't charge you extra as thieving *&^% cant see in and therefore won't smash the windows. just make sure you tell them. I konow lifesure didn't charge me more after i had them done

nobbymogs
13-03-2005, 11:18 AM
i used to have a tinting business and there are loads of stupid rules

you are not allowed any tint forward of the "B" Post any vehicle that does could face a fine or vehicle being impounded this has happened down here...........

sunstrips arent are i think around 7 inches but another little tip is for MOT is that the wipers are not allowed to touch the strip so a quick remedy is to put smaller wipers on for the test

hope this helps

there is a little trick to help you get away with a full vehicle tint is that to have a light tint all round as tints reflect off each other
if your
the way they work it out is that you are allowed 35% tint on the front but there is already tint in the glass so you have to take this in to account

_simon_
14-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't think you're allowed 5% on station wagons in NZ. You can have 5% on commercial vechiles and vechiles with 9 or more seats. The tints on the Legnums aren't 5%, but having said that they do look darker than 35%. Maybe its because the glass is tinted and its not a film that it looks darker. I'll get it measured when I get the front of my car done.

ANTHONY
13-04-2005, 09:40 PM
any idea of the cost to have back window and rear sides done?

Spirit
13-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I would guess around £150-£200 most places mate.

paulmc
13-04-2005, 09:49 PM
I did my Audi and was £40 per window

Polabear
14-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Cost me £120 for my two fronts and its also a security film tint... :thumbsup:

scc
14-04-2005, 06:25 PM
I've yet to do mine because everyone is quoting ridculus prices.

I've been given quotes for around 350 pounds!!!!! :rolleyes4
I'm at a point where I'm going to tint the car myself.....BUT! No place stock the tint I want.

Where can I get LLumar tint? :inquisiti

scc

Lurch
14-04-2005, 09:05 PM
When I get a spare $200 will finish the tinting on mine, have factory tints at the back so with 35% tints at the front and a bar across the top of the windscreen it should look awesome :)