PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pricing question...

cwgt93
29-10-2015, 08:59 PM
I've noticed that my clutch release bearing has started to rattle randomly at idle lately. The clutch rattles when engaged and I was told this was normal? It's an uprated clutch - spefically what, I'm not sure. Anyway, it's apparent that it's on its way out. The garage I use stated that he's not 100% on the cost and fitment of a new one, although not to expect much change from £1000. Is this a fair estimate guys? Cheers.

TAR
29-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Clutch and lightened flywheel would possibly cost £600. Fitting would be half day. It could get to 1k I guess. :happy:

Nick Mann
29-10-2015, 11:16 PM
It is also possible that the rattle is not the release bearing but the inlet shaft bearing in the gearbox.

billybobboot
31-10-2015, 05:56 PM
i know this sounds silly but have you checked the cat heat sheild, i had this where though after box was rebuilt it was the bearing or the gear box once i had it in the air after i bought it it was the heat sheild ratteling took it off rattle gone might be worth a look!

Atik
05-11-2015, 05:50 PM
... not to expect much change from £1000. Is this a fair estimate guys?

I would agree with that.

From my experience back in 2009/10, I was looking at £600+ for any decent enough clutch. I think cheaper clutches were available, around £400, but the difference in cost saving to the significantly weaker clutches wasnt worth it, therefore I went for an Exedy one for £600. Our own Nick Mann fitted mine back then.

gareth001
06-11-2015, 07:00 PM
i know this sounds silly but have you checked the cat heat sheild, i had this where though after box was rebuilt it was the bearing or the gear box once i had it in the air after i bought it it was the heat sheild ratteling took it off rattle gone might be worth a look!

All that pain after I had the gearbox taken back out to be checked after the rebuild to be something as simple as the heat shield rattling!

billybobboot
08-12-2015, 10:25 AM
All that pain after I had the gearbox taken back out to be checked after the rebuild to be something as simple as the heat shield rattling!

Yep sorry after having driven it i was getting really anoyed by it so put in ramp and left running as the idle dropped listened for the noise then found the cat sheild loose held it and noise went. Took the sheild off and all gone. It was only after looking i then found it.

billybobboot
08-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Gareth when are you going to strap a supercharger to that thing?

gareth001
08-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Gareth when are you going to strap a supercharger to that thing? If I exchange it for a Hellcat! Either that or a C7

billybobboot
08-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Mmmm c7 although there not the best build.