PDA

View Full Version : just do it - hatch and wagon

ayu452
10-11-2015, 03:40 AM
Just do it?
For the past 5yrs I have been driving a bunky (EG Civic with no interior, ac, radio and suspension - unless you count some 14kg coil overs as suspension).
All the spare dollars have gone into building my Ralliart Colt track car Z27AG.
The other day, something went wrong with the Colt (I'm thinking a hole in the piston). I didn't want to look at it...for now.

A week later a Legnum now lives beside it? Bit of a rash decision.
It drove well on the test drive and I was happy. Euphoria, is one hell of a drug.
2 days later the alternator is dead :(
So it begins, two broken cars and a bunky Civic that I can't kill.

I hope the alternator is the worst to come for many years. Over ten years working on cars, this alternator has been the hardest job i've done.
I can pull an engine out quicker.

Most of my journey is available here http://ayu452.blogspot.com.au/
I have yet to upload much on the Regnum to the blog.
But started an album here https://picasaweb.google.com/108332953914491623400/MyRegnum6A13TT?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3m6u6k0rOHvQE

So for now it will be general maintenance, fixing up previous owners dodgy works.
Already re-wired the paddle shifter, adjusting the steering column would cause it to drop out.
The brake discs are some of the worst I have ever seen. No idea how one would get ridges in a brake disc @_@

But yeh, I will update the blog on the items i tackle.
Fuild replacement and small general tasks. Maybe one day a manual conversion + LSD.

Nick Mann
10-11-2015, 07:49 AM
Enjoy!
I like reading build threads, so I am looking forward to developments here.

/yes /rally

ayu452
12-11-2015, 07:53 AM
So after a battle of 14+ hrs the alternator is out.
I decided to take it out from above, little did I know what a pain it was going to be.

Started off easy, un-mounting the alternator.
Removed the rear timing belt cover
Then it still wouldn't come out.
Out came the alternator top mount bracket, but to pull that out the intake manifold support needed to come out.
Then the exhaust shield was in the way, so it came out.
Nope, it still didn't fit.
Time to drop the front pipe and remove the rear dump.
STILL DIDN'T FIT.
Remove the dump pipe stud...5hrs later of welding, bending and stretching it.
It came out!

I ordered a local FTO alternator, but it came to my door...80amp :(
Back it went to find another FTO re-manufacturer that doesn't a higher amp unit.
I hope today or tomorrow my 110A arrives.
In hindsight, maybe I should have just used the 80A sucker.

Davezj
12-11-2015, 02:22 PM
standard VR4 alternator is 100A cold spec alternator is 120A

alternator comes out through the front right wheel well past the crank pulley, remove alternator mounting bracket, and engine mount that bolts to the body of the car then move engine up or down on a trolley jack to wiggle the alternator out. it is a pain in the arse to do but that is how I have always done it.

will be interesting to read your build thread to see what you do.
if you want any advice or tips on doing jobs, just post them up and I sure someone will be along and give you a quick run through of the procedure, there are not may jobs that haven't been done before.
good luck, full paid up membership of the club get you access to the library with some useful manuals and how to guides, which will help a lot.

John TheAntique
12-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Following on from what Dave said there is an Article in the members section on "How to change the alternator" that gives a bolt by bolt description that would have saved you hours of work. There are over 100 similar articles covering just about everthing you could want to do so £20 membership fee will be the best investment you could make in your car.Enjoy

ayu452
13-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Cheers mate.
Couldn't find much info on the free web, so I just decided to clear my own path.

Ill look into the members area.

Thanks.