PDA

View Full Version : Parcel shelf removal

foxdie
12-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Well I just spent 10 mins using the search function for this, even checked the workshop manual, it's not clear how someone would remove the parcel shelf to change the rear speakers on a Galant, anyone know please? :)

Colin Wiltshire
12-11-2015, 05:06 PM
You have to remove the rear seats, to get at the clips behind the seat. I can't remember if there is anything to undo from boot upto shelf.

foxdie
12-11-2015, 05:46 PM
You have to remove the rear seats, to get at the clips behind the seat. I can't remember if there is anything to undo from boot upto shelf.

Mate, make your next post special, you're about to reach 2000 ;)

Chris.W
12-11-2015, 06:21 PM
I seem to remember not needing to take the parcel shelf out when i changed mine. I am pretty sure all i did was remove the plastic speaker covers and then swapped speakers followed by cover refit. Don't ask how I removed the covers, was a long time ago.
Somethings making me think there was some screws from inside the boot. Will have a look at the car later to see if it jogs my memory.

foxdie
12-11-2015, 07:43 PM
I'm actually trying to get the subwoofer in the parcel shelf out and that requires taking the whole shelf out :/

Bobby~d
12-11-2015, 09:05 PM
There are four (4) screws under each of the speaker covers in the trunk, just slacken/undo them and the cover pops out easily. For the shelf you have to remove the back rest/seat and there will be three (3) to four (4) plastic clips to remove and the shelf/upholstery and it will just lift right out. If you have a brake light on the shelf it is held in with a plastic clip on both sides if memory serves me right you will have to take it out and the boot cover/ upholstery will just lift out.
Hope this helps

foxdie
14-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Okay, got the damned thing out but I broke the subwoofer cover in the process, it does NOT clip off like the left and right rear speakers, it has a very thin piece of plastic holding it down to a metal ring which is then bolted down to the parcel shelf metal chassis with 4 x 10mm nuts to loosen off underneath in the boot;

Here's the 3 clips you need to remove to free the soft parcel shelf top;

And here you can see the metal ring which should have lifted away with the soft parcel shelf top (had the subwoofer cover not been broken off);

Hope this helps someone.

foxdie
15-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Just had to post these up, here's the various stages of rebuilding the subwoofer using this kit (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252152153659);

The speaker in its blown condition

The rebuild kit from eBay

Cleaning up the old foam

Removal of dust protector, shim inserted to help guide speaker once the glue has set

Glue setting and shim supporting

The finished speaker

And the best bit is it worked a charm, much more bass in the car now and no more crackling :thumbsup:

ersanalamin
25-11-2015, 03:35 AM
I might better buy up graded more powerfull 8 inch subs. BTW the stock factory head unit has no pre amp output, how do we connect the head unit with stock amps? does the amps has high power speaker input?