PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts after having owned a Galant VR-4..

Brind
23-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Thoughts after having owned this car for the last couple of months now..

Must say I absolutely love it, it makes you feel somthing special, even though alot of people still think it is still only a Jap car and not comparable against their Mercs and BMWs and the like.
You have the power to maneuver when ever you want and do pretty much whatever you want.
Although the ride is quite stiff and you feel most of the bumps in the road it is still very comfortable to use for long journeys, unfortuantly it isn't really possible to achieve a smooth ride and still have the option of the handling of these cars around corners at high speed.

The interior is excellent quality and everything fits properly, there is no squeaks or rattles although when at highspeed and you hit a large ish bumps the rear wiper can add to your converstaion for a mere 2 seconds but it happens very rarely, it took ages to identify it as the cause of the sound I was getting.
The exterior shows very high quality too.
The car is a fly magnet and yet I don't drive it all that often, maybe they like it too :) certainly don't for long! :D
Also find at least one AYC light and most bends, you just can't help yourself!

That's all I can think of right now, but if you guys could also tell us what you think of your car it could prove as a guide for those who are thinking about buying one too!

LOMY
23-07-2003, 11:09 PM
I've lost count of the number of different cars i've had over the last few years. BMW, Merc, Alfa Romeos amongst them INSERT INTO post VALUES (company cars all :cool1: )and to be honest, none of them gave me the levels of satisfaction i get from my VR4. As you say Brind the ride is a bit hard at low speed, but thats par for the course if you want solid handling at high speed. I saw my first VR4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (estate) in 97 coming out of a local Mitsu dealers and fell in love with its lines at first sight. Its taken me this long to get around to owning one and now i know my first instincts were right. For the money, this car is the 'dogs'. I take great pleasure in cruising along my usual routes at the legal limits and allowing the usual transporter trash INSERT INTO post VALUES (i.e. the hot hatches, scoobies etc) come up real close INSERT INTO post VALUES (as they cant seem to resist doing) then hitting roundabouts/twisties without brakes, ayc lights a-glowing :Eyecrazy: INSERT INTO post VALUES (love that icon ! :) ) S'funny but they always seem to keep a respectable distance after that.

Havnt met anyone yet who didnt love my car. Need i say more ?

Spirit
23-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Okay here goes:

Firstly as we had a Galant 2.0 GLX a few years back my wife decided she wanted another one instead of the boring Mazda 626 she had at the time. We had to make a decision - spend £10k on a quite new "normal" Galant or go for it and buy a VR4. Well I spent a couple of months looking at info/prices INSERT INTO post VALUES (and as Club VR4 did not exist this was a challenge in itself); and eventually we decided that fun was more important than cost and plumped for a VR4.

The next stage was to locate a decent one from a reliable source and after looking for a while we found two at Castlecroft Mitsubishi in Wolverhampton. So as it was the wife's birthday we made a day of it and drove there - plumped for the one we have and drove it back there and then.

As I had investigated costs/repairs/insurance/issues in advance we went into VR4 ownership with our eyes wide open and I am not going to moan about running costs. With a car this good I accept them. What is difficult to accept is the varying costs from Mitsy dealers for repairs etc and the lack of knowledge of one of their own cars INSERT INTO post VALUES (thank god for here).

The car itself? Love it and never regretted buying it for a minute. My wife loves it just as much and finds it so easy to drive and even cleans it herself sometimes twice a week :D

As Brind says the ride is a little harsh and the HKS springs we have fitted do not help this - scraps on the front skirt are common, but the car sticks to the road like glue and is a sheer pleasure to drive. If I could cure my slight 80mph wheel wobble I would be 110% happy. Sure we have spent a fair sum of money on tyres, exhaust, inductions kit, oil changes, cambelt, plugs etc but who cares !

If you are thinking of a Galant Sport then think again - this is the car you really want - c'mon you know you do !

Pete

Lee
23-07-2003, 11:45 PM
A good honest reliable quick car, comfortable, the tiptronic is suprisingly great especially for changing down, seeing another in your rear view makes you appreciate how good it looks. 8 out of 10 for me, just wish the back seats folded down!