PDA

View Full Version : Guide: How to restore the plastic runners of the auto gear box selector

menno3x8g
25-11-2015, 10:00 PM
The auto gearbox selector has a very nice chromed indicator panel assembly with illuminated display. If you move the selector some rolling shutters/runners are moving to prevent dust and dirt falling into the gearbox selector. Unfortunately these runners become aged and brittle because of the chosen plastic. If you try to clean them and especially with hot water, it will break. Same with mine, so it was time to make some action :D.

Originally this step-to-step guide was written for a LHD 2002 Galant. Doesn’t matter, I write it down for the RHD VR4s and mirrored the pictures now. For LHD only change left and right in the text and mirror the pictures again. You don't need to change the template.

The runner consists of 2 parts: 1 part is shifting from the front to the back and back, 1 part is shifting from right to left and back. The first part can’t be copied because it is moulded plastic. Here is my alternative: I think it is simpler and better than the original.

Used tools and materials:
- screwdrivers, flat and Phillips
- pipe spanner or long socket 12mm
- drill till diameter 10mm
- paper print of the template pdf (attached)
- transparent tape
- film: I used 0,8mm (not thicker!) polypropylene in any colour you want for the runners
- hole punch 11mm (or 10mm and a round stick to make 11mm)
- scissors and maybe razor knife
- time 1 hour

Part I: Remove the gear selector lever
1- the toughest part of the whole job is removing the push button of the gear selector lever without damaging it. You can use a small flat screwdriver to unhook on both sides
2- remove the spring and bumper
3- keep the three screws inside the shift knob as they are
4- loose and remove the nut/adjuster on the shift lever assembly with the pipe spanner 12mm
5- remove the shift knob (photo)

Part II: Remove the floor console between the seats and prepare the dashboard
6- pull the floor console panel of the gear selector at the rear upwards and remove
7- remove the cup holder assembly: first remove the ‘cheapest cupholder in space’, next remove the floor console box, then go into that hole with your hand and grab the cup holder assembly, press it at the sides where the hooks are and push it upwards (photo)
8- remove the floor console (5 screws), don’t forget to disconnect the illumination of the cupholder (the lock is on the underside)
9- now you discover that the 2 front screws holding the chrome panel are hidden under a part of the dashboard, so remove the dashboard OR better …
10- drill some holes in the plastic moulding of the dashboard just above the screws (don't hurry!); you need a diameter of approximately 10mm to get the screws out (photo)
11- remove the 4 screws holding the chrome panel and get it

Part III: The plastic runners
12- print the template pdf 100%
13- cut out the figures and leave some space between the cuts and the figures
14- stick them with the tape on the film
15- puncture the holes with the hole punch 11mm (photo)
16- cut the figures exactly (photo)
17- open the gear panel and place the small figure with its long arm to the right and in the groove near the display (photo)
18- on the small figure you place the symmetric figure, again with its long arm to the right in the groove (photo)
19- close the panel and test the shifts with a pencil in the hole (photo), there can be a bit resistance because of the freshness of the film
20- reassemble everything -> congrats, and thank you for your attention!
/Wave

foxdie
25-11-2015, 10:32 PM
As promised, positive rep added, very good write-up :)

Davezj
25-11-2015, 10:41 PM
excellent write up rep given.

i have already used the template and it works perfectly.
just make sure you measure the 13cm line to ensure the print is scaled correctly.

i will give you some rep for this but i have to give it to someone else first.

Grid
26-11-2015, 03:45 PM
I already sent some rep when you posted first time about this in another thread. Good job! :mexicanwav

gixer599
21-10-2023, 12:18 AM
Great write up, rep added